Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:So much over reaction. Give the guy time. Sit back and assess him over a significant number of games.

How many games should we give our £73m signing?
Zaka managed to show something and excite the fans quite quickly.

It only takes a couple of poor performances for Saka to all of sudden being a crap player. People won't remember this performance when he's having a bad spell. We need to calm down with the praise and drawing comparisons to other players but it will just get used in the future to beat the kid down. Already seeing the same being done to Nelson.

Quite right - I only care about players if they are playing well.
Not playing well? Meh - dump 'em.
Players are commodities - nothing more.
I do have a little more affinity with Saka, in truth, just a little. He's an English kid who has come through the youth set up.

I have more of affinity for the kids coming from our youth set up and as I'm getting older, trying to be more patient.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Can we stop with this "played out of position" nonsense. Obviously too early to judge him but this is not an excuse. It's not like he's being played as a defender.

He's a winger with an eye for the goal and he's been played on the right side consistently, irrespective of whether he's part of a 2 man or a 3 man offense.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Least of our worries. And already looks lively to boot.

He's simply settling down in a new league and new team. I don't understand why some people are going after him.

The clown known as Martin Keown was talking about Saka performing at a higher level than Pepe. First of all, I don't understand why anyone needs to be compared to anyone, especially a new player to basically a child in footballing terms. Secondly, Arsenal pundits are mostly dumb. Yet, this silent way of piling the pressure on a player is well known by now.

In a team that has as many clowns as we do and is as inconsistent and without identity as Arsenal, are we seriously going to be gunning down Pepe after a handful of games?

Get real.

Btw, as I predicted about our spectacular fanbase:

Angelito wrote:I just hope our vastly intelligent fans won't abuse him when they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo.

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:I think he will be chaos. A smoother alexis....but an alexis. A lot of high risk play where he will frustrate, make qrong decisions and magic. Some of his dribbling was soo smooth

As I stated, when we signed him, that hopefully people won't get on his back when they realize he's not Messi. Forget Messi, he's not even a Hazard or an Alexis.

I know how our fans are. Soon, they will start slating him when they come to see that he's not worth £72m per se in an ideal market.

But we need such tricky and dynamic players. We needed a winger (and a CM) the most. We've filled both positions spectacularly.

I doubt he scores and assists over 10 goals this season. His presence, however, will give enough space to Lacazette and Aubameyang. I do hope he goes on to have a great season for us and beds in well. He has all the talent in the world to succeed in the PL.

I'm really excited to watch him play. He's one player who'd benefit playing with Ozil the most.

Next, please?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:53 pm

"doubt he score AN D asissts more than 10 goals."
you mean either 10 gaols or 10 assists? or goals PLUS assists, the latter would suprise me greatly, unless he's injured.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 pm

lmfao I'm surprised it only took 6 games before some people started to turn on him.

At least give him half a season ffs
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Angelito wrote:Least of our worries. And already looks lively to boot.

He's simply settling down in a new league and new team. I don't understand why some people are going after him.

The clown known as Martin Keown was talking about Saka performing at a higher level than Pepe. First of all, I don't understand why anyone needs to be compared to anyone, especially a new player to basically a child in footballing terms. Secondly, Arsenal pundits are mostly dumb. Yet, this silent way of piling the pressure on a player is well known by now.

In a team that has as many clowns as we do and is as inconsistent and without identity as Arsenal, are we seriously going to be gunning down Pepe after a handful of games?

Get real.

Btw, as I predicted about our spectacular fanbase:

Angelito wrote:I just hope our vastly intelligent fans won't abuse him when they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo.

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:I think he will be chaos. A smoother alexis....but an alexis. A lot of high risk play where he will frustrate, make qrong decisions and magic. Some of his dribbling was soo smooth

As I stated, when we signed him, that hopefully people won't get on his back when they realize he's not Messi. Forget Messi, he's not even a Hazard or an Alexis.

I know how our fans are. Soon, they will start slating him when they come to see that he's not worth £72m per se in an ideal market.

But we need such tricky and dynamic players. We needed a winger (and a CM) the most. We've filled both positions spectacularly.

I doubt he scores and assists over 10 goals this season. His presence, however, will give enough space to Lacazette and Aubameyang. I do hope he goes on to have a great season for us and beds in well. He has all the talent in the world to succeed in the PL.

I'm really excited to watch him play. He's one player who'd benefit playing with Ozil the most.

Next, please?

Martin Keown a clown??? Behave.
If Pepe contributes even half of what Keown did for us, that will be ok.
Keown was correct - Saka looks, at this time, better than Pepe. It's just a fact.
It's a legitimate concern ref Pepe. We've spent £73m on this guy, a club record, and he looks far away from being a top player.
I hope his play is simply a case of him settling in a new country and with a new team, but let's not pretend he has looked anything but average so far (I am being kind). He also looks very lazy. I noted several occasions on Thursday night where he just gave up chasing when he lost the ball.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 am

StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:So much over reaction. Give the guy time. Sit back and assess him over a significant number of games.

How many games should we give our £73m signing?
Zaka managed to show something and excite the fans quite quickly.

I think you judge him too much by his transfer fee. Big mistake. It's not his fault what someone is willing to pay for him. If he was only 20 mil the expectations wouldn't be so high, but either way they should be the same, and so should our patience. He hasn't been bad at all, he just hasn't scored, which is also skewing your guys view of him imo.

I do judge him with his transfer fee in mind, yes. He is our record signing - we didn't pay £73m for potential.
I expect a lot more from him than Iwobi, for example - not less.
When I criticise a player, it's often taken as a blanket statement on the player for all time.
Often it is not. With Pepe, I am just calling the ball as it is - he looks like a big waste of money right now.
I too hope he tears up the league, but until he does, I'll judge him on what I see.

So you don't see potential or the fact that he's been played out of position in a new league on a new team, and then think "hmmm, maybe I should be a bit more patient". No, like I said, you let the transfer fee blind you from logic. Maybe he won't come good, its very possible. But bit early to judge him imo. This was similar to people judging Emery after our first few games last season. Which was even more ridiculous.

I don;t give a flying f**k about potential when it comes to a £73m signing. If you'd like to call that being blinded by the transfer fee, that's up to you. Fine. What I am not being blinded by is what he is doing - or in his case right now, not doing - on the field...and he is not playing out of position.

As for judging Emery early, I did not do that - however those that did and judged him poorly were correct. He's not up to it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:12 am

Looking forward to seeing him again this weekend he is going to be the goods just needs the monkey off his back
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:14 am

VCC wrote:Looking forward to seeing him again this weekend he is going to be the goods just needs the monkey off his back

Hope he scores a hat trick.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Jack The Ripper » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:34 am

Ok I don't think some of you guys get it and understand. You keep asking why are people so quick to Judge Pepe and why are they criticizing him??

Ok let me make you understand something, our club has never spent 73 million, its a HUGE amount of money, its absurd amount of money, but it is what it is. However when you have such a huge price tag and are our most expensive player ever then it comes with many problems.. and those problems are you basically have to be pure Gold every match or near enough every match, and getting off to an epic start is a must.

I'm sorry to say but this is the truth, if he was 13 million instead of 73 million then it can go under the carpet much easier and people will be less quick to judge.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby swipe right » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 am

Let’s look at how Wenger setup Sanchez and see if the same principles apply to Pepe.
1. Giroud did a sterling job in occupying the center halves and holding the ball up while Sanchez exploited the gaps left between CB and advancing FBs. If the same applies to Pepe, then we are better off pairing Pepe with Laca in the center than Auba.
2. Sanchez liked balls that he could run onto and that’s where Ozil was a big component to his game. He didn’t exchange too many passes once he was in the attacking third.
3. Sanchez saw a lot of the ball because the opposite flank did not have a star performer. Pepe’s problem is going to be that Auba when played on the left will see more of the ball than he will.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 am

Jack The Ripper wrote:Ok I don't think some of you guys get it and understand. You keep asking why are people so quick to Judge Pepe and why are they criticizing him??

Ok let me make you understand something, our club has never spent 73 million, its a HUGE amount of money, its absurd amount of money, but it is what it is. However when you have such a huge price tag and are our most expensive player ever then it comes with many problems.. and those problems are you basically have to be pure Gold every match or near enough every match, and getting off to an epic start is a must.

I'm sorry to say but this is the truth, if he was 13 million instead of 73 million then it can go under the carpet much easier and people will be less quick to judge.

I get what you are saying but in a month or two if he should start hitting numbers of a wright, Henry or Bergkamp will he still be a failure because he didn't score in his first month?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:16 am

Jack The Ripper wrote:Ok I don't think some of you guys get it and understand. You keep asking why are people so quick to Judge Pepe and why are they criticizing him??

Bale's first six appearances for Real Madrid: 1 goal, 1 assist

Pepe's first six appearances for Arsenal: 0 goals, 2 assists

:dontknow:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:56 am

Both sides have relevant points, yes we have to give him some time, but clearly he’s not looking VFM currently.

Doesn’t make it any easier for our Manager, who has to make the decision as to whether to keep starting him or bring him on late in the game.

Another difficult decision for Emery, of which he has a lot!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 am

Not starting him at home against Villa would be f***ing mental

I honestly can’t believe he has his doubters already, it’s evident he has everything there to be a star
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football