Mesut & Alexis' Contract Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mesut & Alexis' Contract Situation

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 pm

Mesüt wrote:Well not really cos we were able to maintain our level due to others being shit, if we lose Alexis and Mesut now it will be much harder to stay in this magical top 4 cos you've now got seriously 6 clubs fighting for it, with a bunch of others getting better (Everton, Saints despite current league pos, West Ham).

Previously we were able to make top 4 with Giroud, Ramsey, Podolski etc...we wouldn't now.

That and what do we get out of staying at the same level, we need to win ffs, if we sell Sanchez next season is finished before it starts.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Sims » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 pm

we could sell alexis & ozil and replace them with matty phillips & robert snodgrass and i'd still back us to finish in the top four

wenger is like a magnet to that shit regardless of the quality surrounding us

as much as other fans like to take the piss out of us finishing fourth theres also other certainties in the premier league, like spurs bottling it at every opportunity
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby diesel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 pm

completely bored with this obsession of top 4. in reality that should be viewed as qualifier for another competition (ie following season CL) that you are going to try and win. clearly that's how proper top clubs view it. We just view it as another years marketing exercise of 'the brand' being plastered round Europe on Tuesday and Wednesday nights with zero intention or capability of going far in the comp, let alone winning it
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 am

Sims wrote:we could sell alexis & ozil and replace them with matty phillips & robert snodgrass and i'd still back us to finish in the top four

wenger is like a magnet to that shit regardless of the quality surrounding us

as much as other fans like to take the piss out of us finishing fourth theres also other certainties in the premier league, like spurs bottling it at every opportunity

tbf at least snodgrass will give his all every game
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 am

Funnily enough I saw a video on Reddit about mesut's passes this season and it's unbelievable how many times Theo & Iwobi balls up some really dangerous situations
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 am

What's unbelievable about that, their not very good lol
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 am

Loool true it's just that we're already high scoring but could be hitting Monaco numbers with decent wingers
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby BexleyGooner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:11 am

We will still finish in the top four imo. I don't really like Ozil, he doesn't have a big enough impact on games. I think he could be replaced quite easily with someone more effective. Laugh at me if you want, but I think Payet would do a better job than Ozil, but we missed the boat.

People seem to think that we'll sell the likes of Sanchez and not buy anyone. Rubbish, they'll pump the money out on another player in an effort to placate us. That player won't be no Sanchez, but he'll be good enough to do a job keeping us in the top four, which is all the board are asking for.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby coach8smallball » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 am

BexleyGooner wrote:We will still finish in the top four imo. I don't really like Ozil, he doesn't have a big enough impact on games. I think he could be replaced quite easily with someone more effective. Laugh at me if you want, but I think Payet would do a better job than Ozil, but we missed the boat.

People seem to think that we'll sell the likes of Sanchez and not buy anyone. Rubbish, they'll pump the money out on another player in an effort to placate us. That player won't be no Sanchez, but he'll be good enough to do a job keeping us in the top four, which is all the board are asking for.

imo, payet and ozil aren't even worth comparing. two completely different players.

wenger won't pump money to anyone to placate the fan base. the man has lost the plot. once alexis and ozil goes, we are screwed because we are about above average even with them in the lineup. ozil has been shiiiite lately, but I believe he'll find his way back....and just in time to get that 4th spot to save arsene's arse. the usually late season run just to keep the status quo.

then they'll bolt this summer, wenger will stay and we will be in groundhog heaven all over again. forget about any WC striker or dcm coming our way (which we've been wanting forever it seems like). just think, if we had the likes of benzema/morata/lacazette with alexis on one side and lucas on the other. mesut's job would be much easier along with a player like rabiot or kante as a dlp. then having the likes of coquelin and/or elneny would be bearable, heck even xhaka.

but again, it's the same story different day. wenger's not going anywhere.....the club shows no passion or ambition to win anything. alexis and ozil see the writing on the wall. it's a joke.....and we are the laughing stock because of it.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby maxgunner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:28 pm

diesel wrote:completely bored with this obsession of top 4. in reality that should be viewed as qualifier for another competition (ie following season CL) that you are going to try and win. clearly that's how proper top clubs view it. We just view it as another years marketing exercise of 'the brand' being plastered round Europe on Tuesday and Wednesday nights with zero intention or capability of going far in the comp, let alone winning it

This, so many people mentioning top 4 as some kind of achievement when all we should care about is win.
maxgunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Slick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

maxgunner wrote:This, so many people mentioning top 4 as some kind of achievement when all we should care about is win.

