Park omitted from South Korea's WC qualifiers

Park omitted from South Korea's WC qualifiers

Postby TRA Dial Square » Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

The summer signing failed to clear the air on his decision to defer his military duty and now has missed selection for the Taegeuk Warriors group for the next three matches.

Park Chu-Young has been left out of the 26-man South Korea squad for the upcoming games against Spain, Qatar and Lebanon as his military service saga rolls on.

Korea's Football Association (KFA) had hinted the Arsenal striker would play a part in the opening fourth round of 2014 World Cup qualifiers after a meeting last week, but the saga has taken a new twist.

Park was expected to address the media to explain his decision to defer his compulsory military service after obtaining a 10-year Monaco residency visa, but the 26-year-old was absent upon Thursday's squad announcement and his current whereabouts are not known.

On his decision to overlook Park, Choi Kang-Hee told reporters: "I think he should publicise his thoughts clearly. A national team must take into account not only an individual player's capability but the atmosphere of the whole team."

He added: "What is important is whether a player is willing to sacrifice for the team and whether he has pride in his team."

Meanwhile, Choi has called up a number of Europe-based stars including Koo Ja-Cheol, Son Heung-Min and Ji Dong-Won, who all missed the February World Cup qualifier win over Kuwait.

Celtic's Ki Sung-Yueng has also been named in the squad, while Lee Chung-Yong is overlooked despite making two substitute appearances late in the season with Bolton after recovering from a broken leg.

South Korea are due to face Spain in Switzerland on May 30, before taking on Qatar and Lebanon in World Cup qualifying on June 8 and 13 respectively.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3841/wor ... uth-koreas?
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Park omitted from South Korea's WC qualifiers

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm

This whole situation is just weird, where the f**k has he gone?

This is the weirdest signing we've ever made.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:04 am

He scored for fun at international level, and he's a national hero.

Must be more going on if he's to be dropped as easy as he has been.

... weird is right!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby AFC10 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:15 am

I don't really take much notice when people say Wenger only got him for his reputation over in Japan, would become a great merchandise seller ect so on and so on, all the stories we've beenresting. I honestly think Wenger saw something in him, signed him and has really struggled since. Maybe he's not doing it in training because I remember the first proper game he played against Bolton and I thought he did okay, even scored a nice goal. Was getting a lot of reserve team football come the end of the season and wasn't even really doing it there, I know your suppose to give players a chance but I get the feeling Wenger knew from the get go he was wasn't his time. I'm sure as popular he is back home he'd never bring that much money in considering we played 3 or so million for him.

Apart from that, shame he's ruined his national career!
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 am

Similar flag, but he's Korean not Japanese :lol:

But I do agree on Park's quality. I was convinced Wenger bought him and intended to use him, never thought he'd be another Inamoto.

Park was playing as a consistent striker of a good age, and he came from Wenger's favourite league... you'd at least expect him to be ahead of Chamakh given Chamakh's woeful form!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Return to Park Chu-young