Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Massa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Mesüt wrote:Also, i'd absolutely have Luke Shaw over either of our left-backs.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Re: Southampton vs Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby GSK_AFC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

lexalove wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:f**k THIS. f**k THIS.

I'm seriously f***ked OFF.

Ok:

We play S'hampton. We need to win. Why the f**k do we set up with a negative central MF?

We play Man City. We don't need to win. We know they're mental at home. We play pretty f***ing open - wat?

What the hell was up with the team and sub selections? What is this?

This for me is potentially a turning point. It's not that this game alone means "omfg we lose" but rather what it symbolises. This is a game, given the stakes and events within the game, that I feel a title winner wins. At 2-1, that game should've been chopped down totally for 5-10 mins. Any S'hampton player a threat? Crop. Anyone get past you? Chop down.

You do NOT go 2-1 up totally against the run of play within 5 mins of the first half starting and then allow the opposition to equalise immediately. You simply don't. You kill the game off in any way for the next 10 mins, totally taking the momentum out of it.

Prediction? City top tomorrow and if so I think you're looking at 2013/2014 champions.

I've said for a long time when it comes to tactics Wenger doesn't have a clue.

Substitutions aside he is one of the best IMO.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Luke Shaw is good, people are overhyping him to the max i say.

People forget these youngsters go through this honeymoon period where all their mistakes are ignored, right until they get a bit older and are expected to play perfectly every week.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm

elkanofan wrote:Luke Shaw is good, people are overhyping him to the max i say.

There is bound to be some over-hyping but he has been consistently good mate. He can defend, has blistering pace and has very good delivery/decision making in the final third.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Sorry guys but Arsenal is not winning the title again this year.

This club will be perpetual Top 4 finisher as long as Wenger is here. He is a terrible tactician. I am not sure if he is going senile.

He is always going to be out classed by Mourniho. Always has, always will.

Manchester City has too much talent and $$.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zedie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 pm

so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please
Last edited by Zedie on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Zedie wrote:so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please

Not lucked. But he has had kind fixture list in that our big games has been lumped together and we are about to enter them. Also he had an advantage early on as Chelsea, and city both started with a new manager and staff taking over the team which explains their not so great starts and why they are in full flow now. There is a reason even before tonights game we were 3rd favourite to win the league and why every pundit think its between those 2 clubs. Deep down I think you know as well we are short, but want to use us leading the league as an excuse for not strengthening while the window is open. Worst part is we have been here in 2008. And if we havent learned our lesson from that, then we deserve to suffer again
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Youngie wrote:Always hated you, you feeble minded ****. :Peace:

That's because you cant handle the truth.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zedie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 pm

gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please

Not lucked. But he has had kind fixture list in that our big games has been lumped together and we are about to enter them. Also he had an advantage early on as Chelsea, and city both started with a new manager and staff taking over the team which explains their not so great starts and why they are in full flow now. There is a reason even before tonights game we were 3rd favourite to win the league and why every pundit think its between those 2 clubs. Deep down I think you know as well we are short, but want to use us leading the league as an excuse for not strengthening while the window is open. Worst part is we have been here in 2008. And if we havent learned our lesson from that, then we deserve to suffer again

So despite playing 22 games in the PL and coming out on top, especially after the horrendous injuries weve had, it was the fixture list that got us where we are not AWs tactics?

Cool.

Whether or not we are short isn't being debated, its this massive wave of people on here that claim the man has no tactical ability, while ignoring where we are after 22 games.

I know you are overly pessimistic about every aspect of the club, but even you can admit that this is a bit of a stretch? Or are you going to stick with the fixture list as an explanation?

Also, you seem to keep talking about signings we need, but im sorry, Volland, Berbatov, Jelavic wouldn't have done f**k all about today. The whole team didn't turn up, just like City didn't turn up when they came here, or many other teams they have taken points from at home.

Lpool dropped points at home. City will drop points, Chelsea will drop points.

a draw doesn't make a collapse, no matter how much you seem to expect it. People lose their shit on here too easily.

Also, what the hell do these pundits know? In their and your world, Newcastle and the scum have overtaken us on quite a few seasons now. :rofll:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm

gooney wrote:

This.

I also want to add that early on the team was high on spirits because of ozil aquisition and Ramsey's out of this world performance.

This team lacks a consistent scoring threat. Ramsey's form early on in the season covered that up. Since Ramsey's drop in form before his injury and now in light of his extended absence, coupled with Podolski getting limited minutes despite being the best threat in front of goal, this team is getting exposed.

No Ramsey + No striker (threat) = Bad spells like we watched in the match today.

To make matters worse, Chelsea is has improved since the beginning of the season. We still have to play them at their place and Wenger has NEVER won against Mourinho.

Man City will always score a ton of goals and unlike Liverpool they have a midfield that rivals ours. Any logical person will give them the advantage given our team's lack of a striker. They will score plenty of goals. While we will have more spells where we struggle to get a shot on goal. Law of averages is on Man City side.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Wenger has 1 tactic only, it works most of the time because we play against weaker teams but he is a far cry from a tactical genius. Just because we're top doesn't mean his tactics are any good, look at his team selection tonight playing two cdm's, that's his attempt at a 'solid defensive tactic' and it flopped.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Mike Dean wrote:
gooney wrote:

This.

I also want to add that early on the team was high on spirits because of ozil aquisition and Ramsey's out of this world performance.

This team lacks a consistent scoring threat. Ramsey's form early on in the season covered that up. Since Ramsey's drop in form before his injury and now in light of his extended absence, coupled with Podolski getting limited minutes despite being the best threat in front of goal, this team is getting exposed.

No Ramsey + No striker (threat) = Bad spells like we watched in the match today.

To make matters worse, Chelsea is has improved since the beginning of the season. We still have to play them at their place and Wenger has NEVER won against Mourinho.

Man City will always score a ton of goals and unlike Liverpool they have a midfield that rivals ours. Any logical person will give them the advantage given our team's lack of a striker. They will score plenty of goals. While we will have more spells where we struggle to get a shot on goal. Law of averages is on Man City side.

All the signs are there and I know everyone can see. But I feel the people arguing against it are dishonest. They know by the time we fall short the window will be closed and they will say just get behind the team now, we have the players we have. Then summer comes and the club is slow again and they will say be patient the window is still open. When we dont buy what we need and the window is closed they will say give the team a chance before you moan. Its a vicious circle we live in. And worst of all the man responsible for it got a new contract
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Mesüt wrote:Wenger has 1 tactic only, it works most of the time because we play against weaker teams but he is a far cry from a tactical genius. Just because we're top doesn't mean his tactics are any good, look at his team selection tonight playing two cdm's, that's his attempt at a 'solid defensive tactic' and it flopped.

It flopped today, but how can you tar a whole season with one mistake? Also, im not even sure why people are pretending that Flamini/Arteta was the route of all issues today. THE WHOLE TEAM PLAYED SHIT and you know it.

That first half team performance was woeful. Yes Arteta Flamini didn't work, but im sorry, if anyone thinks it was just them giving balls away, not closing down, letting runners past, not hitting passes etc. I give up.

Theres a reason why Giroud hardly got a kick first half, its because we couldn't string 2 passes to get past the halfway line.

Also, a tactic does not equal a formation. We have 1 formation, but we use many different tactics. We got everything wrong for too long this game and the red card f***ing killed any chance of late pressure, so we lost 2 points.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 pm

gooney wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
gooney wrote:

This.

All the signs are there and I know everyone can see. But I feel the people arguing against it are dishonest. They know by the time we fall short the window will be closed and they will say just get behind the team now, we have the players we have. Then summer comes and the club is slow again and they will say be patient the window is still open. When we dont buy what we need and the window is closed they will say give the team a chance before you moan. Its a vicious circle we live in. And worst of all the man responsible for it got a new contract

Who would you sign right now if you were in the hot seat?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:

Also, you seem to keep talking about signings we need, but im sorry, Volland, Berbatov, Jelavic wouldn't have done f**k all about today. The whole team didn't turn up, just like City didn't turn up when they came here, or many other teams they have taken points from at home.

Zedie, the significant of a signing isn't necessarily in this game but in games to come. The problem is that with our striking situation as it is I cannot see us getting a pts haul vs. rivals so we either need to try to address that OR somehow be a margin better against the teams below.

Currently, with City just going apeshit, it doesn't look like better form vs. bottom 14-15 teams is going to be viable so we need to do something to try to strengthen the team for those crunch matches.

Strikers are golden in those games because alot of the time the margins are so slight that the difference between a player who takes an awkward chance and one that fluffs it will win you 6-pointers.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14