The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal,
or come in and read all about your beloved club Arsenal.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm

knowledge93 wrote:When he is in form. He's so exciting to watch. He might be overpaid but once Wenger and Gazidis had messed up another, we couldn't afford to lose him.


That is the beginning, the end and the middle of the story here.

If we hadn't extended him we'd be looking at a loss (for free mind you) of Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey.

Do you know how much money we'd have to fork out to replace that trio? your looking at least £200m possibly £220m.

Feckin disaster.

Its bad enough losing Ramsey, with Sanchez we wriggled a miracle deal for Auba so got away with that one, only reason we got Auba is because Dortmund didn't let him go in the summer and all the other teams had spunked their load paying prices like £80m for players like fkin Moratta and Lukaku when we scooped him in January.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 24836
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm

In the form Ozil was in against Newcastle, there is no better creative midfielder in the league. He and De Byrne stand above others, but Ozil has the edge.
I hope Mesut can keep the intensity for therest of the season, because if he does we, unbelievably, have a chance of finishing 3rd. Now if that happens, Emery would have to get manager of the season.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby ag6789 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:12 pm

If Unai had not banished him in mid season, we would be close to a title challenge.
How you can leave out the best player, and expect to perform against top teams is well beyond me. His presence alone keeps a defender from joining the attack all out.
ag6789
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:30 pm

I don't know about a title challenge, but we'd probably be a bit more comfortable and in 3rd.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35987
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Mike Dean » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 am



How about the weight and curve/spin at the end of that pass?

Curved right around the defender and onto the path of a sprinting Auba for a shot on the run.
User avatar
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6183
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby LMAO » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 am

Ozil's passes could find MH370.
User avatar
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019
 
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:12 am

ag6789 wrote:If Unai had not banished him in mid season, we would be close to a title challenge.
How you can leave out the best player, and expect to perform against top teams is well beyond me. His presence alone keeps a defender from joining the attack all out.


So like 2016/7 when Ozil played 2,848 minutes? or last season when he played 2,1964 minutes? yup that all makes perfect sense ......
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 am

EliteKiller wrote:
ag6789 wrote:If Unai had not banished him in mid season, we would be close to a title challenge.
How you can leave out the best player, and expect to perform against top teams is well beyond me. His presence alone keeps a defender from joining the attack all out.


So like 2016/7 when Ozil played 2,848 minutes? or last season when he played 2,1964 minutes? yup that all makes perfect sense ......

But this is not last season under dufus Wenger, this is now, with a better team (Guendo, Torreira, Sokratis and Leno) and a better manager and tactician. So I think its a very valid point and argument.
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10120
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:When he is in form. He's so exciting to watch. He might be overpaid but once Wenger and Gazidis had messed up another, we couldn't afford to lose him.


That is the beginning, the end and the middle of the story here.

If we hadn't extended him we'd be looking at a loss (for free mind you) of Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey.

Do you know how much money we'd have to fork out to replace that trio? your looking at least £200m possibly £220m.

Feckin disaster.

Its bad enough losing Ramsey, with Sanchez we wriggled a miracle deal for Auba so got away with that one, only reason we got Auba is because Dortmund didn't let him go in the summer and all the other teams had spunked their load paying prices like £80m for players like fkin Moratta and Lukaku when we scooped him in January.

I'm still hopeful that Mkhi will come good so will soften the blow of losing Sanchez .... Mkhi has shown glimpses ... c'mon Mkhi !!!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10120
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 am

Mike Dean wrote:

How about the weight and curve/spin at the end of that pass?

Curved right around the defender and onto the path of a sprinting Auba for a shot on the run.


Let me tell you what a mortal would have done in that situation: he would have played the ball to feet and completely overlooked the opportunity for an assist. Ozil, though, had only one thing on his mind and he executed it to perfection.
Leno
(Runarsson/Macey)
Bellerin Saliba Gabriel Tierney
(Cedric/Niles) (Holding/Mustafi) (Mari/Sokratis) (Kolasinac/Bola)
Xhaka
(Elneny/Luiz)
Partey —- Ceballos
(Torreira/Matteo) --- (Ozil/Willock)
Pepe -------------------- Auba(c)
(Willian/ESR) -------------------- (Saka/Nelson)
Lacazette
(Martinelli/Nketiah)


Last Updated: 10/26/20
User avatar
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18513
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: The Peach State

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Sims » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:26 am

Image
User avatar
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016
 
Posts: 31724
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Rockape » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 am

FFS.... that was a simple pass and nothing more. Even I hit passes like that occasionally. He had the time and played it beautifully, nothing more.

Let’s not get over excited, we need Ozil to maintain this form for the run in. He’s had a good rest, so hopefully no injuries or excuses. If he can play us into a third place finish, then we can salute his quality.
User avatar
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Puerto Pollensa in my mind

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Rockape wrote:FFS.... that was a simple pass and nothing more. Even I hit passes like that occasionally. He had the time and played it beautifully, nothing more.

Let’s not get over excited, we need Ozil to maintain this form for the run in. He’s had a good rest, so hopefully no injuries or excuses. If he can play us into a third place finish, then we can salute his quality.


You would hope so for professional footballers but how many times have you seen that kind of pass overhit, misdirected, or not even attempted. You need a certain level of confidence as well as technique to pull that pass off. As far as our team is concerned, Ozil is one of only a very few that you can assuredly say will complete a lot more passes like that again. You can really only say that about a handful of other players in our team.
Leno
(Runarsson/Macey)
Bellerin Saliba Gabriel Tierney
(Cedric/Niles) (Holding/Mustafi) (Mari/Sokratis) (Kolasinac/Bola)
Xhaka
(Elneny/Luiz)
Partey —- Ceballos
(Torreira/Matteo) --- (Ozil/Willock)
Pepe -------------------- Auba(c)
(Willian/ESR) -------------------- (Saka/Nelson)
Lacazette
(Martinelli/Nketiah)


Last Updated: 10/26/20
User avatar
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18513
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: The Peach State

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby ag6789 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:03 pm

I still believe Ozil was under used mid season, and that's why we had the dip in team performance. Ended up fighting for 3rd-6th.
I always believed we had a good group of players, and should have done better both in the league and domestic cups.
Shouldn't have lost to ManU in FA and get smashed by L'POOL in the away game.
Unai's set up of teams for a number of games in mid season, was absolute disaster, and mind boggling.
Anyway, hope recent results been an eye-opening for him,and, from now on he will put the best players on field and not try to be too smart or try to 'teach some players ' any lessons.
ag6789
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 am

Wrighty on point as usual!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10120
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests