Unai Emery

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World football chat.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
18
27%
No
22
33%
Unsure
16
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
10
15%
 
Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Santi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 pm

a top quality front 3 worth 150m isn't our strength?


hmmm let me think again then...
#YoPierre
User avatar
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017
 
Posts: 33959
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Zedie wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Zedie wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:Man actually had us play defensively against Huddersfield. North London has not seen banter of this level since we won the league at Shite Hart Lane.

Emery needs to stop being so conservative and have us play to our strength, which lays in our attack with a £100 million striker partnership. We still leak goals even when trying to keep a clean sheet against the worst team in the league, so may as well go full glass cannon ffs


I agree but maybe that's because he has no faith in our defence, Huddersfield hadn't scored a goal in weeks until we turned up.

If Emery had better defenders he probably wouldn't of.

Also this may be a case of that Emery needs results, he's not Wenger, he can't risk losing these sorts of games and keep his job.

Regardless I do wish he'd stop using 3-4-3, I see no benefit over 4-3-3, we leak the same goals, but we play better without it.

If he has no faith in our defence perhaps he should spend more time in coaching/drilling it.

It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE as human beings to practice something and not improve at it. In fact, even animals learn through practice FFS and they don't have manuals, training aids, videos and all that.


Ok. Completely disregard that humans have their own physical and mental limitations.

Go and try to practice running as fast as Usain bolt and see how far your training gets you.

Tell me how to make lichtensteiner faster.

Tell me why apparently no one in Mustafis career has told him not to be fooled into diving in to tackles.

Train Peter Cech to get down to his corners quicker

Train diaby to not be injured

Train iwobi to not get brain freeze when being hard pressed

Oh you cant? It must be your fault these players produce these results smh.

Stupidest post of the day goes to Zedie !! f**k me!!

The players can learn movement, how to keep shape until it becomes second nature. You can teach/drill patterns of play until they become second nature. I guarantee that if I did speed training you would see an improvement in my speed. If you can't shoot, do some shooting training and you will learn to shoot.

Its a basic f***ing premise that guides all of life on earth, the process of practicing something to improve. Nobody is saying you will become the best at it but you will absolutely improve. ANY improvement is an improvement and would prove the point that we can defend better if the team practiced it.

Your post is nonsense, talking foolishness about people being injured, what does that have to do with the fact that people improve with practice and thats a f***ing fact.


Mate, if you can't grasp the fact that there are differences in ability with the players we have in key positions to the players our opponents have and the importance of that to fully execute the managers game plan, then you really are as blind as you seem to be.

Are you seriously telling me that sagna and clichy could have been trained into providing the same out put as Kyle Walker and mendy?

Or that working on iwobis shooting practice can get him up to the level of mane?

Really?

Of course improvements can be made with training but I'm sorry, the sort of gains that can be made with some players we have versus their opposite numbers is like a fart in a hurricane.

The fact that you hang your criticism of Emery off this nonsense is the best example of someone who doesn't really understand reality versus their own personal world view.

I'm asking you specifically now, let's just focus on lichtensteiner, iwobi and xhaka. Everyone knows their base flaws, what do you think you could train into them to solve those issues that hasn't been identified and drilled constantly before now?

And how much capacity have they got to actually be trained to a level where they are as good as one better than the opposition.


You'd think this wouldn't have to be said ............ but ohhh no.

I mean what do you think they do at Colney? not work on defense? they're are working on defense every week and Bould is in charge.
Its either Bould or our players and if it is Bould then its AFC not Emery who decided to keep Bould on ....... however, its more our defenders imo, is training going to make Kos younger and in his prime again? is it going to stop Mustafi from crap decision making?

Do you honestly think we can train them into Maldini levels?

If things were as HotHead believes then who needs transfers? apparently we can train Iwobi into Messi.

People have their limits, if they didn't we'd just hire the best trainers in the world and forget buying better players, did Hleb improve at Barca, did Henry? did Adebayor at City with the same training as City players?

No, its actually more accurate that they all regressed.

Training can improve players, but you've over sold it and over reached, talent is something individual.
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 20503
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby UFGN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 pm

I've no doubt Emery could sack Bould if he wanted to. He's chosen to keep him. It's Emery's way to keep at least one senior coach who is a club stalwart, he's done it at all his other clubs

He could have brought in any one of our former players instead, but seems happy with Bould.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19435
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

When they hired Emery it was announced as part of that, that AFC had decided to keep Bould on, this is from their own website.

Yes if Bould was fkin awful I'm sure Emery would complain and Raul would be the one to sack Bould ............. so hence why I'm saying its our players.

Mustafi has been a walking accident for at least 2 seasons now, not sure what HotHead thinks we can do with that?
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 20503
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

You asked serious questions, I will answer you.

Mate, if you can't grasp the fact that there are differences in ability with the players we have in key positions to the players our opponents have and the importance of that to fully execute the managers game plan, then you really are as blind as you seem to be.

At no point did I ever say there were no differences in ability of players in comparison to our opponents. At no time did I ever say that the manager should not execute his game plan. Where did you conjure any of that up from ??

Are you seriously telling me that sagna and clichy could have been trained into providing the same out put as Kyle Walker and mendy?

No, some players have fundamentals, key attributes. Its the reason why Sagna would never become good offensively but he is very good defensively. Its the reason why Ozil will NEVER have a defensive bone in his body and it is pointless trying to make him do defensive work. You totally miss the point I am trying to make. Kyle Walker and Mendy are good going forwards but not great defensively. They are not perfect but they can improve defensively by being well drilled "as a unit".

Or that working on iwobis shooting practice can get him up to the level of mane?

Nope, I never said you can turn a turd into gold. But what I said was people can "improve". Iwobi can improve his shooting ability. Sterling has openly stated he has improved his shooting by practicing, his numbers don't lie. Iwobi's technique is terrible, I have never seen him shoot the ball by applying check/fade, but with practice he can learn to do it so it becomes second nature.

Of course improvements can be made with training but I'm sorry, the sort of gains that can be made with some players we have versus their opposite numbers is like a fart in a hurricane.

Not at all and again you are missing the point. I said clearly that players can improve if they are coached/drilled, we can improve our defensive displays if the players are drilled. I'm not talking about turning a 5 out of 10 player into an 8 out of 10. I am talking about turning a 5 out of 10 into a 6 out of 10. If you can produce slight improvements in 4 to 5 players the cumulative affect will be massive. If our players were drilled properly defensively even a 10% improvement is an improvement nonetheless. THAT is my point. We have much scope to improve what we currently have.

The fact that you hang your criticism of Emery off this nonsense is the best example of someone who doesn't really understand reality versus their own personal world view.

On the contrary, its because I know people and because I know what I am talking about that I say what I say. I have trained people, I have taught people, I have managed people, I know how to get the best out of the people around me, I know what works with some and what works with others. I criticise Emery because I think he has taken the wrong approach, I think he is not getting the best out of what he has, I think he can improve massively.

I'm asking you specifically now, let's just focus on lichtensteiner, iwobi and xhaka. Everyone knows their base flaws, what do you think you could train into them to solve those issues that hasn't been identified and drilled constantly before now?

Lichsteiner is a difficult proposition, he is at the end of career and in his case I think it is a case of old dogs can't learn new tricks. he seems lost out there, not aided by the fact Mustafi has regular brain farts. Iwobi's problem is poor shooting tekkers and lack of end product. There is no guarantee that he can be coached to get end product, but he can definitely improve his shooting tekkers. Xhaka's game is laden with mistakes, he has no pace and is defensively poor. You either get him to train purely as a defender so he learns how to defend over time or you accept that his deficiency. This is where training defensive formations and patterns over and over pays dividends, players know where to move and when to hold/sit. You see well drilled teams move as an entire unit during TV analysis.

It should be common knowledge that Wenger didn't coach defensive positions only offensive and that Graham spent most of the time coaching defensive positions, ex players have confirmed this, the result of which - Wenger's teams stood out offensively and Graham's teams stood out defensively. Its why the Wenger era players after Flamini/Keown and Campbell left cannot defend for shit, its why they are clueless defending as a team, they were NEVER coached.

And how much capacity have they got to actually be trained to a level where they are as good as one better than the opposition.

I am not expecting big gains from any player, small gains are all I expect to see, like I said, its the cumulative affect of lots of small gains that will make the difference. All of our defenders have proved that they are capable of good things, Mustafi began to develop a decent partnership with Holding, Sokratis is actually a decent CB, Bellerin can be coached to get into better defensive positions. The whole defensive unit (defence and midfield) can improve. Hell, if Emery can coach Bellerin to improve his crossing that alone proves my point !!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm

They're probably all afraid to sack him. You see the stare on that guy? He always has the look of a guy that just murdered is own family and can't think of a good place to get rid of the bodies.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35300
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Losmeister wrote:
I want to live in the world that you live in where humans don't learn or improve as a basic human function.

you are the poster child, m8

you are not orientedx4 , either way... cheers :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

Nope, cos I already said thats not in the world I live in. So try again :naughty:

Weak my yoot.
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby UFGN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:When they hired Emery it was announced as part of that, that AFC had decided to keep Bould on, this is from their own website.

Yes if Bould was fkin awful I'm sure Emery would complain and Raul would be the one to sack Bould ............. so hence why I'm saying its our players.

Mustafi has been a walking accident for at least 2 seasons now, not sure what HotHead thinks we can do with that?


There's nothing you can do

You could argue that Wenger improved Adams for example, but he was Tony f***ing Adams. All Wenger had to do was make him eat the right food, and convince him that the lads wouldn't call him a pansy if he played the occasional pass along the floor.

It's not the same as trying to stop Mustafi from being what he is and has always been.....average
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19435
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Goonerz wrote:It’s the same people that will say the opposite in other threads “Play to the players strengths. Play to the squad’s strengths. So and so player shouldn’t be asked to do the nitty gritty because that is not his game blah blah”.

Let me ask, what are our strengths as a team in the last 5 or so seasons? Do we even have any strengths. :doh: :think:

Thats right, play to a player's strengths. If you want a fast car no point buying a slow car and try to make it fast. Players can be improved, how many times have you heard players say they want to play under a certain manager so they can grow and improve. But you are not using your brain, you think that players can improve all facets other game, thats not what I said or inferred The biggest improvement Arsenal can make is as a team in our defending, I have stated this time and time and time again. Perhaps you read things with your eyes wide shut.
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Goonerz wrote:It’s the same people that will say the opposite in other threads “Play to the players strengths. Play to the squad’s strengths. So and so player shouldn’t be asked to do the nitty gritty because that is not his game blah blah”.

Let me ask, what are our strengths as a team in the last 5 or so seasons? Do we even have any strengths. :doh: :think:

Thats right, play to a player's strengths. If you want a fast car no point buying a slow car and try to make it fast. Players can be improved, how many times have you heard players say they want to play under a certain manager so they can grow and improve. But you are not using your brain, you think that players can improve all facets other game, thats not what I said or inferred The biggest improvement Arsenal can make is as a team in our defending, I have stated this time and time and time again. Perhaps you read things with your eyes wide shut.



................. but as I mentioned earlier, your acting as if they're not already doing this at Colney?

What if they've done everything your mentioning and this is the result? of course their training!
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 20503
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
You'd think this wouldn't have to be said ............ but ohhh no.

I mean what do you think they do at Colney? not work on defense? they're are working on defense every week and Bould is in charge.
Its either Bould or our players and if it is Bould then its AFC not Emery who decided to keep Bould on ....... however, its more our defenders imo, is training going to make Kos younger and in his prime again? is it going to stop Mustafi from crap decision making?

Do you honestly think we can train them into Maldini levels?

If things were as HotHead believes then who needs transfers? apparently we can train Iwobi into Messi.

People have their limits, if they didn't we'd just hire the best trainers in the world and forget buying better players, did Hleb improve at Barca, did Henry? did Adebayor at City with the same training as City players?

No, its actually more accurate that they all regressed.

Training can improve players, but you've over sold it and over reached, talent is something individual.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/sep/23/arsene-wenger-arsenal-training
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9741346/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wengers-relationship-with-Steve-Bould-questioned-following-defeat-at-Bradford.html
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/922270/Arsenal-training-ground-Alan-Smith-Arsene-Wenger-Steve-Bould
https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/lee-dixon-on-graham-vs-wenger-ian-wright-punching-steve-bruce/
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/lee-dixon-the-flaw-in-wengers-philosophy-its-what-you-do-without-the-ball-that-really-counts-2095327.html

I could go on forever, it is clear that Wenger does not coach the team and part of the reason he had that spat with Bouldy is because he refused to let Bould coach the team. So you ask what do I think they do at London Colney, well, as you can see, it bloody well is NOT defensive training.

Then you come out with the bullcrap about Maldini levels, that age old tactic of going to pathetic extremes with your point. Its not valid chum, its bollox, there is a middle ground you know. A player can improve from being a 5/10 to a 6/10. Not a big f***ing jump is it ... but its an improvement nonetheless.

People have their limits but your players are nowhere near their limits. Do you think this is their limit ?? Do you think it was on the strength of what we see from these players right now that we bought them in the first place ??? :rofll:

Get a clue DG.
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Sims » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Would u let bouldy coach a defence

His defensive record with the youth team was horrendous
Image
User avatar
Sims
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 29901
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/sep/23/arsene-wenger-arsenal-training
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9741346/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wengers-relationship-with-Steve-Bould-questioned-following-defeat-at-Bradford.html
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/922270/Arsenal-training-ground-Alan-Smith-Arsene-Wenger-Steve-Bould
https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/lee-dixon-on-graham-vs-wenger-ian-wright-punching-steve-bruce/
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/lee-dixon-the-flaw-in-wengers-philosophy-its-what-you-do-without-the-ball-that-really-counts-2095327.html

I could go on forever, it is clear that Wenger does not coach the team and part of the reason he had that spat with Bouldy is because he refused to let Bould coach the team. So you ask what do I think they do at London Colney, well, as you can see, it bloody well is NOT defensive training.


............. just one glaring problem, Wenger isn't here now!!

So yes, they are training the defence.

theHotHead wrote:Then you come out with the bullcrap about Maldini levels, that age old tactic of going to pathetic extremes with your point. Its not valid chum, its bollox, there is a middle ground you know. A player can improve from being a 5/10 to a 6/10. Not a big f***ing jump is it ... but its an improvement nonetheless.

People have their limits but your players are nowhere near their limits. Do you think this is their limit ?? Do you think it was on the strength of what we see from these players right now that we bought them in the first place ??? :rofll:

Get a clue DG.


Your really struggling here, how come Sokratis is doing fine but Mustafi isn't?

How come Bellerin is doing fine but Lich isn't?

Kos is just passed his prime, no training is going to bring that back, maybe he can get back to more form but that will depend on him.

Look back to the 2nd Chelsea game, everyone said (and it was) our best defensive performance to date, the issue is only Sokratis is the one carrying on anywhere near that type of form, do you think they've stopped training since then?

Your making this much harder than it needs to be because your desperately trying to prove a point by reaching.
Here's the easy version ........... our CB's (bar Sokratis) are NOT good enough.

Just nod, it's much easier.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 20503
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Of course he should be doing better than Wenger, we signed 5 defensive players, Laca is more settled, he has had Pea for a whole season, on top of that Wenger was just terrible in general.

Reality is we are 6th, been knocked out of 2 cup competitions at home, playing average football offensively and look poor defensively, trust needs to be earnt, some of you are easily pleased, he needs top 4 or an EL win to earn trust.

By trust I mean giving me some sort of hope that this guy can land us a title, not that he is better than Wenger because I know he is better than Wenger, there is 30 managers we could have got better than what Wenger was producing.

We were knocked out of the league cup 2-1 home to Aston villa
And fa cup 3-1 at home to mid table second tier Bolton in 93/94
We won the cup winners cup that season beating Parma
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 11512
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Sims » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm

My biggest critique of him so far and it’s sometjing that is completely unacceptable

His hair is atrocious and looks like he bathes in olive oil
Image
User avatar
Sims
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 29901
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

PreviousNext

Return to World Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
cron