WENGER OUT

Re: WENGER OUT

Postby MaxwellBrandy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Andrew wrote:Spuds basically threw it away against Gent to focus on the league.
The only reason Mourinho went all out for it is because he had no chance at even reaching top 4.
No top team with a shot at winning the league would make the EL an objective. That'd be silly.

Look where it goes Spurs. They finished above us for the first time in 20+ years and we still had a better season than them, in my mind
MaxwellBrandy
Patrick Vieira

Postby Mess » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

My expectations are at such low levels now that this would make me happy:

-Finishing less than 10pts behind 1st place

-Not losing by a margin of 4-5 goals

-Flexible in game tactics (including not waiting at the god damn 70th minutes to make subs)

-Benching non performing players

I'm not even thinking about trophies or title. With this team, i'll take it with baby steps, that's what we're down to. Anything extra will be a bonus that I will cherish.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:06 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
The only reason Mourinho went all out for it is because he had no chance at even reaching top 4.
No top team with a shot at winning the league would make the EL an objective. That'd be silly.

So as the last decade indicates we have no real 'shot' at the league, should we make the EL our objective?

Elite Killer - he is like that guy in the Monty Python film that wants to fight even though he has no legs, no arms or anything, he refuses to give in. You can hit him with all the common sense in the world - he won't see it.

Wenger himself said the last squad was the BEST SQUAD he has ever had, better than the Invincibles - and we finished miles behind Chelsea. So, like you say, it is clear we have no chance at winning the league, lets go for something we can actually win.

FFS, we had our best chance 2 seasons ago when recent league winners like Man City, Man U and Chelsea were all off form - and we still couldn't win. Now Spurs have emerged as a genuine force and Liverpool are coming back to a decent level, Everton will be spending trying to crash the top 4 party, how much chance will Arsenal have with a manager that refuses to see faults with the team and address them ? :BangHead:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

So as the last decade indicates we have no real 'shot' at the league, should we make the EL our objective?

Elite Killer - he is like that guy in the Monty Python film that wants to fight even though he has no legs, no arms or anything, he refuses to give in. You can hit him with all the common sense in the world - he won't see it.

Wenger himself said the last squad was the BEST SQUAD he has ever had, better than the Invincibles - and we finished miles behind Chelsea. So, like you say, it is clear we have no chance at winning the league, lets go for something we can actually win.

FFS, we had our best chance 2 seasons ago when recent league winners like Man City, Man U and Chelsea were all off form - and we still couldn't win. Now Spurs have emerged as a genuine force and Liverpool are coming back to a decent level, Everton will be spending trying to crash the top 4 party, how much chance will Arsenal have with a manager that refuses to see faults with the team and address them ? :BangHead:

someone change this Outer's diaper please.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Mess » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm

What's your outlook for the upcoming season Arsene Nose? League finish? Cup finish (League cup, FA cup and Europa)?
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Mess wrote:What's your outlook for the upcoming season Arsene Nose? League finish? Cup finish (League cup, FA cup and Europa)?

The poverty double: cup and europe.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Mess » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
Mess wrote:What's your outlook for the upcoming season Arsene Nose? League finish? Cup finish (League cup, FA cup and Europa)?

The poverty double: cup and europe.

Quite possible indeed!
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby fredd1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Andrew wrote:
fredd1 wrote:You would rather come second than win a trophy.You must be Wengers grandson.What a ridiculous thing to say.I'd take trophies any day of the week over that.

Would you take winning the community Shield or Capital one cup over coming 2nd and mounting a title challenge?? Those are trophies too.

I don't value the EL as much as you do. That's my point.

Try taking a survey of league managers and club directors about what they'd prefer. You'd be surprised to see that most agree with me.

Yes I would rather have the capital one cup than second place.At least it's a cup and not a make believe 2nd 3rd and 4th place imaginary cup.So if you walked into the Emirates and saw the cups lined up you'd walk straight past them to a little table where there's bits of paper saying we came 4th and another one we came 2nd then another one we came 4th bet you'd have your picture taken with them while I'm having mine taken with the real cups
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Fine.
Let's go all out for the Singapore select trophy and throw the league.

Trophies matter :P
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Brainwashed.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby fredd1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Fine.

Yes they do if it's the fa champions Europa or league cup matter.I never mentioned the community cos it's a warm up for the season.As for you mentioning the Singapore one well you're beginning to make yourself look silly now
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 pm

fredd1 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
fredd1 wrote:You would rather come second than win a trophy.You must be Wengers grandson.What a ridiculous thing to say.I'd take trophies any day of the week over that.

Would you take winning the community Shield or Capital one cup over coming 2nd and mounting a title challenge?? Those are trophies too.

Try taking a survey of league managers and club directors about what they'd prefer. You'd be surprised to see that most agree with me.

Yes I would rather have the capital one cup than second place.At least it's a cup and not a make believe 2nd 3rd and 4th place imaginary cup.So if you walked into the Emirates and saw the cups lined up you'd walk straight past them to a little table where there's bits of paper saying we came 4th and another one we came 2nd then another one we came 4th bet you'd have your picture taken with them while I'm having mine taken with the real cups

It's a pointless comparison though once you KNOW that 2nd is the result then obviously you'd rather have the worst of 4 possible trophies.

However, if u don't know that 2nd is the final spot and you have that hope of the title all season because you're PROPERLY challenging then I'm sure most would take that over a league cup win.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 pm

The most important competition for any club is the league, by far.
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Andrew wrote:The most important competition for any club is the league, by far.

There's a difference between coming in 2nd 18 points behind and being beaten by 1-3 points. I get what you're saying, but
Mesüt wrote:
fredd1 wrote:
Andrew wrote:

It's a pointless comparison though once you KNOW that 2nd is the result then obviously you'd rather have the worst of 4 possible trophies.

However, if u don't know that 2nd is the final spot and you have that hope of the title all season because you're PROPERLY challenging then I'm sure most would take that over a league cup win.

+1
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 pm

fredd1 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Fine.

Yes they do if it's the fa champions Europa or league cup matter.I never mentioned the community cos it's a warm up for the season.As for you mentioning the Singapore one well you're beginning to make yourself look silly now

I'm just following your logic.
If any trophy is better than a very good league position than we should be competing for even the silliest ones out there.

I'm pretty sure Birmingham would have traded that carling cup they won against us for even a 10th place in the league.
They are irrelevant now.
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts