Willian Borges da Silva (12)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Willian Borges da Silva (12)

Postby Godlop » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Angelito wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Can't wait to watch him three years. Such a bad deal. I would have taken one year of Özil or Mkhi over him

Oh, those good ol' days after Fulham where people thought he was better than Messi.

Some of us warned people here. Chelsea fans told us about him.

But we had to give him a 3-year deal on £120k a week, with some Gooners pretending like he's what we have missed all along. Now, we're stuck with him.

He will have four more of that Fulham-esque performance this season. Usually has 5 world class games a season.

It's 100k a week.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:49 am

Willian shouldn't be starting games. Not seeing anything in terms of work rate or quality that suggest he should be starting.
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby PairyGrows » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:00 am

While it is still early days, Willian hasn't looked good at all. He's a player we're going to pay him £100,000 per week until he's 35, and this is his great audition. I have a feeling we'll regret signing Willian sooner rather than later.
PairyGrows
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 am

It's the type of signing that pisses me off because it looks as though the manager doesn't know what to do with him yet sees him as a starter. Seeing him start as a false 9 was the last thing I was expecting.
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:24 am

Just reading Arseblog. Zero passes made to Aubameyang and just 3 to Pepe. That false 9 role didn't suit him and we've what happens when you don't have someone connecting the dots for the front line attackers.
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Özim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 am

Chelsea fans never really rated him either.
Özim
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:01 am

He's not a bad player by any means. He's just not a world class player. He will have some incredible games here. I'd be fine with him as a backup to Pepe. The worrying bit is how he seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

You can't have players like Xhaka, Willian, Luiz, etc. as bonafide starters and expect big things. That's not how it works.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Özim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:16 am

No agree about Luiz, Xhaka and Willian starting, they seem to be Arteta favourites unfortunately.
Özim
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Özim wrote:Chelsea fans never really rated him either.

I’m sure they were rather glad when he scored twice at home to stoke and once away . Without which they wouldn’t have won games in there title season. Perhaps you keep looking at fellow like minded souls who never have a good word to say about their team?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Willian said he is beginning to get to grips with the demands of his manager but said it has been a steep learning curve.

‘It’s been a cool, new experience. I hadn’t worked with a coach with that mindset,’ Willian told Globo Esporte.

‘The positional game doesn’t mean that you have no freedom on the pitch, you have the freedom to move, but many times you have to respect the position, what the coach asks, the instructions, understanding that it’ll be better for the team.

‘It may happen that you don’t touch the ball and get frustrated, but Mikel always says that, wait a minute, the ball will arrive. I’ve been learning a lot.’
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:42 pm

No wonder we don’t create anything if our creative players are told to be static and wait for the ball to come to them.
alexafc12
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk