NFL Thread

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

NFL Thread

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 am

Not watched NFL for about 15 years but going to be trying to watch a lot of it this season. Strangely, the 4 lads at work who like the sport, all like Minnesota Vikings so I'll be following their lead.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: NFL 2013 Season

Postby kronickaos » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Not watched NFL for about 15 years but going to be trying to watch a lot of it this season. Strangely, the 4 lads at work who like the sport, all like Minnesota Vikings so I'll be following their lead.

You should become a Packers fan just to take the piss out of them. Should be another great season, hopefull my 49ers will win it all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Only one of them is really into it properly in an obsessive way. Just hope I find the time to get into it.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm

I think I read somewhere that one big time player is going down for murder? Martinez or summats?

Anyboll*cks, don't watch much NFL (much prefer CFB) but I like to watch RG3, Kaepernick and Luck.

Kron, do you see Lattimore making any impact? His college career was plagued by injury. Despite his obvious talent it's a bit of a punt the 49ers have taken with this choice...
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Not watched NFL for about 15 years but going to be trying to watch a lot of it this season. Strangely, the 4 lads at work who like the sport, all like Minnesota Vikings so I'll be following their lead.

Dont do it man... It would be like watching Premier League for the first time and deciding to support Derby.

Also avoid New England thats like supporting United.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Omphi93 wrote:

Dont do it man... It would be like watching Premier League for the first time and deciding to support Derby.

Also avoid New England thats like supporting United.

I don't mind if they're not good mate. Wouldn't of been a city fan if it was about being good for all those years!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Let's go Rams, should be a good season, our division is going to be tough.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

My prediction... My Browns are going to suck again.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Leody wrote:My prediction... My Browns are going to suck again.

Usually a safe bet. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 pm

What a load of s***. The NFL would never have to pay $765m if they were not culpable for the numerous injuries. What good will it do if they end up not having to admit liability nor that the injuries were caused by football? Why pay so much money then?

I am sure no one is calling for the sport to be scrapped but if there is a fault and a danger then they should admit it and get a dialogue going from there.

What do you think NFL fans?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kronickaos » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:What a load of s***. The NFL would never have to pay $765m if they were not culpable for the numerous injuries. What good will it do if they end up not having to admit liability nor that the injuries were caused by football? Why pay so much money then?

I am sure no one is calling for the sport to be scrapped but if there is a fault and a danger then they should admit it and get a dialogue going from there.

The players know the risks involved. I had a few concussions and stingers in my days playing football but I just accepted it as part of the game. If the league keeps adding rules to protect players heads it's going to get to the point where it becomes the Nation Two Hand Touch League and that's not going to be good for anyone.

Maybe if they went back to the old school padding and leather helmets, players would think twice before going head first into tackles. :dontknow:
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Leody » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Leody wrote:My prediction... My Browns are going to suck again.

Usually a safe bet. ;)

And we're going to suck again...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:55 pm

kronickaos wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:What a load of s***. The NFL would never have to pay $765m if they were not culpable for the numerous injuries. What good will it do if they end up not having to admit liability nor that the injuries were caused by football? Why pay so much money then?

The players know the risks involved. I had a few concussions and stingers in my days playing football but I just accepted it as part of the game. If the league keeps adding rules to protect players heads it's going to get to the point where it becomes the Nation Two Hand Touch League and that's not going to be good for anyone.

Maybe if they went back to the old school padding and leather helmets, players would think twice before going head first into tackles. :dontknow:

I agree.

The pads have given players a false sense of security. You see big hits all the time in rugby, but they don't get hurt like NFL players...

And on the money topic. Part of the fine is because the NFL brings almost $10b a year. And for years they've been fighting over player pensions and how many of the players from the '90's and earlier didn't get a piece of the huge pie it is today. I have a feeling that struggle played into the settlement quite a bit.

You have to understand, a settlement isn't like a judgement. The NFL agree to pay that amount. They weren't found guilty of anything, they aren't forced to by a judge, they didn't admit and guilt and there hasn't been any evidence presented that show the NFL knew the players would get hurt.

The NFL, which has denied misleading players about the dangers of the game, will not admit any wrongdoing under the agreement, which must be approved by a federal judge.

From this article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08 ... uries?lite

Part of this agreement is the NFL being proactive about trying to make the game safe in the future. They, just like the players at the time, didn't fully understand the risks of head injuries long-term.

And I know this will come as a shock... but the concussion rate for American Football players hardly any higher than soccer players.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby lexalove » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm

^^ I think part of the problem is the helmet and pads are not so much personal protection but acting as a weapon against opposition players. Players go in extra hard because, as Leody says, they have a false sense of security.

Looking forward to see how my Falcons are going to do this year, after a fairly quiet draft I would say.

Also looking forward to seeing a hopefully recovered RG3 in his second season and what Kaepernick can do with a full season at the 49ers.
Let's Make Arsenal Great Again!

#CrookedKroenkeOut - #LyingGazidisOut - #CrazyWengerOut
lexalove
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:06 pm

lexalove wrote:^^ I think part of the problem is the helmet and pads are not so much personal protection but acting as a weapon against opposition players. Players go in extra hard because, as Leody says, they have a false sense of security.

Looking forward to see how my Falcons are going to do this year, after a fairly quiet draft I would say.

Also looking forward to seeing a hopefully recovered RG3 in his second season and what Kaepernick can do with a full season at the 49ers.

This. In rugby, the first thing you are taught is to get your head to the side of the players knees, get the arm around the knee area and close grip.

No matter how big you are, if your knees are touching, your going down. Watching NFL, tackles are more about how huge they are, theres a lot of bravado surrounding destroying the op than stopping the play in the most efficient way possible.

The less pads you wear, the more aware you are of your actions in injury to yourself or your opponent if you get it wrong.

Also, when a scuff kicks off in Rugby, theres non of this helmet tapping people are getting knocked the f**k out, so you better be ready or not get into it. (pisses me off, why bother?). at least Hockey guys know what time it is! (Bob Probert ftw).
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Other Sports