What are you reading?

Talk about TV, Film, Music and Games.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:37 pm

AlexMills wrote:SPQR by the SJW Mary Beard.


I don't write books pal
SuperJackyWilshere
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby LMAO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:23 am

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:Not reading as such but seeing as we don't have a thread for plays, because, well, you're all a bunch of common scum, I went to watch The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde this evening

Seriously, what a load of old shit

It's meant to be a comedy. It's about as funny as a field full of dead kittens


Plays are abominable bores attended by anachronistic snobs tbh


If he were in front of you UFGN would remove his glove and slap you with it.


And say, “I demand satisfaction.”


Unbearable philistines :snooty:


Do you also prefer to send messages by carrier pigeon?

Whatever floats your boat, but I don't wanna sit and stare at a relatively unremarkable 30 ft. x 15 ft. stage for three hours while suffering through two intermissions. I'll stick to modern entertainment and enjoy scripts in 4K with dope-ass CGI that provides immersive environments. Why anyone would bother partaking in the less superior medium (theatrical plays when we have movies in 2018) is beyond me.
User avatar
LMAO
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:Not reading as such but seeing as we don't have a thread for plays, because, well, you're all a bunch of common scum, I went to watch The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde this evening

Seriously, what a load of old shit

It's meant to be a comedy. It's about as funny as a field full of dead kittens


Plays are abominable bores attended by anachronistic snobs tbh


If he were in front of you UFGN would remove his glove and slap you with it.


And say, “I demand satisfaction.”


Unbearable philistines :snooty:


Do you also prefer to send messages by carrier pigeon?

Whatever floats your boat, but I don't wanna sit and stare at a relatively unremarkable 30 ft. x 15 ft. stage for three hours while suffering through two intermissions. I'll stick to modern entertainment and enjoy scripts in 4K with dope-ass CGI that provides immersive environments. Why anyone would bother partaking in the less superior medium (theatrical plays when we have movies in 2018) is beyond me.


I'm struggling to see how watching something in 4K is better than actually watching something real..... you can't get better definition than live
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014
 
Posts: 17299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Pudpop » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 am

Also there's the whole movies costing much more thing.

Plenty of great plays I've watched where I'd have never seen that story if movies were the only medium we had.
Image
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
User avatar
Pudpop
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12276
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: The Windy Cape

Re: What are you reading?

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am

Pudpop wrote:Also there's the whole movies costing much more thing.

Plenty of great plays I've watched where I'd have never seen that story if movies were the only medium we had.


The thing about watching live theatre is you have to be patient and open minded. I've sat through some awful crap, but when you see something good in the theatre there's nothing like it.

I also am a bit unusual in enjoying both musicals and non musical plays
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014
 
Posts: 17299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Fenice » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm

UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Also there's the whole movies costing much more thing.

Plenty of great plays I've watched where I'd have never seen that story if movies were the only medium we had.


The thing about watching live theatre is you have to be patient and open minded. I've sat through some awful crap, but when you see something good in the theatre there's nothing like it.

I also am a bit unusual in enjoying both musicals and non musical plays


Same. Won’t have you take on the ruffians alone. Have seen musicals and farces. Both great.
Image
User avatar
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6215
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

LMAO wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, but I don't wanna sit and stare at a relatively unremarkable 30 ft. x 15 ft. stage for three hours while suffering through two intermissions. I'll stick to modern entertainment and enjoy scripts in 4K with dope-ass CGI that provides immersive environments. Why anyone would bother partaking in the less superior medium (theatrical plays when we have movies in 2018) is beyond me.


That is the most millennial thing I've ever read.

Theatre provides an entirely different dynamic and level of immersion than movies.

I don't know why you think big screens make films more immersive, it's just the opposite imo. It doesn't get more immersive than witnessing something right before your eyes.

Theater is also much more intimate.

Apples vs oranges.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 19910
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, but I don't wanna sit and stare at a relatively unremarkable 30 ft. x 15 ft. stage for three hours while suffering through two intermissions. I'll stick to modern entertainment and enjoy scripts in 4K with dope-ass CGI that provides immersive environments. Why anyone would bother partaking in the less superior medium (theatrical plays when we have movies in 2018) is beyond me.


That is the most millennial thing I've ever read.

Theatre provides an entirely different dynamic and level of immersion than movies.

I don't know why you think big screens make films more immersive, it's just the opposite imo. It doesn't get more immersive than witnessing something right before your eyes.

Theater is also much more intimate.

Apples vs oranges.


I once saw a performance of Les Miserables where the first, second and third choices to play Jean Valjean were unavailable

A young ensemble actor was told a few hours before Showtime to just get stuck in and do his best.

He'd never played the role before in his life, never even rehearsed it. He played a small role in the show

I was in row two. He was incredible. The emotion was real. Everyone in the audience was aware of the situation and lived the moment with him

He hit it out the park with one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen on stage

CGI, bitch please

(That guy is now one of the most in demand leading actors in the West End btw)
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014
 
Posts: 17299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What are you reading?

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, but I don't wanna sit and stare at a relatively unremarkable 30 ft. x 15 ft. stage for three hours while suffering through two intermissions. I'll stick to modern entertainment and enjoy scripts in 4K with dope-ass CGI that provides immersive environments. Why anyone would bother partaking in the less superior medium (theatrical plays when we have movies in 2018) is beyond me.


That is the most millennial thing I've ever read.

Theatre provides an entirely different dynamic and level of immersion than movies.

I don't know why you think big screens make films more immersive, it's just the opposite imo. It doesn't get more immersive than witnessing something right before your eyes.

Theater is also much more intimate.

Apples vs oranges.


Take Avatar, Dunkirk, and Blade Runner 2049 as examples. There's no theatrical play in the world that can compete with those levels of detailed environments.

The most realistic immersive environment I'll experience at a play is pretending I'm in some dude's living room, like in Death of a Salesman. The only way theatrical environments will be able to get on the level of movies is when AR becomes a viable technology; until then, I'll simply have a hard time suspending belief and pretending I'm in a hectic city or scenic pasture, thus detracting from the rest of the play for me.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. I'm extremely biased because even as a little kid, I wasn't a fan of theatrical plays for one reason or another; I've always found them a pain to sit through. However, plays in the format of Twelve Angry Men would be the only plays I'd find bearable, but I'd still rather see them in movie form.
User avatar
LMAO
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy aka the greatest living writer.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 19910
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby ania » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 am

The Alchemist
User avatar
ania
Liam Brady
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 am

Just finished The Real Great Escape by Guy Walters.

Meat off the bones, detailed analysis of the whole affair and the people involved. What happened, why did it happen, and was it worth it?

Good read for anyone interested in the subject.
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dejan » Yesterday 4:53 pm

Image

Love the series of Arlidge. 9/10

Image

First chapter was terrible. After that pretty decent. 7/10
Rest in Peace SE13 :(


Image
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 22921
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Pudpop » Yesterday 7:00 pm

Image

Really enjoyable Sci-fi series. Hollywood blockbuster-style but still has an enjoyable depth to it.

Also gave the TV series a go, but haven't carried on after Ep 3 as they kind of ruined one of the main characters.
Image
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
User avatar
Pudpop
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12276
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: The Windy Cape

Previous

Return to Entertainment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests