Quality of strikers

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Quality of strikers

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:15 am

Being realistic, every club has a pecking order for its strikers:
Chelsea - Diego Costa, Pedro, Batshuayi (no fourth forward - Hazard is classed as a midfielder).
Spurs - Harry Kane, Vincent Jansen (Son is classed as a midfielder but I think he is a forward)
Liverpool - Firmino, Sturridge, Origi, (Edited to include Mane who is injured, Ings injured, Coutinho classed as a midfielder but like Son I think he is a forward)
Man City - Aguero, Jesus, Iheanacho, Nolito, Sterling
Man Utd - Ibrahimovic (now injured), Rashford, Martial, Rashford, Rooney
Arsenal - Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud, Welbeck, Perez.

In Sanchez we have a striker that will get 20+ goals per season. Surprisingly when you look at Chelsea they don't have much in the way of options and Spurs have even less. Yet both clubs are at the top of the league fighting for the title. Also in Spurs' case the drop in quality from Kane to Jansen is massive, we have a similar drop in quality, from Sanchez to the rest of our forwards.

If Perez is not going to get played (technically best of the rest) the burden falls on Sanchez who as we all see for ourselves tends to try "too hard" which affects his performances. Funnily enough I started this thread to highlight the pecking order and quality of our strikers and to compare it to the teams we are fighting, but I am so surprised by Spurs and Chelsea's forwards that I am stumped on how to continue my post :dontknow:

When you compare our strikers to the other teams its only really City and Man U that have better forwards, in my opinion, very surprising.
Last edited by theHotHead on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Re: Quality of strikers

Postby 22-0 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 am

every single team you listed has better strikers than us.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 am

Not really, Chelsea have Diego Costa, Sanchez is a match for him. Pedro is decent, will he get more goals and assists than Walcott ? Doubtful - thats not to say he is not a better player. Batschuayi won't score as many as Giroud .. then we have Welbeck and Perez.

Spurs have Kane who is a top striker, but Jansen isn't better than statistically our weakest striker, Welbeck. They don't have any other forwards.

Liverpool have Sturridge and Firmino, Actually - I missed Mane from their list. If you include Coutinho as a forward then yes their forward line obliterates ours.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby TomTom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Great post and point. Probably the biggest (and most important difference) is that even though Alexis is the top striker, he's not a natural centre forward. He's more of a Winger/Second Striker/Attacking Midfielder. He is not going to be in any sort of post position or be poaching goals (I mean, he DOES that some times, but that's not something that will happen because of his position in the field)

Costa, Kane , Firmino, Agüero and Ibra can all function as a real centre forward (and they bag in some headers and whatnot). Arsenal needs an actual CF so Alexis can work off him as a winger or SS, especially when teams park the bus and he's not able to enter. Alexis' lobbed passes are AWESOME, but there aren't many players that can make use of them, Giroud being a little bit too slow, Perez not playing at all and Welbeck being Welbeck.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of goals Alexis has scored, having followed his career.
TomTom
Liam Brady

Postby coach8smallball » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 pm

agreed, alexis is more of a winger than a CF. we need a world class striker to allow alexis to shine outside as an inverted winger.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Perez actually has end product tbf
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Some exciting young center forwards will be available in summer. Lukaku, Mbape, Dembele, Werner. some options here.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:52 pm

CB-Holding wrote:There's no world class strikers available .

The best we have is Perez.

Perez is the santi carzola of strikers.

Considering how few games he has played for us he has scored and assisted loads of times !! Nothing suggests Perez is a bad striker.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Some exciting young center forwards will be available in summer. Lukaku, Mbape, Dembele, Werner. some options here.

But are they available 'at the right price'?

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby keremistanbul » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 pm

striker and forward are completely different things. alexis is not a striker, costa and kane are good strikers.we have giroud,welbeck and lucas as strikers. walcott pfff....
keremistanbul
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:48 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Some exciting young center forwards will be available in summer. Lukaku, Mbape, Dembele, Werner. some options here.

But are they available 'at the right price'?

As history has proved, anyone is available and the price is mostly "right". But it all depends on your compass. For Wenger the price will ALWAYS be too high. He thought the price was too high for Draxler, Higuain and Ribery. He also thought £4Mwas too much for Schwarzer when we were desperate for a keeper.

I can't believe he passed up on Higuain, cheapskate prick!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:55 am

keremistanbul wrote:striker and forward are completely different things. alexis is not a striker, costa and kane are good strikers.we have giroud,welbeck and lucas as strikers. walcott pfff....

I think people use different words but mean the same thing. I tend to class all strikers and forwards - all players that function primarily in the final third - as forwards. You have outside forwards, inside forwards and centre forwards.

I think "striker" is a more modern name for forwards.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby keremistanbul » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:
keremistanbul wrote:striker and forward are completely different things. alexis is not a striker, costa and kane are good strikers.we have giroud,welbeck and lucas as strikers. walcott pfff....

I think people use different words but mean the same thing. I tend to class all strikers and forwards - all players that function primarily in the final third - as forwards. You have outside forwards, inside forwards and centre forwards.

I think "striker" is a more modern name for forwards.

strikers make me think of a player whose primary function is to score goals, especially with good finishing in the center of the final third.
alexis can fit into this explanation but i think it is weird to clasify him as a striker. he is better as a forward winger.

but at least i agree on we lack quality in final third. we only have alexis who can play for a team aiming to win the title.
keremistanbul
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Return to Arsenal Talk