AW: Gerv only lacks goals

Re: AW: Gerv only lacks goals

Postby Zenith » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

SammyGunner11 wrote:From what I can see, Gervinho is the type of player that needs constant encouragement to do well. He feels at home when he's with his Ivorian teammates and he needs that kind of atmosphere when he's with us. You can berate him as much as you like, but you're helping no one IMHO
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Kyle? » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Let's move the team to the ivory coast then. It would fix numerous issues.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Will he get in to the side straightaway after ACON ?
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Will he get in to the side straightaway after ACON ?

Depends on how well the team is doing.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 pm

A confident Gervinho would be pushing for a starting spot in this team IMHO. He scored goals for Lille. He scores goals with the Ivory Coast. He has shown that he can score and create chances for us. He never stops working which is more than I can say for some of the current crop. Judging by the abuse he gets on here, you would think Santos was a better footballer.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 am

SammyGunner11 wrote:

A confident Gervinho would be pushing for a starting spot in this team IMHO. He scored goals for Lille. He scores goals with the Ivory Coast. He has shown that he can score and create chances for us. He never stops working which is more than I can say for some of the current crop. Judging by the abuse he gets on here, you would think Santos was a better footballer.
Santos is not a better footballer!!

But perhaps Gervinho is not good enough to play at the top level at the moment?

Lille - French league - not top level (when was the last French EC/CL Finalist/winner?)

Ivory Coast - African Nations Cup - not top level. (How many ANC teams have got to Semi Finals of the W/C since 2000?)

Gerv needs to raise his level of performance when playing in England. In general defenders in the EPL are quicker, more tactically aware and more "robust" than either of the two other competitions.

He works hard, i'm sure he does, but is it work which has an output? I don't think so.

IMO he needs to get his head up more, to see where teammates are, he needs to pay attention when NOT in possesion to get into scoring positions, needs to hit the ball on target more often, and get a bit stronger to hold of opponents and win tackles.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
SammyGunner11 wrote:

Santos is not a better footballer!!

But perhaps Gervinho is not good enough to play at the top level at the moment?

Lille - French league - not top level (when was the last French EC/CL Finalist/winner?)

Ivory Coast - African Nations Cup - not top level. (How many ANC teams have got to Semi Finals of the W/C since 2000?)

Gerv needs to raise his level of performance when playing in England. In general defenders in the EPL are quicker, more tactically aware and more "robust" than either of the two other competitions.

He works hard, i'm sure he does, but is it work which has an output? I don't think so.

IMO he needs to get his head up more, to see where teammates are, he needs to pay attention when NOT in possesion to get into scoring positions, needs to hit the ball on target more often, and get a bit stronger to hold of opponents and win tackles.

I agree with everything you said. IMO, Gervinho needs a motivator or just simply a natural leader who acknowledges the importance of teamwork and is not afraid to guide his teammates. I'm not talking about leaders who lead by example. Gervinho needs someone who can raise his confidence before games and someone who can point out what he does wrong and tell him what he needs to do to fix it. Our whole team would benefit from a leader like this tbh. From what I can see of our team no one appears to be this leader. Vermaelen and Wilshere maybe close but even they don't come close to the leaders we had when we were successful. You look at Wenger for example. He is always slouching in his bench or complaining. You rarely see him give out instructions during games. When I watch our players on the field, no one takes it upon themselves to organize the team during set pieces. No one takes it upon themselves to do the little things like huddling up pre-game to boost morale. Communication is often times lost between players. We usually just hit and hope during free kicks and corners instead of devising strategies to make sure we don't waste the opportunity that was just presented. What we have is a "you're-a-professional-footballer-figure-it-out" philosophy and that kind of mentality does not work with players like Gervinho IMO.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

greengoonerie wrote:Ivory Coast - African Nations Cup - not top level. (How many ANC teams have got to Semi Finals of the W/C since 2000?)

Slightly disrespectful to African football, its no walk in the park Afcon

Just because teams don't go far in world tournaments doesn't mean they don't have good players, Argentina, England, France,Portugal,Russia, Croatia,Columbia,Ivory Coast,Ghana

Good teams, absolutely shite at cups. Africa is tough lets give it some credit

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 am

Omphi93 wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:Ivory Coast - African Nations Cup - not top level. (How many ANC teams have got to Semi Finals of the W/C since 2000?)

Just because teams don't go far in world tournaments doesn't mean they don't have good players, Argentina, England, France,Portugal,Russia, Croatia,Columbia,Ivory Coast,Ghana

No disrespect intended upon African football, Omphi! I'm just stating the situation along with some relevant facts.

One African Team - Ivory Coast - are in the Top 20 UEFA rankings at present. The rest are European or South American. Algeria are in around the 20s, but only recently.

Nobody cricitised their lack of good players either! I think they had one of the top 3 players in the world last season in Drogba (I know that won't sit easy with many here, but I thought he almost single handedly dragged Chelsea to the CL and is a players who would have been incredible at Arsenal)

African football is nowhere near the level of European Football (or even South American) from a National or Club level, otherwise we would be seeing some success in international/interclub competitions. We're not, despite us being promised it, seeing a "new dawn" when Roger Milla and Cameroon arrived at the WC in the 1980s. I really hope it DOES happen in order to strengthen African footballs ability to negotiate decent contracts for many of their young talented payers.

I re-iterate that Gervinho is currently not good/strong enough to play in the toughest Football league in the world. (I didn't say best, I said toughest!!) - I believe he lacks more than only goals.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:03 am

Omphi93 wrote:

Yeah, and the WC semis are well beyond "top level", that's the absolute elite of world football.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Previous

Return to 27. Gervinho