The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm

ag6789 wrote:I agree and so does Paul Merson and Ian Wright. People are baffled how does it makes sense by benching your top player, w/o having a proper replacement and on top of that, showing terrible form game in and game out.
Also, Overmars says Sanchez should get back to AFC to regain his old self. Think Unai will have a proper seizure if that happens.

It makes no sense and we'll see if he gets back into the team or stays on the bench. With the January transfer gone, surely they can see that they need to play Ozil to drum up interest for him. We're in dodgy territory where if the club had an agenda to sell Ozil they'd try to remedy the situation between Ozil and Unai so both parties can get what they want. I don't see how this can continue.

What sort of effect must this be having on the team?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Several paper's are reporting PSG offered him a loan deal in January (paying his full salary) but he refused to go .... of course that's his choice but since then he's been 'unavailable' for five games ... sick, back ache, mental issues who knows?

If you don't think it's Ozil who's holding the club to ransom what more will convince you? He will sit on his arse and suck 50m in salary out of our club over the next 120 weeks ... and yet still some fans are 'respecting' and 'admiring' him for doing that? why?

Maybe Emery has sidelined Ozil but for sure Ozil is not putting Arsenal first ... as an Arsenal fan to me that's unacceptable, the sooner he goes the better, but on 350k a week that may be a very long time coming .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:32 pm

BS221B wrote:

Regardless of how much Emery and his squad tries to get rid of him, the man is here to stay. He got my respect.

Xhaka, Mustafi, Iwobi and Lacazette have all liked that post from Ozil.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 am

EliteKiller wrote:Several paper's are reporting PSG offered him a loan deal in January (paying his full salary) but he refused to go .... of course that's his choice but since then he's been 'unavailable' for five games ... sick, back ache, mental issues who knows?

These 'reports' all came out on Jan 30/31, and they're all based on the same source report, which is a nothingburger article from German paper SuedeDeutsche; kinda like how BBC have a rumours round-up articles. No sources cited, just statements about Tuchel considering Ozil or James Rodriguez as loan backups while Neymar is injured.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/oezil ... -1.4310347
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
So you have evidence of the Board telling Emery that he can't pick Ozil?

The Board wanting to sell Ozil and getting him off the wage bill is totally different from directly intervening with Emery's team selection and strategy.

Also, you didn't say Emery rated Ozil, but by saying it's not just his decision to bench and then coming up with nonsense a theories about Raul telling Emery to bench Ozil and that he can't refuse suggests that Emery rates Ozil enough to play him but his hands are tied.

I don't need Specsavers. You need receipts for such ideas. Has Raul pulled a stunt like this before where he's told a coach that he can't play a certain player?

I've already explained all of that.

How complicit Emery is, is opinion, he could be fully complicit as you suspect, I'm not saying any different.

What I'm saying is if the board have decided they want to oust Ozil which I have already explained a number of reasons why they are (proven / rumoured and reported) then he may of been given instructions to alienate Ozil from the squad as much as possible.

Ozil is not easily going to walk away from £350k, they are carrying out extreme measures to dislodge him.

What I did say is if you think Emery in his first season as a Coach, is walking around basically p*ssing off and trying to get rid and benching an Arsenal player who's on £350k pw whilst not winning every single game on his own accord then your fkin dense.

You tell me, how the hell could he explain that to the board?? ............ if they indeed want to keep Ozil?

Emery does not make buying / selling decisions, do you think he's chosen to get rid of Ozil on his own? he's had full backing if not orders from Raul (who Ornstein said doesn't like Ozil).

Your complaint about leaving him benched as I said, that could very well be down to Emery ......... or, it could be part of the plan to upset him enough to want to leave as per the board decision.

Which way you want to fly with that in your own mind is not my business, believe what you will.

I don't have any agenda's I'm just saying what I'm seeing / hearing.

So Emery is shielding the board? Just like you accessed Wenger of doing.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:54 am

aniym wrote:These 'reports' all came out on Jan 30/31, and they're all based on the same source report, which is a nothingburger article from German paper SuedeDeutsche; kinda like how BBC have a rumours round-up articles. No sources cited, just statements about Tuchel considering Ozil or James Rodriguez as loan backups while Neymar is injured.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/oezil ... -1.4310347

What's your point?

Actions speak louder than words, Ozil walked out on the German team, he's now downed tools at Arsenal ... is that a player we should all admire and respect?

As for social media, if you're dumb enough to believe that a player not a highly paid consultancy firm runs multi-millionaire footballer's accounts, they you're just not that smart ...

'When you start supporting a football club, you don't support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.' .... about as much chance of Ozil writing that himself as my granny (and she's dead) ... get real

If Ozil 'belongs' here why has he missed 100 out of 314 possible games ... to put that into perspective that's more than Ronaldo or Messi have missed in an entire decade ... and more than Adams or Keown missed in their entire careers ... sick? injured? wrong in the head? or just not all that bothered?

Ozil is now obviously campaigning against Emery ... doesn't matter who wins that fight whatever the result our club loses ... look what player power has done to Chelsea then tell me you're OK with that happening to us ....

Be under no illusion, just as Wenger overstaying by 3/4/5 years ripped our club in half, a drawn out fight between Ozil and Emery will do exactly the same, it already is. The media lives for this shit, when will we learn not to feed the beast.

We are already in the second trier of European clubs, another few years of turmoil and forget CL even Thursday nights will be just a memory. Our club and our fans need to pull together, if it's a choice between the manager and an ageing player then the player's got to go ... after all no individual is bigger than The Arsenal.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 am

Lol, EK clutching at straws :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:45 am

Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:I agree and so does Paul Merson and Ian Wright. People are baffled how does it makes sense by benching your top player, w/o having a proper replacement and on top of that, showing terrible form game in and game out.
Also, Overmars says Sanchez should get back to AFC to regain his old self. Think Unai will have a proper seizure if that happens.

It makes no sense and we'll see if he gets back into the team or stays on the bench. With the January transfer gone, surely they can see that they need to play Ozil to drum up interest for him. We're in dodgy territory where if the club had an agenda to sell Ozil they'd try to remedy the situation between Ozil and Unai so both parties can get what they want. I don't see how this can continue.

What sort of effect must this be having on the team?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It seems that that's the strategy the club's going for, assuming they want to sell Ozil.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 am

theHotHead wrote:Lol, EK clutching at straws :rofll:

Not really just fed up that the Wenger arselickers who sat back and watched him take our club from title winners to struggling top six, are now crawling all over Ozil who has managed to deliver less and less every year for the last three seasons ....

Do you like supporting people who are very obviously going in the wrong direction? is it some masochistic thing?

Or am I wrong did Wenger improve us at all in the last ten years? Has Ozil got any better in the last three years? He's made less appearances, scored less goals, provided less assists, so just what am I missing?

Why do you back knackered show ponies? once they're done they're done ... Arsene should have gone in 2010 ... Ozil should never have been given a new contract ... we got it wrong suck it up and move on
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:08 am

Help me understand why starting Mkhitaryan is a better option than Ozil? There is some logic to Iwobi in that he gives a more physical performance so if that’s what the manager wants then I can see why. But what does Mkhitaryan do better than Ozil?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:01 am

swipe right wrote:Help me understand why starting Mkhitaryan is a better option than Ozil? There is some logic to Iwobi in that he gives a more physical performance so if that’s what the manager wants then I can see why. But what does Mkhitaryan do better than Ozil?

Mkhi makes himself available ... Ozil is the one who has missed 1 in 3 games (and that goes back long before Emery) that's down to him.

As to your question Mkhi has provided more goals and more assists ...

This season Mkhi 1817 minutes 6 goals 7 assists - Ozil 1378 minutes 5 goals 2 assists .... frankly neither off them are achieving anywhere near what you'd expect from a quality AM ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 am

EliteKiller wrote:

Not really just fed up that the Wenger arselickers who sat back and watched him take our club from title winners to struggling top six, are now crawling all over Ozil who has managed to deliver less and less every year for the last three seasons ....

Do you like supporting people who are very obviously going in the wrong direction? is it some masochistic thing?

Or am I wrong did Wenger improve us at all in the last ten years? Has Ozil got any better in the last three years? He's made less appearances, scored less goals, provided less assists, so just what am I missing?

Why do you back knackered show ponies? once they're done they're done ... Arsene should have gone in 2010 ... Ozil should never have been given a new contract ... we got it wrong suck it up and move on

Im a fan of Ozil, I know what he is good at and what he is not good at. I know that Ozil is no leader, I know that he can't drag a team forwards, I know that he cannot perform well if the players around him are not performing well, I also know that for Ozil to look good he needs a support network.

Bearing all of this in mind I still like Ozil and still rate him as one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. When things were in place for him in Germany and Spain he topped the assists charts. He has had inferior players during his time at Arsenal but still managed to create more chances than any other player in the league!

Ozil is not a knackered show pony, I believe that, with the right players Ozil will shine. He needs to stay upfield and he needs to get the ball early. Passing the ball sideways for half the game is part of the problem. When we had Cazorla he was fleet footed, he could receive the ball, turn, beat a player and get the ball forward quickly to Ozil, immediately putting us on the attack.

Name a better sight in world football than a team on the attack with Ozil on the ball. He is majestic, his vision is second to none, most of the time his execution is too - but he needs things to be in place to perform at his best.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:26 am

EliteKiller, you need to understand that Ozil isn't ill or injured. He's just being dropped by Unai Emery. Ralph Honigstein, one of the most reliable journalists out there, has pretty much alluded to this.

Ozil is fit. Unai isn't playing him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BerlinGunner90 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am

What I don‘t get is that some of our players seem to be behind Özil.

The second point is that we clearly have no creativy in most of our games. I get that they don‘t want to play Özil in all games and i‘m behind that. He has problems in big games. BUT in games like thursday against Bate Özil could really shine for us.

Ramsey and Özil are the only chance for us to play beautiful football. All of the other players clearly have problems to create something out of nothing. They just follow their tactical instructions. Lacazette and Auba are often on their own if Ramsey or Özil are not playing.

The third thing is that Emery doesn‘t get results without Mesut and still plays his 343 which means for me that the board is behind him.

The last thing is that the board wants Mesut to force him out of the club with him doesn‘t get any playing time. Sorry but this is stupid. Özil won‘t leave until a bigger club with similar wages knocks on the door. No big club will knock and pay that amount of money if he hasn‘t played for months.
BerlinGunner90
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Nuggets » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:52 am

EliteKiller wrote:

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club