Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:Whats slightly annoying is the way in which we deal with defeats or setbacks of any kind.

I believe throughout the entire season we have spent three whole gameweeks not on top of the league, and in every one of those weeks it was season defining, season ending and the general board went into a mini crisis, completely ignoring the 20 other weeks we had been top.

Not only are people frustrated with the actual game played(which is understandable as we all are), we have this tendency on projecting a a single loss or draw on the entire establishment, suddenly a bunch of players aren't good enough, suddenly the tactics that have kept up top aren't good enough or Arsene Wenger doesn't have any at all, suddenly the set up have lucked their way to the top of the league, suddenly the greatest record over the past 14 months has been an aberration, and this all happens after one isolated negative fixture without fail.

Started out the season hearing how we couldn't finish in the top four from fans and pundits alike, when we win a bulk of fixtures chirps are largely silenced when we fail to win one it threatens to derail everything we have been building with murmurings of "see i told you they couldnt do it", "Obviously not good enough", "well what do you expect". With none of these applying for any other club in the Premier league when the drop points or fail to put on a positive display

We drew against Southampton yes im dissappointed, lets pack it up, I guess ill see you all in Europa.

Totally oversimplifying the points.

The draw itself isn't the problem, at least it wasn't for me and isn't why I was very annoyed. It is the NATURE of the draw that angered me. We need to learn to kill a game for a short period of time in certain situations. We get pegged back quickly too often.

Also, the difference with those previous results and now is that the team I believe are our main threat (Man City) are playing absolutely mental football. Previously, they were dropping points in games they shouldn't as well...they're not doing that now. Unless they dip before the season ends, we're going to need to be near-perfect ESPECIALLY because I highly doubt we will equal their success vs. the top teams.

I dont think i am, im not talking about solely this game. Im talking about the general way the board goes into meltdown whenever we fail to win. This isnt anything new iv seen it happen since the day i signed up its a recurring trend, fortunately during that space of time we've managed to win an large majority of our games played.

We draw to Soton away and im hearing not only are we out of the title race, but its now a blow to our top 4 ambition aswell. Overreactionn is too weak a word

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Omphi93 wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:Whats slightly annoying is the way in which we deal with defeats or setbacks of any kind.

I believe throughout the entire season we have spent three whole gameweeks not on top of the league, and in every one of those weeks it was season defining, season ending and the general board went into a mini crisis, completely ignoring the 20 other weeks we had been top.

Not only are people frustrated with the actual game played(which is understandable as we all are), we have this tendency on projecting a a single loss or draw on the entire establishment, suddenly a bunch of players aren't good enough, suddenly the tactics that have kept up top aren't good enough or Arsene Wenger doesn't have any at all, suddenly the set up have lucked their way to the top of the league, suddenly the greatest record over the past 14 months has been an aberration, and this all happens after one isolated negative fixture without fail.

Started out the season hearing how we couldn't finish in the top four from fans and pundits alike, when we win a bulk of fixtures chirps are largely silenced when we fail to win one it threatens to derail everything we have been building with murmurings of "see i told you they couldnt do it", "Obviously not good enough", "well what do you expect". With none of these applying for any other club in the Premier league when the drop points or fail to put on a positive display

We drew against Southampton yes im dissappointed, lets pack it up, I guess ill see you all in Europa.

The draw itself isn't the problem, at least it wasn't for me and isn't why I was very annoyed. It is the NATURE of the draw that angered me. We need to learn to kill a game for a short period of time in certain situations. We get pegged back quickly too often.

Also, the difference with those previous results and now is that the team I believe are our main threat (Man City) are playing absolutely mental football. Previously, they were dropping points in games they shouldn't as well...they're not doing that now. Unless they dip before the season ends, we're going to need to be near-perfect ESPECIALLY because I highly doubt we will equal their success vs. the top teams.

I dont think i am, im not talking about solely this game. Im talking about the general way the board goes into meltdown whenever we fail to win. This isnt anything new iv seen it happen since the day i signed up its a recurring trend, fortunately during that space of time we've managed to win an large majority of our games played.

We draw to Soton away and im hearing not only are we out of the title race, but its now a blow to our top 4 ambition aswell. Overreactionn is too weak a word

Hahahahaha... So it's come back to that?

And overreaction? Dude, do you remember two seasons ago when we won the... Oh wait! That was 3... No like 6... Shit, 8 seasons ago... Yes! There is a reason. Reason is too strong a word.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 pm

I think people are being overly harsh on flamini. Yes we should have got a bigger, younger, more intelligent DM in the summer but he has done a very good job since he's come in. One off game and moment of madness doesn't change that!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:I think people are being overly harsh on flamini. Yes we should have got a bigger, younger, more intelligent DM in the summer but he has done a very good job since he's come in. One off game and moment of madness doesn't change that!

+1

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 pm

He's been average since he's came here
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:I think people are being overly harsh on flamini. Yes we should have got a bigger, younger, more intelligent DM in the summer but he has done a very good job since he's come in. One off game and moment of madness doesn't change that!

I think he is average tbh......has done ok. Problem is we compare him to the likes of wilshere and ramsey in how they do in defensive midfield position which makes him look better because they are attacking players. He is not a better player than the likes of mulumo for example
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby AFC10 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Agree.

Games like last night aren't up Flaminis street. It had Wilshere and Rambo as the CM pairing crying all over it but unfortunately that couldn't happen.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Omphi93 wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

Fair enough, I cannot speak for others only for my own reasons for being seriously pissed. The Top 4 ambition being in jeopardy was bullshit, I agree (I said as much in a post).
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Mexal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Agreed. Flamini played very well with Ramsey and balanced out Ramsey's ability to go forward. He has also played well with Wilshere. The problem is when you put Flamini next to Arteta. That's when they look terrible. I think people, as you said, are forgetting what Flamini has done for us earlier in the season and what everyone was saying about him at that point too when playing next to Ramsey.
Mexal
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:13 am

AFC10 wrote:Games like last night aren't up Flaminis street. It had Wilshere and Rambo as the CM pairing crying all over it but unfortunately that couldn't happen.

Christ, no it didn't. Ramsey and Wilshere can never play in the centre together or we will be ripped to shreds. In the rare event that both of them are fit at the same time (ha!) then you either drop Wilshere or move him further up the pitch to accommodate Arteta or Flamini.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Savas2001 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 am

It was Arteta who was slacking hard. Nearly every dangerous run Arteta was behind his mark, the goal was bound to come as soon as the others can't reach in time to eliminate the threat, he should be dealing with.

Second goal, the pass comes in and where is Arteta? He's behind his mark, not even goal side. f**k that.
Savas2001
Patrick Vieira

Postby Callum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:46 am

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:49 am

Callum wrote:Image

Brilliant improvisation. He deserves much more credit for that finish, if that was Podolski people would still be raving about it.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Yago » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 am

Yep, that was beautiful.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm

@ Callum

Giroud scores one goal and you're all over the forum talking about that goal. No disrespect to Giroud, it was a great finish, but that's his job.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14