"You play to win the game." - Herm Edwards

The reality of the situation is both of these guys should have inked new deals a long time ago and Arsenal should be looking to add more pieces to the puzzle.

Chelsea's going to run away with the league and they'll be looking to strengthen their squad in the summer. City and United as well.

Meanwhile we're talking about who we can get to replace p!ayers like Sanchez and Ozil when they inevitability leave for greener pastures.

Not a good way to run a football club if you're serious about contending for trophies.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:42 pm

If anyone could replace Ozil, why is he #2 in the all-time single season premier league assists table? Why is Ozil praised by every manager he's played under: Jose, Wenger, and Low?

If anyone could replace him.. Why would Wenger even bother spending £42.5m for him? Why can't anyone displace him in the German NT?

Intriguing honestly.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Anyone can who fackin runs rand a bit

Özil runs rand a bit more than Alexis too
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 pm

maxgunner wrote:
diesel wrote:completely bored with this obsession of top 4. in reality that should be viewed as qualifier for another competition (ie following season CL) that you are going to try and win. clearly that's how proper top clubs view it. We just view it as another years marketing exercise of 'the brand' being plastered round Europe on Tuesday and Wednesday nights with zero intention or capability of going far in the comp, let alone winning it

This, so many people mentioning top 4 as some kind of achievement when all we should care about is win.

Not every mention of top 4 means it's an achievement, it's still a different bracket in the league and it's clearly our board's aim. Not a single fan is happy with it so stop making it seem like they are, I hate these 'hero' posts trying to make a point that wasn't there in the first place.

People are just discussing how we were always top 4 without them and they expect we would be again, not claiming it as an achievement.

:dontknow: :Peace:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby MecurialGooner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 pm

At the end of the day Ozil is purely a CAM. Teams today can replace such luxury players. Pure CAMs who don't score many goals of their own are a dime a dozen in the market.

You say why is Ozil praised by every manager? and my response would be why was Ozil sold by Real Madrid? why have managers said he's not a big game player? Why do pundits say he's extremely lazy? why do ex-players/football writers/pundits say Ozil cannot take the game by the scruff of the neck? That he needs others to perform before he performs? Why do German fans say he's not crucial to their NT?

Anybody who watches Germany would know Ozil is not the pivotal/key player in the German NT. That would be Toni Kroos. He's their pass-master. Khedira contributes more to Germany as a team than Ozil. Why is it that German fans ALWAYS laugh at and disagree with Ozil being awarded the best German player of the year award? They always say he doesn't deserve it and value players likeKhedira, Toni Kroos, Manuel Neur etc. MUCH MUCH more highly. They should know as they watch their NT religiously.

Face the facts, while I don't want either to leave. Ozil is easier to replace than Alexis Sanchez in todays market. Deluded to say otherwise you tell me where you find a replacement for Alexis Sanchez who works his socks off pressing and chasing down lost causes, scores goals, has passion for the game, trains like a maniac, can play multiple positions, never knows when he's beat and fights to win games.

OZIL REPLACEMENTS

I keep listing replacements for Ozil, but the usual response is "We'd never buy those players" :rolleyes: WTF? The argument is who is easier to replace, and there are more replacements for Ozil who is a pure CAM.

Miralem Pjanic
Hakan Calhanoglu
Youri Tielemans
James
Isco
Verratti

etc. Any of those would walk in as replacements for Ozil at Arsenal. Even Juan Mata at his age would do a job at No 10 for any Prem team. Harder to replace a WF/CF like Sanchez.
Last edited by MecurialGooner on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk