Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby coach8smallball » Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Roycck wrote:I think he will come good under a new manager. He is not a DM.

so.....even being a subpar b2b isn't enough.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby alexafc12 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Do think big G could do well if this Umai pubber gives him a defined position and instructions
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby coach8smallball » Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Do think big G could do well if this Umai pubber gives him a defined position and instructions

have to see to believe it.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 23, 2018 6:52 pm

He wouldn't be happy in a strict DM role. If he stays he should be paired with an actual DM like Nzonzi or Elneny. He has a great left foot on him, that shouldn't go to waste.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 am

Big Kike Marin who was also one of the first to be on the Emery train said that the Spaniard has always wanted to work with Xhaka and feels like he could get the best out of him

Quality stuff
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Xhaka is class player, just need to have someone that will make him think about the game tactically, plus a game plan to negate his weaknesses.

Still only 25, which is young for this position, I know busquets bossed it as a kid at DM he had the worlds best football schooling though, with a bit of schooling xhaka will run things.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 pm

I think what you both are failing to acknowledge is that we have a very uneven, imbalanced midfield.

Both Ramsey and Xhaka excel in a 4-3-3. Well, Xhaka hasn't excelled so far at Arsenal, but let's set that aside for a while. Ramsey is a limited CM if judged on his midfield role alone. But he's world class in the final third. Xhaka is a DLP who won't be able to bring the best of his game to the fore if he isn't placed alongside a strong DM/powerful B2B player and a CAM.

In the case of Ramsey, he needs a DLP and a DM next to him because he isn't a very good passer, nor can he dictate the tempo, or excel when he's not scoring goals.

Then, we have Wilshere who seems to have past his prime already. Elneny, by default, becomes our most complete CM - even if he isn't great.

Playing Xhaka and Ramsey in the same midfield isn't a good idea. It's a case of either/or.

And as you can tell, our CMs are lopsided. They have their strengths, but they're incredibly weak in their weak areas. There is no balance.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby arsenalpan » Thu May 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Angelito wrote:I think what you both are failing to acknowledge is that we have a very uneven, imbalanced midfield.

Both Ramsey and Xhaka excel in a 4-3-3. Well, Xhaka hasn't excelled so far at Arsenal, but let's set that aside for a while. Ramsey is a limited CM if judged on his midfield role alone. But he's world class in the final third. Xhaka is a DLP who won't be able to bring the best of his game to the fore if he isn't placed alongside a strong DM/powerful B2B player and a CAM.

In the case of Ramsey, he needs a DLP and a DM next to him because he isn't a very good passer, nor can he dictate the tempo, or excel when he's not scoring goals.

Then, we have Wilshere who seems to have past his prime already. Elneny, by default, becomes our most complete CM - even if he isn't great.

Playing Xhaka and Ramsey in the same midfield isn't a good idea. It's a case of either/or.

And as you can tell, our CMs are lopsided. They have their strengths, but they're incredibly weak in their weak areas. There is no balance.

First of all, we need a DM, that means there is only one spot left if we play 4 backs and LAMO all together. I don't mind give it to Ramsey if the DM is the only midfiled player we will buy this summer. No matter what, Wilshere, Welbeck and Xhaka have to go so we can get some extra fund on top of that 50M.
If Ramsey insists on leaving, that is OK. Sell him for 50M. There are many good B2B options available.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fenice » Thu May 24, 2018 6:07 pm

In what world are we getting 50 mil for a player with injury concerns and a year on his contract?
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Sat May 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Great news for Granit given Emery’s review of the DM position

Let’s talk about the defensive midfielder, an essential element to a team. Why has this position been a weak spot for PSG this season? You have tried playing with Motta, Lo Celso, Rabiot, Verratti, Lassana Diarra…

It depends… I remember when I would analyse Real Madrid, I thought that Xabi Alonso suffered from not having to run track back and that he was the weak link. When I would analysed Barcelona and saw Busquets, I thought that Sergio suffered from the space left behind him. I thought the same with Thiago Motta. All the great defensive midfielders suffer from a lack of space behind them, and when they are required to track back. But when a team has the ball 70% of the time, that is more important than knowing if you’ll struggle when tracking back. You are the one dominating the matches. That’s why your defensive midfielder’s output during moments where you don’t have the ball is less important.

Because those periods don’t last as long. If I were to put a destroyer at defensive midfielder, there’s a significant trade off between what I can do during build-up play, rather than what I can do in defensive situations. Of course, Thiago Motta needs to better without the ball. But if you analyse Xabi Alonso or Sergio Busquets, the same could be said for them. They struggle during those periods, but they contribute so much more while on the ball. I don’t think this position was a weakness for PSG.

Motta is an incredible defensive midfielder. His injuries were the problem this year. Motta brought a lot to the team and his contribution on the ball was significant. He had difficult tracking back? Fine, but so do two other European champions Xabi and Busquets, who possess the same characteristics as Thiago. I don’t think PSG’s problem was the defensive midfielder.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Sims wrote:Great news for Granit given Emery’s review of the DM position

Let’s talk about the defensive midfielder, an essential element to a team. Why has this position been a weak spot for PSG this season? You have tried playing with Motta, Lo Celso, Rabiot, Verratti, Lassana Diarra…

It depends… I remember when I would analyse Real Madrid, I thought that Xabi Alonso suffered from not having to run track back and that he was the weak link. When I would analysed Barcelona and saw Busquets, I thought that Sergio suffered from the space left behind him. I thought the same with Thiago Motta. All the great defensive midfielders suffer from a lack of space behind them, and when they are required to track back. But when a team has the ball 70% of the time, that is more important than knowing if you’ll struggle when tracking back. You are the one dominating the matches. That’s why your defensive midfielder’s output during moments where you don’t have the ball is less important.

Because those periods don’t last as long. If I were to put a destroyer at defensive midfielder, there’s a significant trade off between what I can do during build-up play, rather than what I can do in defensive situations. Of course, Thiago Motta needs to better without the ball. But if you analyse Xabi Alonso or Sergio Busquets, the same could be said for them. They struggle during those periods, but they contribute so much more while on the ball. I don’t think this position was a weakness for PSG.

Motta is an incredible defensive midfielder. His injuries were the problem this year. Motta brought a lot to the team and his contribution on the ball was significant. He had difficult tracking back? Fine, but so do two other European champions Xabi and Busquets, who possess the same characteristics as Thiago. I don’t think PSG’s problem was the defensive midfielder.

His earlier comment about preferring to win 5, 4 than 1, nil. checks out. Won’t be able to get away with that philosophy here though. Not with the current budget. Not with the current personnel. Not with Xhaka
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Sims » Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 pm

get ready for captain granit arsenal's player of the year next season m8sssssss
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Manoban » Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm

As shit as he is, he deserves a chance to prove himself under Emery

It's not like we're getting money for him
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

For every player this will be a fresh start and Xhaka is no different. If he managed to find a higher level under emery it is only going to be great news for us
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Let’s not forget the league we’re in and the constraints Emery will be under. A lot needs to happen, imo, before Xhaka can even be considered good enough
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

PreviousNext

Return to World Football