The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal manager Unai Emery says Mezut Ozil's future at Arsenal is in his own hands.

"The key is in his hands and he is working very well this week, " Emery said.

"He needs to be consistent in training and for matches, without injury or being sick. Without that we can see the best Mesut with us."

Oh boy

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-14025907

PR wars. Arsenal are fighting back.

"The key is in his hands. He is working very well this week," Emery told Wednesday's press conference prior to the game.

I ask him in our conversation for consistency, to be available for us for training, when you can train consistently you can help us with your best performance in the games.

"This week has been good for all the players. I am looking at him doing the training like we want.

"He needs to be available consistently for training, without the injuries, without the sickness."
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal manager Unai Emery says Mezut Ozil's future at Arsenal is in his own hands.

"He needs to be consistent in training and for matches, without injury or being sick. Without that we can see the best Mesut with us."

Somebody tell him that Ozil isn't a DM.

Also, I can't wait for Ozil to leave Arsenal AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM, so that we can move on and Gooners can finally shift their focus on Lacazette or Bellerín.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

Also, I can't wait for Ozil to leave Arsenal AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM, so that we can move on and Gooners can finally shift their focus on Lacazette or Bellerín.

Iwobi says hi.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

We don't actually have to talk about him ALL THE F'KIN TIME you know......its not like anyone REALLY knows what's actually going on!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

Iwobi says hi.

Iwobi is irrelevant and isn't world class. Gooners are known to dislike world class Arsenal players, or thereabouts.

With Ozil gone, I'd love to watch who Arsenal fans turn on next. :cold2:

Rockape wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

We don't actually have to talk about him ALL THE F'KIN TIME you know......its not like anyone REALLY knows what's actually going on!

Yes, we don't need to.

I'd rather we sold him in the summer just so that the bitching can stop.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

Iwobi says hi.

Iwobi is irrelevant and isn't world class. Gooners are known to dislike world class Arsenal players, or thereabouts.

With Ozil gone, I'd love to watch who Arsenal fans turn on next. :cold2:

Rockape wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Ach wrote:

Yes, we don't need to.

I'd rather we sold him in the summer just so that the bitching can stop.

What other example do you have of us 'hating' a world class player?

We don't have a thread like this for any other player. No examples for Sanchez, RVP, Cesc.... name them.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Thread like this for ex-Arsenal players, or is Ozil no longer a Gunner?*

Twist it as much as you want, the majority of Arsenal fans shit on Alexis, van Persie, Cesc, and Nasri. The first three are legit world class players and Nasri had world class potential. Even Sagna isn't spared by some. The most disliked/controversial Arsenal player today? You're in his thread.

* Please visit the World Football section if you want a dedicated thread.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Angelito wrote:Thread like this for ex-Arsenal players, or is Ozil no longer a Gunner?*

Twist it as much as you want, the majority of Arsenal fans shit on Alexis, van Persie, Cesc, and Nasri. The first three are legit world class players and Nasri had world class potential. Even Sagna isn't spared by some. The most disliked/controversial Arsenal player today? You're in his thread.

Don't let the title of this forum fool you. It's just a few individuals that hold such views. Also, none of the players mentioned have such a long running thread where their quality is questioned everywhere. Pundits, ex player's, manager's....
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
darkshadow1111 wrote:Looking from the outside, I just feel that Ozil is not the player needed to take Arsenal forward and for the wages he's currently on I would be absolutely livid if he played for my team imo. Just ask yourself this - which team in the top 6 would take Ozil off your hands if they had the chance? I don't think any would and rightly so. For all the talk about "key passes" he creates when I watch him play in important games (about the only time I really watch Arsenal) I almost always end up thinking "what does this guy really actually do?" and you could put that down to my footballing ignorance as much as you like and pop up those "key passes" stats as much as you like but it's just not me who has noticed this - even some arsenal legends have echoed the same sentiments. The fact that some people actually use his stats to argue that he may be a better or in the same league as the likes of Eriksen, de bruyn and Hazard is completely laughable - their "key passes" may not miles behind Ozil but you can clearly see their influence in most games you watch them.

Also I would just like to know if the video above was officially counted as 34 chances created because that would just make the whole chances created stat useless imo. From that video he created 2 very good chances.

Can I also ask - do headers from deadball situations count as chances created,no matter is they are free headers or hard fought and near impossible to score headers? Because I think that could heavily skew his chances created stats as one think you have to hand Ozil he really is good on deadball situations and his corners and free kicks tend to be accurate

Mate the bottom line is this - you are spouting the same rubbish as some of the Arsenal fans on here, the fact that a few people have this opinion is neither here or there and hardly makes it fact or relevant. What IS relevant is that Ozil IS an Arsenal player and one of the best CAMs in world football. The very same stats you claim are skewed toward Ozil are similarly skewed towards every other player on the planet. All others, like KDB, like Eriksen have excellent deadball delivery too.

Many Arsenal legends chat shit, Keown the chief culprit. Ask Arsenal fans here how many Arsenal legends opinion's mean anything to them, they get slated all the time, rightly or wrongly.

Yet at the same time you dismiss the difference between the key pass stats to the big chance creation stats because Ozil doesn't come out on top.

Show me where I did that ? I clearly stated that the Big Chance stat does not trump another stat. I tried to give an objective reason as to why Ozil may not feature so highly on the Big chance stat, because of the suggestion they are chances created close to goal and Ozil spends most of his time outside the box.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:27 pm

I think he really does have some kind of chronic illness, rather than it being purely about Emery not rating him.

The die is cast either way. Even if he came back, he wouldn't provide more than his usual 8-9 assists and 4-5 goals, and nobody's going to pay £350k pw for that.

Of course he's still better than Mikhytaryan or Iwobi, so I do want to see him play. But I also think he should go at the end of the season.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

darkshadow1111 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Mate the bottom line is this - you are spouting the same rubbish as some of the Arsenal fans on here, the fact that a few people have this opinion is neither here or there and hardly makes it fact or relevant. What IS relevant is that Ozil IS an Arsenal player and one of the best CAMs in world football. The very same stats you claim are skewed toward Ozil are similarly skewed towards every other player on the planet. All others, like KDB, like Eriksen have excellent deadball delivery too.

Many Arsenal legends chat shit, Keown the chief culprit. Ask Arsenal fans here how many Arsenal legends opinion's mean anything to them, they get slated all the time, rightly or wrongly.

You can't actually be serious.

Perfectly serious. Ozil in any team with quality players around him will produce class leading numbers, like he did before coming to Arsenal and like he has in flashes for us. We have too many players not at the required level to get the best out of Ozil.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:Thread like this for ex-Arsenal players, or is Ozil no longer a Gunner?*

Don't let the title of this forum fool you. It's just a few individuals that hold such views. Also, none of the players mentioned have such a long running thread where their quality is questioned everywhere. Pundits, ex player's, manager's....

Arsenal fans have booed Alexis, van Persie, Sagna, and Nasri at GoonersWorld Stadium. Oh, wait.

Cesc hasn't received much love either from the fanbase.

Nobody cares about British pundits who have no knowledge of the sport they're supposed to be experts on. Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp, Diego Simeone, and Joachim Low have all hailed Ozil. That's a who's who of managers.

Meh. Can't be bothered with people who deny facts to prove their point. Please carry on.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Thats because most pundits are simpletons. Ozil has been criticised since he was young, he said in an interview. He said it doesn't bother him. All British pundits know is blood and thunder football, mad dogs and Englishmen. You just need to hear the likes of Carragher and Souness talk to know what I mean, if you are not prepared to run into an opponent at 100mph you are sub standard or you don't have any heart. Its bollox.

The only British pundit that vaguely respects technical ability over physical is Hoddle and if you see Hoddle's comments toward Ozil he too has nothing nice to say about him, recently claiming that he goes missing in the big games and that Hazard does the opposite. So its funny to find an article where Hoddle himself states that Mesut Ozil and Sanchez performed better on the day than Hazard and Pedro, in the FA Cup final. :rofll:

https://zapsportz.com/alexis-sanchez-and-mesut-ozil-were-better-on-the-day-than-eden-hazard-and-pedro-says-glenn-hoddle/

But but but ..... Ozil goes missing in big games.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Arsenal fans have booed Alexis, van Persie, Sagna, and Nasri at GoonersWorld Stadium. Oh, wait.

Cesc hasn't received much love either from the fanbase.

Nobody cares about British pundits who have no knowledge of the sport they're supposed to be experts on. Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp, Diego Simeone, and Joachim Low have all hailed Ozil. That's a who's who of managers.

Meh. Can't be bothered with people who deny facts to prove their point. Please carry on.

Tell me when those players were booed because of their performances? Any bad ill will towards those players came at times when they were stalling on their contracts and left or after they’ve left. It’s zero to do with their performances and we’ve never had a consistent debate about their quality from start to finish of their Arsenal career. The only other players I think of that divide opinion like this are Ramsey and Walcott.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
darkshadow1111 wrote:Looking from the outside, I just feel that Ozil is not the player needed to take Arsenal forward and for the wages he's currently on I would be absolutely livid if he played for my team imo. Just ask yourself this - which team in the top 6 would take Ozil off your hands if they had the chance? I don't think any would and rightly so. For all the talk about "key passes" he creates when I watch him play in important games (about the only time I really watch Arsenal) I almost always end up thinking "what does this guy really actually do?" and you could put that down to my footballing ignorance as much as you like and pop up those "key passes" stats as much as you like but it's just not me who has noticed this - even some arsenal legends have echoed the same sentiments. The fact that some people actually use his stats to argue that he may be a better or in the same league as the likes of Eriksen, de bruyn and Hazard is completely laughable - their "key passes" may not miles behind Ozil but you can clearly see their influence in most games you watch them.

Also I would just like to know if the video above was officially counted as 34 chances created because that would just make the whole chances created stat useless imo. From that video he created 2 very good chances.

Can I also ask - do headers from deadball situations count as chances created,no matter is they are free headers or hard fought and near impossible to score headers? Because I think that could heavily skew his chances created stats as one think you have to hand Ozil he really is good on deadball situations and his corners and free kicks tend to be accurate

Mate the bottom line is this - you are spouting the same rubbish as some of the Arsenal fans on here, the fact that a few people have this opinion is neither here or there and hardly makes it fact or relevant. What IS relevant is that Ozil IS an Arsenal player and one of the best CAMs in world football. The very same stats you claim are skewed toward Ozil are similarly skewed towards every other player on the planet. All others, like KDB, like Eriksen have excellent deadball delivery too.

Yet at the same time you dismiss the difference between the key pass stats to the big chance creation stats because Ozil doesn't come out on top.

Show me where I did that ? I clearly stated that the Big Chance stat does not trump another stat. I tried to give an objective reason as to why Ozil may not feature so highly on the Big chance stat, because of the suggestion they are chances created close to goal and Ozil spends most of his time outside the box.

I don't think you know what counts as a big chance. It has nothing to do with Ozil playing outside of the box.

To come up with stuff like the below....
Why is this important? Ozil creates chances that his teammates miss. Not Ozil's fault. You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink.

You need to look at the big chance creation stat and not just the chance creation stats because you wrongly assume Ozil is putting chances on a plate for players and we keep missing. We've already discussed how he hardly sets up the best players in the squad and to this day his best striker pairing was with Giroud.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club