Merci Arsène

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am

Lol, the argument that Wenger did something incredible by keeping us in the top 4 is nonsense. When our wage bill was in the top 2 guess where we finished?!! In the top 2.

When we slipped behind Chelsea's wage bill guess where we finished?? In the top 3.

When we slipped behind Man City in the wage bill guess where we finished? In the top 4.

Now Liverpool have closed the gap to us in the wage bill guess where we have been finishing?? You bloody guessed it. All Wenger has done is what he should have done, according to how much we were spending. Finishing top 4 was exactly what he should have been doing because our wage bill dwarfed those below us!
User avatar
theHotHead
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Luzh 22 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:21 am

But we've still got a top 4 wage bill. Just not the players to go with it.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
User avatar
Luzh 22
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby AndyBoy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:Lol, the argument that Wenger did something incredible by keeping us in the top 4 is nonsense. When our wage bill was in the top 2 guess where we finished?!! In the top 2.

When we slipped behind Chelsea's wage bill guess where we finished?? In the top 3.

When we slipped behind Man City in the wage bill guess where we finished? In the top 4.

Now Liverpool have closed the gap to us in the wage bill guess where we have been finishing?? You bloody guessed it. All Wenger has done is what he should have done, according to how much we were spending. Finishing top 4 was exactly what he should have been doing because our wage bill dwarfed those below us!


In other words he never underachieved.

Did exactly what was possible .

Interesting .
AndyBoy
Liam Brady
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:But we've still got a top 4 wage bill. Just not the players to go with it.

We have the 5th highest wage bill in the premier league
User avatar
starmandb
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:Lol, the argument that Wenger did something incredible by keeping us in the top 4 is nonsense. When our wage bill was in the top 2 guess where we finished?!! In the top 2.

When we slipped behind Chelsea's wage bill guess where we finished?? In the top 3.

When we slipped behind Man City in the wage bill guess where we finished? In the top 4.

Now Liverpool have closed the gap to us in the wage bill guess where we have been finishing?? You bloody guessed it. All Wenger has done is what he should have done, according to how much we were spending. Finishing top 4 was exactly what he should have been doing because our wage bill dwarfed those below us!

Share some numbers please. Don’t see how we could have been in the top four salary wise during the 2006-16 timeframe.
swipe right
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm

AndyBoy wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Lol, the argument that Wenger did something incredible by keeping us in the top 4 is nonsense. When our wage bill was in the top 2 guess where we finished?!! In the top 2.

When we slipped behind Chelsea's wage bill guess where we finished?? In the top 3.

When we slipped behind Man City in the wage bill guess where we finished? In the top 4.

Now Liverpool have closed the gap to us in the wage bill guess where we have been finishing?? You bloody guessed it. All Wenger has done is what he should have done, according to how much we were spending. Finishing top 4 was exactly what he should have been doing because our wage bill dwarfed those below us!


In other words he never underachieved.

Did exactly what was possible .

Interesting .

No!! It means he didn't overachieve as is the argument/mantra the Wenger followers spout at every opportunity.
User avatar
theHotHead
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:03 pm

starmandb wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:But we've still got a top 4 wage bill. Just not the players to go with it.

We have the 5th highest wage bill in the premier league


So, 5th it is then :)
Image Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 winner
Predictions League 2016-17 winner
 
Posts: 13595
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Luzh 22 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 pm

starmandb wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:But we've still got a top 4 wage bill. Just not the players to go with it.

We have the 5th highest wage bill in the premier league


But we've still got a top 5 wage bill. Just not the players to go with it. :sneaky2:
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
User avatar
Luzh 22
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Tbh Wenger did end up sacrificing his career for the club, that stadium move was his dream to make us a super power. Not only did the TV money make it irrelevant but he wasted years selling our best players and sacrificing titles before it.

In hindsight, the timing was all wrong on that move and we've all paid for it, including him. Granted the last 3-4 years he had a chance to do better with more money and still didn't, that's where I really blame him and agree he needed to go, before 2014 I think he was genuinely doing his best.
Image

#YoPierre
User avatar
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017
 
Posts: 32269
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Yeah I still think his job post Emirates to Özil signing was pretty f***ing good and I don’t think any other manager in the world could’ve done better with our budget at the time

After that was a disaster but at least we had some FA cup wins
Image
User avatar
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016
 
Posts: 27683
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 pm

I think he did a respectable job but you are overating it.

For a start the quality of managers was abysmal, take the 06/07 season these were the managers

Stuart Pearce
Gareth Southgate
Mark Hughes
Alan curbishley
Paul Jewell
Neil Warnock
Aidy boothyrd
Martin jol
Steve compel
Harry redknapp
David Moyes
Lawrie Sanchez
Alan pardew
Sammy Lee
Martin o'neill
Nigel Pearson

Are we really suggesting there aren't at least 10-20 managers around now that couldn't have beat that list?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2018
User avatar
Marsbar100
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8581
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Interest: waning » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Shocking list lmfao
Interest: waning
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:I think he did a respectable job but you are overating it.

For a start the quality of managers was abysmal, take the 06/07 season these were the managers

Stuart Pearce
Gareth Southgate
Mark Hughes
Alan curbishley
Paul Jewell
Neil Warnock
Aidy boothyrd
Martin jol
Steve compel
Harry redknapp
David Moyes
Lawrie Sanchez
Alan pardew
Sammy Lee
Martin o'neill
Nigel Pearson

Are we really suggesting there aren't at least 10-20 managers around now that couldn't have beat that list?

:rofll:

Marsbar, top post, I love it!!! Some fookin dross in that list.
User avatar
theHotHead
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby UFGN » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Neil actual god damn Warnock

:doh:
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014
 
Posts: 17299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:25 pm

That list cant be right surely?

Damn that was shocking
Ach
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9210
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: indy23, swipe right and 3 guests