Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Postby Sims » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 am

Trumpetemojitrumpetemojitrumpetemoji
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 am

ronniec wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Think you will find the term forward is older than a striker and the 2 are used interchangeably by people. I just Googled it and thats what I found, only one site suggested the 2 roles were different.

A forward is a striker and vice versa.

Striker = forward
Winger = forward
Is a Winger a striker??
Hell no.

Ronaldo says hello .... so does Bale, Robben, Hazard, DiMaria, Ribery .... even fecklin' Walnut calls himself a 'forward' ... since the turn of the century wingers have been replaced by goal scoring forwards .... get with the times ....
EliteKiller
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 am

theHotHead wrote:Think you will find the term forward is older than a striker and the 2 are used interchangeably by people. I just Googled it and thats what I found, only one site suggested the 2 roles were different.

That one site was correct then.

In the days of 4-4-2 for example Man Utd's Dwight Yorke and Cole, they were the only two forwards, so in the days of 4-4-2 the only forwards on the pitch were the strikers hence the term was interchangeable.

But you have to keep up with the times, formations have changed, players roles have changed.

Deep lying play maker was never a thing either, doesn't mean they don't exist now.

A forward player is just an indication of where on the pitch you play (Forward, Wide, Midfield, Centre or Left back), teams now have one striker and so the distinction is more important than ever.

Forward's can play anywhere along the forward line, strikers are specifically box players and goal scorers.
DiamondGooner
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

ronniec wrote:

Striker = forward
Winger = forward
Is a Winger a striker??
Hell no.

A winger is not a forward. For forwards the roles are centre forward, inside forward and wide/outside forwards - who were probably the olden day wingers but that term wasn't around. Wingers as we know them now tend to have a deeper starting point and so I don't think they can be called forwards.
theHotHead
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 am

EliteKiller wrote:
ronniec wrote:

Striker = forward
Winger = forward
Is a Winger a striker??
Hell no.

Ronaldo says hello .... so does Bale, Robben, Hazard, DiMaria, Ribery .... even fecklin' Walnut calls himself a 'forward' ... since the turn of the century wingers have been replaced by goal scoring forwards .... get with the times ....

I just posted my previous reply then saw this :dontknow:

So I give up - its all blurred lines.
theHotHead
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 am

And well played our man by the way, he starts, he scores !!
theHotHead
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 am

Listen, I'm not arguing about forwards. Let's get more specific, as a center forward through the center (OR STRIKER), why would you take Sanchez over Lacazette? He's not that good there, but he amazing cutting in from the right or left.
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

He plays there for Chile and is very good at it. But I would choose Lacazette in that role for Arsenal
theHotHead
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:He plays there for Chile and is very good at it. But I would choose Lacazette in that role for Arsenal

He's played for us there for whole quarter of a season, I think we've seen more than enough of him in that position to judge (not saying he did bad mind you, imo though Lacazette is a better natural striker).

Ramsey plays for Wales as a CAM and is somehow good there but is abysmal for us in that position.

Ozil is like Zidane for Germany but doesn't play that way consistently for us (I'd argue that's down to Germany having better players, manager and a better structure but who's splitting hairs)
DiamondGooner
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby ronniec » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm

If one wants to argue a 4-3-3 winger is a "striker" or "not a forward"... it is okay... no big deal :)
ronniec
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GoonerAlexis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Quality run and assist in that 2nd goal. Absolute beast, caused them so many problems.
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Anyone catch Henry's analysis of our performance? While everyone was praising Ozil and Sanchez, Henry pointed out Lacazette's run in behind, which gave space for Ozil and Sanchez to do their thing. Also pointed out that there were quite a few occasions where better midfielders would have picked out his run in behind, leading to even more chances. Very interesting, and showed how a mobile forward can be effective
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13

Postby ChrisSuperG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

What a wonderful sight Lacazette in an Arsenal shirt is. Them runs in behind, that movement, that skill on the ball. Man is lethal.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Neville said: “If those three [Lacazette, Ozil and Sanchez] play at the level that they did against Tottenham, they’re going to win an awful lot of football matches for Arsenal. They will be a huge threat.

Olivier "Set me up 45 times a game if you want a shot on target, because i'm not gona make anything happen myself" Giroud is looking better and better on the bench. Just like it did in his first, second, third, fourth and fifth season. The shit c***. Keep it up voyeur.
ChrisSuperG
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:Anyone catch Henry's analysis of our performance? While everyone was praising Ozil and Sanchez, Henry pointed out Lacazette's run in behind, which gave space for Ozil and Sanchez to do their thing. Also pointed out that there were quite a few occasions where better midfielders would have picked out his run in behind, leading to even more chances. Very interesting, and showed how a mobile forward can be effective

As opposed to an immobile lamppost like Giroud
theHotHead
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk