Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal | Premier League 01/03/14

Re: Stoke City vs Arsenal | Premier League 01/03/14

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:44 pm

Callum wrote:All about the FA Cup now. I'd prefer to win that and finish outside of the top four than finish 3rd/ 4th and not win it.

I wouldn't. We'd lose Özil in the summer and good luck getting a top striker without CL football.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:50 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Callum wrote:All about the FA Cup now. I'd prefer to win that and finish outside of the top four than finish 3rd/ 4th and not win it.

I wouldn't. We'd lose Özil in the summer and good luck getting a top striker without CL football.

No we wouldn't. One season outside of the Champions League wouldn't see him leave, especially when he's been a bit off of the pace. If he was carrying us then perhaps I'd understand.

I don't think Spurs, Everton or United will catch us though so I'm not too worried, but I really want the FA Cup.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Callum wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

No we wouldn't. One season outside of the Champions League wouldn't see him leave, especially when he's been a bit off of the pace. If he was carrying us then perhaps I'd understand.

I don't think Spurs, Everton or United will catch us though so I'm not too worried, but I really want the FA Cup.

I think he would, every WC player would want to play in the best competition in world football. The fact he's been a bit off the pace makes it worse IMO because it might make him want to move even more. Either way the striker point stands.
I want the FA Cup too but it would be one step forward two steps back because we'd be weaker next season.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:

Liverpool dont seem to struggle with getting top strikers. Because they have had managers who have actually bought top strikers.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 pm

UFGN wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

Liverpool dont seem to struggle with getting top strikers. Because they have had managers who have actually bought top strikers.

Suarez and Sturridge weren't top strikers when they first bought them though. If we get out of CL there's no doubt in my mind we'd have Giroud as our striker next season.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:05 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Callum wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

I think he would, every WC player would want to play in the best competition in world football. The fact he's been a bit off the pace makes it worse IMO because it might make him want to move even more. Either way the striker point stands.
I want the FA Cup too but it would be one step forward two steps back because we'd be weaker next season.

If we had bought a striker in Jan or last summer then we might not be in this position now. But you want us to scrape into the CL just so we can go round Wenger's Magical Faileygoround yet again? Whats the point of being in the CL? We play in it but we dont compete in it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:09 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
UFGN wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

Suarez and Sturridge weren't top strikers when they first bought them though. If we get out of CL there's no doubt in my mind we'd have Giroud as our striker next season.

Of course Suarez was. And anyway they still have those players. We would have sold Suarez by now despite actually being in the CL

UFGN

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:09 pm

UFGN wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Callum wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

If we had bought a striker in Jan or last summer then we might not be in this position now. But you want us to scrape into the CL just so we can go round Wenger's Magical Faileygoround yet again? Whats the point of being in the CL? We play in it but we dont compete in it.

I thought I made that clear. To attract better players. Win the FA Cup this season and drop out of top 4 we'd have a weaker team next season and would become even less competitive. Look how many seasons it's taking Liverpool to get strong again.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm

UFGN wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
UFGN wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

Of course Suarez was. And anyway they still have those players. We would have sold Suarez by now despite actually being in the CL

Suarez was good but no way was he a top player, he lacked end product until last season. Maybe but I'd honestly be shocked if we sell our top players ever again.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 pm

^ Sagna is one of our top players - he might be going!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:^ Sagna is one of our top players - he might be going!

We're not selling him though. I thought he hinted he's going to stay anyway? :dontknow:
There's no doubt he would leave if we missed out on CL though.
Last edited by GSK_AFC on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:^ Sagna is one of our top players - he might be going!

True but I think he means losing players like we did with van Persie and Nasri, where we really didn't want to sell, as opposed to losing a player because we're at a stand off in terms of his contract.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Fair enough
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 pm

So we need to be in the CL to attract top players, but we are constantly at risk of dropping out of the CL despite always being in it......

Personally I think the CL has become a bullshit obsession for this club. We kid ourselves that its this great achievement to always be in it, but we don't compete in it and we dont ever have a big enough squad to fight on several fronts.

There is one place in the league. First. Second is the same as 17th.

UFGN

Postby gooney » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 pm

I thought I made that clear. To attract better players. Win the FA Cup this season and drop out of top 4 we'd have a weaker team next season and would become even less competitive. Look how many seasons it's taking Liverpool to get strong again.

For the price we want to do business, I really dont think CL makes any difference. And yes Ozil was one off in a massive panic buy after the worst summer transfer dealings in Wengers time. I thank Villa more than Wenger for the Ozil signing
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14