Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 am

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:What Wenger's done in the past is irrelevant if he isn't still doing it.

This^^^

8 years...no trophies, going to be 9 unless someone else knocks out Chelsea or Citeh for us!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am

I missed the game. And... I check the score... :(

I feel ugh... I don't even feeling anything because this was expected. Wenger hates Podolski. Some of our fans blindly love Flamini for #HardWork #ToughTackling... Yeah. Pathetic tactics and team set up by Arsene.

And we won't just be 1 point behind now--we will be chasing against THIS City squad and Mourinho's Chelsea, with that awful February lurking around.

#LoveYou4thPlace
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Angelito wrote:I missed the game. And... I check the score... :(

I feel ugh... I don't even feeling anything because this was expected. Wenger hates Podolski. Some of our fans blindly love Flamini for #HardWork #ToughTackling... Yeah. Pathetic tactics and team set up by Arsene.

And we won't just be 1 point behind now--we will be chasing against THIS City squad and Mourinho's Chelsea, with that awful February lurking around.

#LoveYou4thPlace

Our fans love Flamini but think someone like Tiote is rubbish. What is the difference except one wearing our colours?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby panickygooner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Zedie wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:
Zedie wrote:Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games.

It was not just one poor game this season and if you look unbiased back we were really lucky in a lot of the matches to win three points and played piss poor a lot of times. There is a really straight forward sentence you often read in german commentary sections about this Arsenal season on several football websites.

Let me try to translate it:
"If Arsenal win the title it's not cause of Wenger it's despite Wenger."

Its funny.

If chelsea close out a 1-0 lead, its all resilient this, battling that.

If man u do it, its all you cant keep them down for long, hard fought win like champions

If city do it, its the stuff of champions in the making

The media dont even like to admit when lpool are out of title races before they have begun.

When arsenal win ugly or defend a lead or battle for a draw, its the beginning of the end EVERY time.

Its a sentiment that flows through a part of the fanbase and infiltrates the media, who then print what they think the masses want to hear.

Those fans pick up on it and then a label is born.

arsenal dont like it up em
Arsenal have a soft centre
Arsenal cant defend
Zonal marking

If you had never watched football but read the sports pages, we would surely be a newcastle or a lpool the way they go on.

im also pretty sure that all of the german experts tip bayern to win the BL every year without fail, although to be fair theyve only had a maximum 50% chance of getting it wrong In recent times.

Like ive said, theres only 1 or 2 pundits that arent jaded by bias and even then no one knows how things will turn out.

im sure there are whole generations of middle aged lpool fans that still cant get over how a CL dominating machine turned into a struggling relic.

I agree.

The whole striker thing also is testament to this, we need a winger more than another striker, our team like Bayern is more about laying chances onto our midfielders than having a striker score all the goals. What we need is some quality pace down the left flank, a gifted left footed player mind you. The media are so good at trolling us though, we aren't in for Draxler but the media have spun so much hyperbole and lies you would think we have already signed him?

The Liverpool bias in the media is truly laughable. They are doing well this year, despite their team still being relatively average bar one world class player upfront. they win 4-0 and all of a sudden they are title contenders again Really with Their average team? They are profiting also for having no European football to distract them, which next season will affect their team.

It will be tough for them next season once Suarez leaves, regardless of if they get top 4 or not, he's off to Madrid, he's not going to wait around in hope Liverpool become a true title chasing side, he wants to play at the highest level.

Liverpool do have more goals in them than us this season and I still feel they are genuine title contenders, but agree with the bias in the media.

Liverpool have been making a resurgence since forever and we've been struggling all this time yet they keep failing to finish above us somehow.
panickygooner
Liam Brady

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Omphi93 wrote:Whats slightly annoying is the way in which we deal with defeats or setbacks of any kind.

I believe throughout the entire season we have spent three whole gameweeks not on top of the league, and in every one of those weeks it was season defining, season ending and the general board went into a mini crisis, completely ignoring the 20 other weeks we had been top.

Not only are people frustrated with the actual game played(which is understandable as we all are), we have this tendency on projecting a a single loss or draw on the entire establishment, suddenly a bunch of players aren't good enough, suddenly the tactics that have kept up top aren't good enough or Arsene Wenger doesn't have any at all, suddenly the set up have lucked their way to the top of the league, suddenly the greatest record over the past 14 months has been an aberration, and this all happens after one isolated negative fixture without fail.

Started out the season hearing how we couldn't finish in the top four from fans and pundits alike, when we win a bulk of fixtures chirps are largely silenced when we fail to win one it threatens to derail everything we have been building with murmurings of "see i told you they couldnt do it", "Obviously not good enough", "well what do you expect". With none of these applying for any other club in the Premier league when the drop points or fail to put on a positive display

We drew against Southampton yes im dissappointed, lets pack it up, I guess ill see you all in Europa.

Totally oversimplifying the points.

The draw itself isn't the problem, at least it wasn't for me and isn't why I was very annoyed. It is the NATURE of the draw that angered me. We need to learn to kill a game for a short period of time in certain situations. We get pegged back quickly too often.

Also, the difference with those previous results and now is that the team I believe are our main threat (Man City) are playing absolutely mental football. Previously, they were dropping points in games they shouldn't as well...they're not doing that now. Unless they dip before the season ends, we're going to need to be near-perfect ESPECIALLY because I highly doubt we will equal their success vs. the top teams.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Zedie wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:
Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please

Not lucked. But he has had kind fixture list in that our big games has been lumped together and we are about to enter them. Also he had an advantage early on as Chelsea, and city both started with a new manager and staff taking over the team which explains their not so great starts and why they are in full flow now. There is a reason even before tonights game we were 3rd favourite to win the league and why every pundit think its between those 2 clubs. Deep down I think you know as well we are short, but want to use us leading the league as an excuse for not strengthening while the window is open. Worst part is we have been here in 2008. And if we havent learned our lesson from that, then we deserve to suffer again

Also, you seem to keep talking about signings we need, but im sorry, Volland, Berbatov, Jelavic wouldn't have done f**k all about today. The whole team didn't turn up, just like City didn't turn up when they came here, or many other teams they have taken points from at home.

Zedie, the significant of a signing isn't necessarily in this game but in games to come. The problem is that with our striking situation as it is I cannot see us getting a pts haul vs. rivals so we either need to try to address that OR somehow be a margin better against the teams below.

Currently, with City just going apeshit, it doesn't look like better form vs. bottom 14-15 teams is going to be viable so we need to do something to try to strengthen the team for those crunch matches.

Strikers are golden in those games because alot of the time the margins are so slight that the difference between a player who takes an awkward chance and one that fluffs it will win you 6-pointers.

I know!

My point is:

Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.

Regarding signings - a striker would no doubt help our cause going forward, you'd be crazy not to think that, but any old striker isn't the answer. People have come up with Volland, Berba, Jelavic, Lambert etc as viable options.

Costa is either not leaving this window, or if the Chelsea rumours are true, be part of a p/x deal with Courtois (?), something we cant compete with, unless his release clause is active right now when its been widely reported as not.

Martinez - Honestly, hes an orthodox target man, who has found form. He's essentially Giroud, but for 40m and can score goals in Portugal. Everyone assumes that he will arrive, score 30 goals in 16 games and we get the parade, but we could easily be stuck with an overpriced dud a la Torres etc.

We don't need players like Volland, Berba, Jelavic, Lambert clogging up the wage bill for the summer, when some of these top tier strikers are actually available.

I'm one of the few that thinks Benteke could grow at Arsenal, most people think hes shit. People are saying Sturridge, but if we had got him, AW would have got roasted on here, blatantly.

Queue PG repeating 'wait until' but he knows that Berba isn't really going to be the same Berba that was at the scum or Man U. He's going to be that guy that has managed 2 goals from open play this season.

Draxler would defo be better than nothing, but even then, he wouldn't solve our striker issue.

Im simply asking who people would seriously consider signing right now, because most of the time, its more moaning about Wenger than actually stating anyone decent or admitting to themselves who is actually available and not a waste of money.

Hmmm...

Well firstly I think we should just get this Draxler deal done now. I've seen alot of reports about us (once again) pissing about with haggling etc. we just need to get serious. I had a huge debate about this with a friend last night (I was really pissed off haha) and basically it comes down to priorities.

I don't think Draxler is worth 37m...there's no way in hell a 20-year promising player is worth only 5.5m less than Oezil. However, player prices are inflated, there's absolutely nothing we can do to change that so what's more important? Getting the players you need to have a realistic chance at footballing success or doing a good financial deal? If you want to win anything, the footballing reasons need to be the higher priority, and thus we just need to get the cheque book out and seal this.

Secondly, on tactics.

I don't think Wenger is a shit tactician, I think that's overkill. I do however agree he is a bit limited sometimes. In fact, unless he's lying, his words illustrate this. Whenever he is asked how he will prepare for a big game and whether he thinks about the opposition etc. he just says he'll focus on our game only. That right there, in a nutshell, is limited tactical prowess/attitude. You should always adapt somewhat to the team you play ESPECIALLY in big games. This may include personel or more subtle aspects. You should always be scoping the opposition out for weaknesses, particular positions in their team you think you can exploit etc.

This is what Mourinho is king at. Rarely does his team play the same way twice. He adapts his team for a huge number of matches, even games against supposed "weaker" opposition. He's also had our number for so long because he knows precisely how we play and how to counter it, and we have for years naively continued to play the exact same way just walking straight into that trap. The same happened vs. Ferguson's United. For awhile we had fairly good success vs. United but Ferguson learnt how to play us. He accepted we'd usually have the lion share of possession but setup to make it irrelevant.

In short, we're easy to read because we don't adapt our tactics when/if a team has learnt to counter us, we just walk straight into their hands. This is why we're generally crap in big games IMO.
Last edited by Myrmedus on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Flamini was diabolical. I love his commitment & desire but he really isn't that good. Thought Oli G had a decent game with a tidy finish, he worked f***ing hard to try and make something happen and his power paid off once again. Özil's second half performance was a joy to behold, it's a shame only him, Kos & Mert were the only ones to really show up.

But f***ing hell, Koscielny needs to be in the FIFA TOTY next season at this rate, the guy is absolutely phenomenal.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Sims wrote:Flamini was diabolical. I love his commitment & desire but he really isn't that good. Thought Oli G had a decent game with a tidy finish, he worked f***ing hard to try and make something happen and his power paid off once again. Özil's second half performance was a joy to behold, it's a shame only him, Kos & Mert were the only ones to really show up.

But f***ing hell, Koscielny needs to be in the FIFA TOTY next season at this rate, the guy is absolutely phenomenal.

Yep. The fact we conceded a goal minutes after going 2-1 up with 2 DMs just speaks volumes for their performances IMO.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 pm

But he's the FLAMSTER: HardTacking, WorkRate, MOPPing Expert, Arsenal DNA, LEADER of men, MOTIVATOR, MACHINE... FLAMINI...
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
Sims wrote:Flamini was diabolical. I love his commitment & desire but he really isn't that good. Thought Oli G had a decent game with a tidy finish, he worked f***ing hard to try and make something happen and his power paid off once again. Özil's second half performance was a joy to behold, it's a shame only him, Kos & Mert were the only ones to really show up.

Yep. The fact we conceded a goal minutes after going 2-1 up with 2 DMs just speaks volumes for their performances IMO.

TBF to them it was more because of Per&Sagna but both of them were shocking.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Schlandi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 pm

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm

we need to address our weakness in the centre of midfield. Its getting beyond a joke now, flamini and arteta are both decent backups but i dont think either are good enough to start, if we had at least one decent mobile and disciplined cm in that game southampton wouldnt have been so good.

I also thought monreal should stop playing against good teams, he really cannot defend as well as gibbs, gibbs is the better lb in my opinion monreal is just a bit more refined in certain offensive situations.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Gunpowder wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

TBF to them it was more because of Per&Sagna but both of them were shocking.

lallana was artetas man, arteta didnt track him it was his fault
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:20 pm

The one thing that annoyed me most about last night's match:

We turned on the style for 7 minutes, completely dominated and turned a deficit into a lead without even going past 2nd gear.

FFS.

It has been a testament to our play this season to drop off after our second goal and last night we payed for it. This squad has the ability to rollover teams. We proved it when we managed 3 at the Etihad (the most out of all the teams not so?). Our mentality is lacking. We shouldn't have to even worry about City and Chelsea. We have the best defence in the league. The only problem is our reluctance to go out and actually attack. Otherwise I honestly think we would outscore City this season.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Pudpop wrote:The one thing that annoyed me most about last night's match:

We turned on the style for 7 minutes, completely dominated and turned a deficit into a lead without even going past 2nd gear.

FFS.

It has been a testament to our play this season to drop off after our second goal and last night we payed for it. This squad has the ability to rollover teams. We proved it when we managed 3 at the Etihad (the most out of all the teams not so?). Our mentality is lacking. We shouldn't have to even worry about City and Chelsea. We have the best defence in the league. The only problem is our reluctance to go out and actually attack. Otherwise I honestly think we would outscore City this season.

the way we play we have to play extremely well to score goals and probe alot to make opening mainly because giroud isnt great off the ball and our wingers arent really counter attacking threats. Out of all our attacking players ozil is the only one who looks to make runs into spaces even after he has just passed, everyone else just looks to get the ball into feet. When ramsey was playing he made late runs which helped us alot but looking at the goals we have scored recently it's painfully obvious that out tempo at times is laboured and that we can only score good goals.

Look at santis goals recently all fromwell worked goals.

We really needed to play podolski
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14