Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:See what I mean, JayRam is nothing but a fraud who moves goal posts consistently every time he gets boxed in.

......... and some of you (Santi) have fallen for it thinking he's making good arguments, he isn't, he's squirming out stats because he's lost every single comparison bar ones he's invented and chopped and changed which aren't even direct fair comparisons.

This is exactly what he’s doing. You are correct. Still listing players who scored more goals than Auba as a way to prove he’s not got one of the best goals to games ratios... then desperately going back to the 1930’s and even then can’t name more than 5 players (still making him one of the most prolific). Tragic. :crybaby:
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:18 pm

starmandb wrote:I have to say that under the guide that jayram set which was van persie,s best years in the premier league versus the only measure of aubameyang we have which are the 2 and a half years he has been at arsenal then van persie has 8 more goals
I must admit though
My blood is a bit twisted with the contractions
However i feel it slghtly disingenuous to talk about how van persie was injury hit so allowances needed to be made.
I had no problem with the club handling van persies injurys
They had a duty of care to do so and had they thought the balance was not in our favour would have been quick to dispatch him.
Its an area the club need to improve on recognising that players do whats best for their career( as they should) its a pro rata thing.. he owed us nothing.
That all said if he was not on the pitch he couldnt perform.
Aubameyang has pretty much been fit and available in all his time at the club so this must be taken into account
Of coarse he could sign on again and have a leg break the next day ending or truncating a career
Injury is part and parcel of the game
However we are in this instance talking about what has gone before.
Jayram your main gripe seems to be what happens from here on in with a 31 year old.
That doesn't really have relevance to whats gone before.

Correct - I really only care about what happens now.
The RVP issue only came up because Utd got him for 24m plus wages and if we sign Auba we lose about 30m in transfer fee and pay another 39m (maybe more) in wages. So in comaprison, 69m for 22 league goals a season and not much in teh way of creativity for others seems like a lot to pay.

Even then, was a sidebar.

The core of my argument is that at 31, if we offer a 3yr deal Auba will be 34 at the end of his contract. I don't think he's going to get any better, that's for sure and 69m for a 31yr old to provide 22 goals a season (with a risk of it being less) seems like it is not good value. I think there are so many other parts of the team that need investment and I am far less worried than others about where the goals are going to come from.

The truth is our team goals have been falling since we got Auba. It may very well be that mentally we rely on him too much.. i've seen situations where Laca and more recently Nketiah try to set him up instead of going for goal. I fully believe that team play is more important to generating goals than any one striker. City are a prime example of this, but also Liverpool.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm

hs6bx wrote:A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Simple as that. Football is about winning trophies - why should we as fans be prioritising the profit the club makes over success? We shouldn’t care about profit as long as we are successful and sustainable.

Are you willing to take a step back even further next year by selling our top goalscorer and gambling on a new striker working out? Or would you rather pay the man who you know will deliver and slowly introduce the young strikers we have whilst having a Great role model?

Because selling Auba and reinvesting the money puts us in a stronger position in 3 years time than winning the odd Cup trophy but losing the player and earning nothing once his contract ends. Keeping Auba didn't get us CL football and it won't next year. Building a better team by using the funds from the sale of Auba would help us far more.

Now, thats the logic behind what EK and Jayram are saying and it makes perfectly logical sense. Now, whether you can accept taking a step back (loss of Auba), to take 2 steps forward (investing the Auba money in a younger forward for longevity) is a different argument. Liverpool sold their best players and used the money to invest in improving their squad. Are you going to tell me they made a mistake ??
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:I have to say that under the guide that jayram set which was van persie,s best years in the premier league versus the only measure of aubameyang we have which are the 2 and a half years he has been at arsenal then van persie has 8 more goals

But that wasn't the original parameter and I should know because I set it, he interjected that after.

Why would I compare RVP's full prime to half of Auba's prime? (Auba's prime was at Dortmund) ......... makes no sense whatsoever.

So I said fine, lets measure actual prime, RVP last 6 years vs Auba last 6 years, Auba won by approx 34 goals.

Because we're talking about the PL, not German football where it is easier to score goals.
RVP's prime spanned only 3 years. He was injury-ridden for much of his career.

We only have 2.5 years of Auba in the PL and he is in his prime
RVP's prime actually coincides well age wise too for a good comparison.

The comparison shows RVP's peak was higher than Auba is producing.
It's not just that he produced a better 2.5 years at his PL peak - he also had one season in that peak that Auba doesn;t get near to. A height he will never reach. 30 goals in a single PL season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:28 pm

theHotHead wrote:
hs6bx wrote:A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Simple as that. Football is about winning trophies - why should we as fans be prioritising the profit the club makes over success? We shouldn’t care about profit as long as we are successful and sustainable.

Are you willing to take a step back even further next year by selling our top goalscorer and gambling on a new striker working out? Or would you rather pay the man who you know will deliver and slowly introduce the young strikers we have whilst having a Great role model?

Because selling Auba and reinvesting the money puts us in a stronger position in 3 years time than winning the odd Cup trophy but losing the player and earning nothing once his contract ends. Keeping Auba didn't get us CL football and it won't next year. Building a better team by using the funds from the sale of Auba would help us far more.

Now, thats the logic behind what EK and Jayram are saying and it makes perfectly logical sense. Now, whether you can accept taking a step back (loss of Auba), to take 2 steps forward (investing the Auba money in a younger forward for longevity) is a different argument. Liverpool sold their best players and used the money to invest in improving their squad. Are you going to tell me they made a mistake ??

This is spot on. It's not like I think Auba's goal scoring record is bad - I have called it very good. I just don;t go into the exagerations that some do.
Our team as a whole needs improvement and tying up huge chunks of cash in a 31 year old and getting nothing back financially from a transfer fee makes the risk too large. I'd have to believe that all of a sudden we'd make the CL again in at least a couple of seasons out of the three, but we've had Auba for 2.5 seasons and not only missed out on CL football, we've dropped to 8th.

Now if money was no object, sure keep Auba.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 350k we gave to Ozil unsettled the entire team. It caused Ramsey to leave in my view because he was not offered anything close to that by us. How are the other players going to react with yet another player on a huge wage (it's now being reported as 300k a week)... we can;t afford to keep doing this. Huge wages to keep players and losing out on transfer fees, whilst upping the bar in terms of contract asks every time a player gets to 2 yrs / 18 months left.

I am also really pissed off that Auba has not made his mind up - we're in the transfer window now. We're juggling finances that include paying Auba a huge wage, whilst reportedly low balling offers for players that we want (I can believe those reports too given the history). This is already having an effect on our summer transfer window.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:33 pm

starmandb wrote:I had a senior moment earlier claiming aubameyang was the 10th highest goal scorer of all time at arsenal when he is the 31st.
I am still totally confused as to the parameters by which the comparison between van persie and him though. If this is considered aubameyang.s peak do we compare it with exactly the same age van persie was or his best ever 2 and half seasons in the premier league? I will report honestly hoping its aubameyang being s current player. I too liked van Persie like i do most that wore the shirt

Yeah I am a bit confused too, what are the parameters here ? Is the argument that Auba's strike rate in the 2.5 seasons he has been with us is better than RVP's strike rate with us, in his peak, over 2.5 seasons ?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm

theHotHead wrote:

No guarantee mate. Tottenham sold bale for 80m and wasted it all. Should we have sold bergkamp at 31, cazorla, Adams? By this logic you say sell them and reinvest in younger players for the future. It’s fine if you have top quality waiting in the wings to step in ala RvP, Adebayor etc. If not, it’s a big gamble to let your best players and biggest contributors go. Plus it sets a very poor precedent for the rest of the team if we let him go.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:I had a senior moment earlier claiming aubameyang was the 10th highest goal scorer of all time at arsenal when he is the 31st.
I am still totally confused as to the parameters by which the comparison between van persie and him though. If this is considered aubameyang.s peak do we compare it with exactly the same age van persie was or his best ever 2 and half seasons in the premier league? I will report honestly hoping its aubameyang being s current player. I too liked van Persie like i do most that wore the shirt

Yeah I am a bit confused too, what are the parameters here ? Is the argument that Auba's strike rate in the 2.5 seasons he has been with us is better than RVP's strike rate with us, in his peak, over 2.5 seasons ?

Yup - RVP's peak - his most prolific premier league 2.5 yrs vs what Auba has done since he joined.
It's not really that close, RVP is ahead by a fair bit on all metrics - but we've decsended into further critieria like not allowing RVP's first UTD season as one of his peak years and then trying to extend to 6 years of RVP at Arsenal (when he was injured a lot) to Auba in a combination of the PL and German league :dontknow:
At this point it's kind of a waste of time - feels like one of those political discussion that will never end.
Whatever.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:53 pm

hs6bx wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

No guarantee mate. Tottenham sold bale for 80m and wasted it all. Should we have sold bergkamp at 31, cazorla, Adams? By this logic you say sell them and reinvest in younger players for the future. It’s fine if you have top quality waiting in the wings to step in ala RvP, Adebayor etc. If not, it’s a big gamble to let your best players and biggest contributors go. Plus it sets a very poor precedent for the rest of the team if we let him go.

Hmm, Spurs got to a CL final after selling Bale, challenged for the title too (seriously challenged)

With Bale - league positions - 11,8,4,5,4,5
Without Bale - league positions - 6,5,3,2,3,5,6

I'd say they took a fairly big step up after Bale left. They made steady improvement for 5 years and almost got to the top of all European football. This is Spurs we're talking about here. Unfathomable whilst Bale was there.

As for Bergkamp , Cazorla and Adams - if those players were demanding huge wages at that age and holding out on signing a new contract well into the transfer window, then yeah, they should have been sold at 31. They were not, though. Club legends like that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Aubameyang - a contract hold out stringing th fans along onm twitter and instagram to aid his negotiating position. You would never have seen Bergkamp, Cazorla or Adams doing that in the media of their day.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Callum » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Okay, Auba just confirmed on his Insta that his son is going to study in Scotland.

Well, Celtic, it is, folks.

:shocked:

lol Hogwarts is not in Scotland bruh

Except it is. :dontknow:

It's in the Scottish Highlands and appears to a dilapidated castle to Muggles.

no f***ing way

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 pm

hs6bx wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

the single biggest mistake Wenger made, breaking up he Invincibles and not giving longer contracts to 30+ year old players. We got rid of quality and replaced it with sub-quality players. The exact opposite of what Liverpool did. :BangHead:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:
hs6bx wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

the single biggest mistake Wenger made, breaking up he Invincibles and not giving longer contracts to 30+ year old players. We got rid of quality and replaced it with sub-quality players. The exact opposite of what Liverpool did. :BangHead:

It's less about giving contracts - it's the money. If Auba was paid 100k a week on a 3 year deal, I'd be all for that.
Pires, for example, would have stayed at Arsenal for reasonable wages.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:02 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Hmm, Spurs got to a CL final after selling Bale, challenged for the title too (seriously challenged)

I'd say they took a fairly big step up after Bale left. They made steady improvement for 5 years and almost got to the top of all European football. This is Spurs we're talking about here. Unfathomable whilst Bale was there.

As for Bergkamp , Cazorls and Adams - if those players were demanding huge wages at that age and holding out on signing a new contract well into the transfer window, then yeah, they should have been sold at 31.

So you’re also now going back to when as far as when they signed bale and he was a left back, then couldn’t get in the side. Then going 7 seasons deep after they got rid of him to try demonstrate it was good business. Bet you’ll do that for Auba if he goes too!! Haha
Go look at the players they signed. I know how much you take pleasure in trying to discredit me and others but if you’re telling me that they reinvested that money well then I have to say you’re even more deluded than I thought. Getting to a final and challenging for the league. Great!
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm

hs6bx wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

As for Bergkamp , Cazorls and Adams - if those players were demanding huge wages at that age and holding out on signing a new contract well into the transfer window, then yeah, they should have been sold at 31.

So you’re also now going back to when as far as when they signed bale and he was a left back, then couldn’t get in the side. Then going 7 seasons deep after they got rid of him to try demonstrate it was good business. Bet you’ll do that for Auba if he goes too!! Haha
Go look at the players they signed. I know how much you take pleasure in trying to discredit me and others but if you’re telling me that they reinvested that money well then I have to say you’re even more deluded than I thought. Getting to a final and challenging for the league. Great!

No, just saying that when Bale was at Spurs they were not in any way even considered as title contenders or even the remotest possibility that they could get to a Champions League final. Yet when he left they did just that. Probably should have won the league in fact. They improved dramatically after sellinhg Bale, even compared to his years there as a foward.

I do agree that there are no guarantees, but Spurs and Bale is probably not a good example.

As for the players they bought - Christian Eriksen was one of them. He was instrumental in their rise.
It's also not as simple as just looking at the players they bought directly. The ones that didn;t work out were sold.. so the money generated from the Bale sale rolled on into the coffers. Example, they paid 8.6m for Capuoe, but they sold him for 6m. They bough Paulinho for 17m (he was jusy ok for them) but they sold him for 10m. Nacer Chaldi seemed to do quite well for them over their rise.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm

The reason people are sensitive about this is that weve recently been stung by Ozil being a waste of money on big wages, along with Alexis and Mikhi.

There is no reason to lump Auba in with them. Hes had a good fitness record and has shown a good attitude throughout his time with us. His form, overall, has been superb. Rather than looking at players we got stung on by keeping, look at the players we lost over the years who we should have kept but couldn't or wouldn't pay their wages.... its a much longer list

Lacazette needs to leave simply because of his unreliable form.

Auba is a reliable source of goals, and a reasonable risk. Of course giving him a big contract could backfire but with all things considered, we must do it. We need to sell Lacazette as a bigger priority.

Martinelli is the forgotten man in all this.... people wonder who might replace Auba…. well keep Auba a few more years and it just might be Martinelli at the cost of.... f**k all
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club