Arsenal Legends

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 pm

The more I think about it, the more the greatest legend in the club's history is actually Adams

10 major trophies

22 years at the club. NO other clubs on his playing CV whatsoever. None. Zero.

504 appearances

14 years as club captain stretching over three decades and under three managers

The greatest defender in terms of personal ability in the club's history, and that's saying something considering the defenders we've had.

He bridges the old Arsenal and the new. A fighter who would run through a brick wall for the club, in the mould of the club's founder David Danskin.... and a modern athlete who changed his ways when it was necessary to lengthen his career and win in the 21st century

The club's greatest ever hero, legend, icon.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18597
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Adams might be the ultimate Arsenal legend but he's no match for our Archbishop of Banterbury.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 25473
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

UFGN wrote:The greatest defender in terms of personal ability in the club's history, and that's saying something considering the defenders we've had.



Campbell.

Keown even said the genral consensus among our famous back four was that Campbell was better than Adams.

Ashley Cole is also up there, arguably the greatest LB of the 2000's.
Image



Invincibles Never Die
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 20821
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
UFGN wrote:The greatest defender in terms of personal ability in the club's history, and that's saying something considering the defenders we've had.



Campbell.

Keown even said the genral consensus among our famous back four was that Campbell was better than Adams.

Ashley Cole is also up there, arguably the greatest LB of the 2000's.


I thought about Campbell

I saw him play many times of course and he was fantastic.

Difficult to disagree with Keown, who was right up there himself as a great defender, but I do disagree

I clearly remember watching them both and Adams always not only managed the entire defence, but it would usually be his head clearing the ball away from danger. I never completely trusted Campbell to not make a mistake.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18597
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby starmandb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:How many players have won titles in 3 decades bar the fergie boys and Adams?

Lee Dixon
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 11375
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am

Nah, Camobell was pants during his second stint!

Adams had everything.
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6091
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Rockape » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:46 pm

UFGN wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
UFGN wrote:The greatest defender in terms of personal ability in the club's history, and that's saying something considering the defenders we've had.



Campbell.

Keown even said the genral consensus among our famous back four was that Campbell was better than Adams.

Ashley Cole is also up there, arguably the greatest LB of the 2000's.


I thought about Campbell

I saw him play many times of course and he was fantastic.

Difficult to disagree with Keown, who was right up there himself as a great defender, but I do disagree

I clearly remember watching them both and Adams always not only managed the entire defence, but it would usually be his head clearing the ball away from danger. I never completely trusted Campbell to not make a mistake.


Like Pat Jennings, marred by his previous club to ever be a Legend. Undoubtedly a great player, but not in the mould of Tony Adams. He may even have been a better 'footballer', but Adams was a leader of men and drove the team on relentlessly.

Finally....I was there that night when he went AWOL at HT after a first half to forget. A sad finish to his Arsenal career.

EDIT: just saw a headline in the Sun say Arsenal legend Per Mertesacker officially retires. They should have read this thread! :doh:
User avatar
Rockape
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Puerto Pollensa in my mind

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Phil71 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 am

Anyone mentioned Alan Smith?

115 goals and christ knows how many assists for Wrighty.

Made one and scored the other at Anfield in 89. Scored the winning goal in the Cup Winners Cup Final.

Legend
User avatar
Phil71
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am

To be fair .. not many have mentioned Smudger who absolutely should be a legend !!
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6091
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby UFGN » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Phil71 wrote:Anyone mentioned Alan Smith?

115 goals and christ knows how many assists for Wrighty.

Made one and scored the other at Anfield in 89. Scored the winning goal in the Cup Winners Cup Final.

Legend


Hardly ever gets a mention on this forum at all.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18597
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Rockape » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Nor does John Radford, another goal scoring legend.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

(With apologies to Robert Laurence Binyon)
User avatar
Rockape
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Puerto Pollensa in my mind

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Plans are being made to honour David Danskin, who founded Arsenal with work colleagues at the Royal Arsenal munitions factory in Woolwich, south-east London. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Coventry but the club intend to organise a headstone and hold a memorial service next year. (Coventry Telegraph)


One of my heroes
Ach
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11080
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 am

Ach wrote:
Plans are being made to honour David Danskin, who founded Arsenal with work colleagues at the Royal Arsenal munitions factory in Woolwich, south-east London. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Coventry but the club intend to organise a headstone and hold a memorial service next year. (Coventry Telegraph)


One of my heroes

I had no idea!! Taken long enough ffs!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6091
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Phil71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 am

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Anyone mentioned Alan Smith?

115 goals and christ knows how many assists for Wrighty.

Made one and scored the other at Anfield in 89. Scored the winning goal in the Cup Winners Cup Final.

Legend


Hardly ever gets a mention on this forum at all.


And probably the first prominent ex-gooner to be openly critical of Wenger.
User avatar
Phil71
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests