Bukayo Saka (7)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Phil71 wrote:I think what's more important is what's acceptable in the long and short term. By that I mean 1-2 years then 3-5 years.

By 1-2 years I want to be back in the top four, and by 3-5 years I want to be challenging for the title.

In my own mind I'm pissed off that we're not challenging for the league title right now. It's what Arsenal should be doing every year. But we are where we are and we have to be realistic.

I have a rather gloomy view of our situation for the next decade or so. I don't see us challenging for the title within the next 3-5 years unless we hire a competent manager and a visionary DoF. From an administrative point of view, the directors at this club haven't bathed themselves in glory with their management-level recruitments since Wenger left.

Top-4 is achievable. But that's again with the right manager. If we continue to scream, "process, project, future," that will never come. Football isn't like other businesses where austerity in the present alone yields success in the future. You have to have one eye on the future of course, but in football, if you can't maintain success in the present-day, there's a serious chance of lagging behind. Then, it becomes a merry-go-round of failures.

That's the sorry story the stadium move kick-started. We had Wenger back then. We don't have anyone near as good and as visionary as him in the club anymore.

Another thing is that the days of short-term managerial roundabouts is waning. It's coming full circle. These days, managers prefer to spend a bit longer at clubs, especially the top ones. Look at Simeone, Klopp, Pep, etc. They have been with their respective clubs for years now.

I think if we hire a top-class, world class manager, back him adequately, there's no doubt we would get back into the top-4. These experiments with mediocre coaches or managers who are above their head is hurting us big time. We've become a lab of experiments for managers and directors.

Personally, I want us to be in the UCL again. I want to see us play attractive football again. I took those Wenger years for granted and I feel bad for some of the things I said about him. We have regressed. With the way these folks are going about their business, I don't see us reaching the same heights again. I'm not even talking about '96-'09. Even '10-'17 appears to be a dream now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:04 pm

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:I think what's more important is what's acceptable in the long and short term. By that I mean 1-2 years then 3-5 years.

By 1-2 years I want to be back in the top four, and by 3-5 years I want to be challenging for the title.

In my own mind I'm pissed off that we're not challenging for the league title right now. It's what Arsenal should be doing every year. But we are where we are and we have to be realistic.

I have a rather gloomy view of our situation for the next decade or so. I don't see us challenging for the title within the next 3-5 years unless we hire a competent manager and a visionary DoF. From an administrative point of view, the directors at this club haven't bathed themselves in glory with their management-level recruitments since Wenger left.

Top-4 is achievable. But that's again with the right manager. If we continue to scream, "process, project, future," that will never come. Football isn't like other businesses where austerity in the present alone yields success in the future. You have to have one eye on the future of course, but in football, if you can't maintain success in the present-day, there's a serious chance of lagging behind. Then, it becomes a merry-go-round of failures.

That's the sorry story the stadium move kick-started. We had Wenger back then. We don't have anyone near as good and as visionary as him in the club anymore.

Another thing is that the days of short-term managerial roundabouts is waning. It's coming full circle. These days, managers prefer to spend a bit longer at clubs, especially the top ones. Look at Simeone, Klopp, Pep, etc. They have been with their respective clubs for years now.

I think if we hire a top-class, world class manager, back him adequately, there's no doubt we would get back into the top-4. These experiments with mediocre coaches or managers who are above their head is hurting us big time. We've become a lab of experiments for managers and directors.

Personally, I want us to be in the UCL again. I want to see us play attractive football again. I took those Wenger years for granted and I feel bad for some of the things I said about him. We have regressed. With the way these folks are going about their business, I don't see us reaching the same heights again. I'm not even talking about '96-'09. Even '10-'17 appears to be a dream now.

Can’t argue with any of that sadly.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am

^ Same. We can only hope the light shines upon us somehow, somewhere...
pauper ubique jacet
Goonerfromafrica
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:40 am

Angelito wrote:

Regardless of manager we're years away with a fair wind from challenging for the title.
The club have all but admitted that with the direction in the transfer window.

It is sad, but it was inevitable and the rot that took us here started over a decade ago.
A lot of fans seem to have woken up from a slumber and realised the mess we're in and are pointing fingers at the guy who has been here for 18 month - as if that is the period things started to go wrong with this club... not you by the sound of it as you were critical of Wenger. You were right to be. We kept hold of him for way too long (probably 10 years too long)

The immediate challenge is simply to improve on 8th and get back into the CL as quickly as we can.
Personally, I think that CL football is a few years off too - IF we ever do.
jayramfootball
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Özim » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 pm

New manager (as long as he’s a decent one like Conte), new ideas, better football, better results, better use of squad and resources, better man management, fewer or no weird decisions = progress

We might not win the league but it would all be a whole lot better and more exciting, right now it’s freaking awful.
Özim
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Arsenal's England forward Bukayo Saka has been approached by a number of clubs, but the Gunners consider the 20-year-old "untouchable". (Here We Go podcast, via Sun)

So it begins
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal's England forward Bukayo Saka has been approached by a number of clubs, but the Gunners consider the 20-year-old "untouchable". (Here We Go podcast, via Sun)

So it begins

Saka's rise stardom began a while back. I am sure every club in the world would want him.
I wouldn't get all jittery about media BS, though.
jayramfootball
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby TedLasso » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 am

Not a chance in the world of selling him. Too important to the culture.
TedLasso
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby LMAO » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 am

Ach wrote:

So it begins

£120 million to even pick up the phone tbh. Not many clubs who can pay that and need him.

With that said, locking him down to a long-term contract is a must.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 am

LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

£120 million to even pick up the phone tbh. Not many clubs who can pay that and need him.

Your boy Arteta will gladly sell him to his former employers. Don’t even doubt it.
swipe right
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Goonerred » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am

swipe right wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

Your boy Arteta will gladly sell him to his former employers. Don’t even doubt it.

I was just thinking that, if the money is right, he will be sold. I can't blame Saka for going somewhere where he could win trophies either, he's not getting any with us in the near future. Look at Kane, he should have left Totts long ago, Shearer barely won anything. If I was a footballer, yes the money is great, but the aim should be to win things, that's what they get paid for.
Goonerred
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 am

Goonerred wrote:
swipe right wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

I was just thinking that, if the money is right, he will be sold. I can't blame Saka for going somewhere where he could win trophies either, he's not getting any with us in the near future. Look at Kane, he should have left Totts long ago, Shearer barely won anything. If I was a footballer, yes the money is great, but the aim should be to win things, that's what they get paid for.

I’d sell Saka for big money because as good as he is, he’s not a game changer. The problem is reinvesting that money. The idiots in charge don’t have a clue and they can’t attract talent either. So hold onto Saka for dear life.
swipe right
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Ach » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am

We'd definitely sell and nowhere near as much as 120m.

Maybe half that if not for free
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

Wishful thinking. By the end of next season he will be down to his last 2 years while we are still faffing around trying to fulfill Arteta's vision. I can see us selling for a low fee with 1 year left.
Highbury Hillbilly
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Özim » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 pm

The longer the lack of progress goes on the more likely we are to losers these young players, they’ve got no reason to commit long term and when they have a year left they may well decide it’s better for their career to move on.

We really needed to see tangible progress and I’m just not seeing that, it’s the same old same old so far.

We’ve reached the stage now we should be selling anyone that doesn’t commit to a new contract with 2 years left now anyway, if they won’t commit it’s because they’re not convinced it’s the right place for them so better to sell with 2 years left and make a decent amount then allow them to run it down to 1 year and take a cut price fee or even worse nothing the following year.
Özim
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk