Andries Jonker take over Arsenal Academy

Post any news and talk about Arsenal's next generation.

Andries Jonker take over Arsenal Academy

Postby Schlandi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 pm

From Arsenal.com

Arsenal have appointed Dutch youth development expert Andries Jonker as the new head of the Club’s Academy.

Jonker, 51, is currently the Assistant Manager at Bundesliga team VFL Wolfsburg and will join Arsenal on July 1, 2014. He previously spent seven years developing and implementing youth coaching reforms for the KNVB (Dutch FA), in Haarlem and Amsterdam, and two seasons working as a senior coach in the youth setup of the Dutch Federation. This included managing the U15 and U21 national teams.

Jonker also served as Technical Manager for the KNVB for six months before becoming Assistant Coach to Louis van Gaal at FC Barcelona and FC Bayern Munich where he later had a spell as interim Head Coach. He was appointed Assistant Manager at VFL Wolfsburg in 2012.

Jonker’s appointment follows Liam Brady’s decision to leave his role as Head of Youth Development and the Academy. Brady, 57, will work with Jonker to ensure a smooth transition and continue his association with Arsenal as a Club Ambassador. Brady is already an Ambassador for the Arsenal Foundation.

Arsenal Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis said: “Youth development is a key part of our philosophy at Arsenal and I am delighted that Andries is joining us. He has an outstanding track record in developing and identifying young players and creating systems to bring the best out of them. I know he will build on the tremendous work which has been done by Liam and his team over many years.”

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger added: “I am very pleased that Andries is joining us. He has a big reputation in the game and was a key part of the team which developed the structures which are now producing such strong young players in Holland. I look forward to working with him. I would also like to thank Liam for his work which has been outstanding over many years.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andries_Jonker

Good move !

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: Andries Jonker take over Arsenal Academy

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Good signing imo. If theres one thing the Dutch know, its how to provide an excellent footballing education to youngsters, in order for them to firstly understand the game from all positions and how their position affects others around them.

The FA would have done well signing this guy to turn around English grass roots football, good that we stole in and nabbed him.

Looking forward to see what he does. Also, happy that Liam Brady will stay on in some capacity, a true Servant to the Arsenal.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Dutch and Youth Development go together like peas and carrots... or Adams and Bould, whichever you prefer. Good move!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm

"Andries Jonker has received a lot of criticism in the Dutch media. Especially Johan Derksen (Voetbal International) has been very negative about him. Once, he called him 'a complacent brat that I can not take seriously'.
haha
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

he's terrible
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Dejan wrote:he's terrible

Why? Did i speak too soon? :redface:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Dejan wrote:he's terrible

Cause ?
Worked for years with van Gaal and from my point of view van Gaal is one of the best dudes as regards "eye for talent and develop them" so he can't be that bad apart from that I never heard anyone really complain about his work here in Germany.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby srd1886 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Seems like a good signing although I would have prefered bergkamp but this guy will do until bergkamps available.
srd1886
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm

"2 players made the first team under Jonker when he was working with youth in 9 years"

- @AFCAcademy.

Sounds great.

Not.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Sounds like a plonker
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:30 am

Arsenal to lose Terry Burton after overlooking him for academy job

• Arsenal Under-21 manager to leave in the summer
• Burton overlooked as Andries Jonker appointed

Arsène Wenger's decision to bring in a Dutch coach to replace Liam Brady at Arsenal has led to problems with another member of his backroom staff and will prompt a reshuffle behind the scenes at the end of the season.

Terry Burton, Arsenal's Under-21 team manager, has decided to leave in the summer after being overlooked to take over from Brady as the head of Arsenal's academy and youth development setup. Wenger is bringing in Andries Jonker, currently assistant manager at Wolfsburg, and Burton will move on, two years into his second spell on the club's coaching staff.

Burton was appointed in July 2012 after the retirement of Pat Rice, with Steve Bould and Neil Banfield moving up to work for the first-team in the most significant re-organisation of backroom staff since Wenger arrived in 1996. However, the Arsenal manager chose against promoting him into Brady's role, preferring to go abroad to bring in a coach who has previously worked as an assistant to Louis van Gaal at Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Burton, a part of Arsenal's FA Youth Cup-winning team in 1971, helped to bring through Tony Adams, Paul Merson and Martin Keown during his first coaching spell at the club. He has since had a spell as manager at Wimbledon, as well as various coaching roles at Watford, Cardiff City, West Bromwich Albion and Sheffield Wednesday, and he was among a four-man shortlist recently to become the new manager of England's Under-20 team. The Football Association decided instead to give the job to Aidy Boothroyd.

Wenger is preparing for his 1,000th game at Arsenal in their match at Chelsea on Saturday. Arsenal are planning to mark his long-service with a presentation on Friday and the League Managers' Association also intends to honour the Frenchman.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... on-academy
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Never been a massive fan of Burton tbh. I would promote Gatting and bring in someone new to replace his old role.

I think the whole youth set-up needs some fresh faces. Steve Gatting has done really well this season and has adopted a more pressing game without the ball and is playing a combo of zonal and man marking on set-pieces which I am a big fan off.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Youngie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Gives a f**k about Burton

Jonker is the right man for the job imo.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:16 am

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:Sounds like a plonker

At least he's not Janker.....
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:28 am