Arshavin is in superb form at Zenit - keep?

Arshavin is in superb form at Zenit - keep?

Postby mg86 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Well written blog post I read as I was curious what the little russian has been up to since he was loaned out. What do you think we should do with him? Personally I'd like him to stay, Ryo is too young, and Arshavin could provide a Benayoun like contribution. On top of that, if we would play him in his natural position as an central attacking forward, we could have another attacking midfielder to rotate.

Arsenal’s Andrei Arshavin is in superb form back at Zenit Posted on May 09, 2012 by admin
The Arshavin Renaissance by Richard Hall

There were only two minutes left when Aleksandr Kerzhakov got the ball on the right hand side, he skilfully flicked the ball over the full back before lobbing the ball into the box with his right foot. As the ball dropped towards the penalty spot it looked as though his pass was in vein. That was until someone with electric pace entered the box and in a flash beat his defender to execute the most spectacular scissor kick. That man was Andrei Arshavin.

Labelled as lazy, disinterested, stubborn and moody, the little Russian was an acquired taste at the Emirates Stadium. Even though he had started his Arsenal career with a bang, this season his performances had even his most staunch supporters scratching their heads. Arsenal’s most expensive signing had promised much since his move from Zenit St Petersburg but before long it became clear to Arsene Wenger and to Arshavin himself that his playing time would be limited. Desperate to play in Euro 2012 the winger decided to return to his former club on loan.

It is here that most expected he would labour on, giving indifferent performances before eventually being bought for a nominal fee. Wenger has said before that the loan was certainly only temporary and a chance for him to regain form. The vocal and complicated Russian has also had things to say about his move and has claimed he ‘will come back’ and on the flip side that ‘Wenger lost faith in me’ whatever the truth he is keeping his options open.

Perhaps the greatest shock for most Arsenal fans will be that Arshavin has grabbed this loan spell with both hands. He has been working with a personal trainer is in free time to get himself in top physical condition and his hard work has paid off. He has played eight times for his home town club scoring twice and the time he has spent on the pitch has been quite simply poetic. His mannerism has changed from a man sat on the floor with his hands in the air, to a quick, energetic player with superb one touch passes and flicks, mixed with deadly runs into space.

In a 2-0 win against CSKA Moscow he came on 53 minutes, immediately he was involved, his one touch passing was superb and on 62 minutes he found space to deliver the perfectly weighted ball into the box to crate the first goal. Had he done that at the Emirates people would still been talking about it. He was continually picking the ball up from deep and starting off the play continuing his runs into the box even if he did not receive the ball back. Two minutes later he rounded three players only to play the ball back with an intelligent pass to start another move, he was even winning headers in the center of midfield. Their was an electric pace to the game and only once did we see the Arshavin of old, sat on the ground with his hands out, however, in fairness he had just tackled a player on the half way line rounded three players showing immense strength before being fouled in the box. To top off this performance came the aforementioned goal, a scissor kick executed with the finesse of a master crafts man, and it is also worth pointing out that this was not a one off performance. On the second of May another outstanding performance saw him score his second goal; a superb side foot shot from 20 yards against Rubin Kazan, Zenit were on their way to the title.

Even though Zenit lost on Sunday they were crowned Champions, Arshavin was talking to Russian Paper ‘Sports Express’ and said that “I haven’t yet thought about (my future). Everything will be decided after the European Championship. Of course, the result and quality of play there could affect my destiny. Without a doubt I can say that the decision to return to Zenit was correct. First of all, I am now playing regularly. Secondly, it’s hometown. Third, Zenit has ensured me of everything so that my thoughts are focused only on football.”

No matter what people think about Arshavin, it is obvious that he is a clever if not complex character and form is more of a mental state than physical for him. He is playing as well as he ever has at the moment, but do Arsenal and Arsene Wenger want him back? In his current mind set it would seem that the only answer is yes, his cutting edge and finesse exuberate Arsenal characteristics right now, however, should he come back and have a bad start, how long will it be before we see the little Russian sat on the edge of the box with his hands in the air?

If you like this please follow Richard on Twitter @Arsenal1886_RH
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Arshavin is in superb form at Zenit - keep?

Postby yosifun » Thu May 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Wenger will prefer Rosicky Wilshere and even Ox and Ramsey over Arshvin at AM.

At the left wing we'll have Podolski and Gervinho, I won't mind Arshavin as 3rd option if we don't keep Benayoun.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 pm

must offload him this summer
he's become pretty much useless for us, and if we don't find a buyer soon I think we'll struggle to make anything at all for him
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Sending Arshavin on loan cos he wasn't in great form for us is acceptable as long as similar standards are applied for everybody. There are many more here at our club who are worse than Arshavin fitness-wise and form-wise like Diaby yet Arshavin was flogged off before them. WTF have Jenkinson, Almunia and Squillaci contributed ? Jenkinson was playing non league not so long ago and was thrust straight inn to the mix why ? Cos Wenger loves to do on the cheap. Almunia and Squillaci were put on such wages that nobody wants to touch them with a barge pole. Diaby.. do not even get me started.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu May 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Get rid. All i will remember him by is the Liverpool performance and thinking he is overpaid. I was so happy when we signed him. I had been impressed with him on the few times i had seen him play. He promised so much and delivered nowt.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trequartista » Thu May 10, 2012 1:23 pm

I still cant believe we never even gave him a litte run playing through the middle. I think he should stay in Zenit now, he's doing well there and his familly are settled. Cheers for the good times though, I literaly hit the roof with my arms when he scored the winner versus Barca :)
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Sending Arshavin on loan cos he wasn't in great form for us is acceptable as long as similar standards are applied for everybody. There are many more here at our club who are worse than Arshavin fitness-wise and form-wise like Diaby yet Arshavin was flogged off before them. WTF have Jenkinson, Almunia and Squillaci contributed ? Jenkinson was playing non league not so long ago and was thrust straight inn to the mix why ? Cos Wenger loves to do on the cheap. Almunia and Squillaci were put on such wages that nobody wants to touch them with a barge pole. Diaby.. do not even get me started.

Jenkinson's been injured and we have no other right backs... we needed him this season
Almunia was on loan at West Ham earlier this season
Diaby's been injured... no one's going to want to loan in a perma-crock
Squillaci was our only defensive sub available for quite a few games, even though he's barely better than nothing
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm

I was made to look like a mug by him. I came on this forum when we signed him saying he was amazing and he would be a great player for us. Turns out hes an unprofessional lazy t**t who picks and chooses when to perform. So no, he can f**k right off.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby mg86 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Still think we should not be selling players with experience and bringing in youngsters to fill our bench. Benayoun has shown what quality can do for your bench and Arshavin is certainly quality. In my opinion we have much more pressing concerns than offloading Arshavin, such as Vela, Bendtner, Squillaci, Almunia, Frimpong, Diaby, Ramsey (loan), Denilson, Chamakh.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Git » Thu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Our most successful games with the current formation are when the whole team press the opposition and work hard for the whole game.

Where does Arshavin fit into that ethos?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby djaxster » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 pm

He's a lazy MoFo and his heart has never been in England/London so of course he will play his lill heart out to stay in Russia.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 10, 2012 2:51 pm

djaxster wrote:He's a lazy MoFo and his heart has never been in England/London so of course he will play his lill heart out to stay in Russia.

+1
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Popey » Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

if we can't keep benayoun then take arshavin back. and if he's still playing shit then just let him stay on the bench.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby djaxster » Thu May 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Popey wrote:if we can't keep benayoun then take arshavin back. and if he's still playing shit then just let him stay on the bench.

But then that a waste as we will still be paying his wages.. Sell him and get someone in who wants to play for us and love living in the greatest city in the world.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 10, 2012 3:14 pm

djaxster wrote:
Popey wrote:if we can't keep benayoun then take arshavin back. and if he's still playing shit then just let him stay on the bench.

But then that a waste as we will still be paying his wages.. Sell him and get someone in who wants to play for us and love living in the greatest city in the world.

Yes, plus, with Ox, Theo, Pold, and Gerv, we don't need anyone else really, unless you want to improve the starting XI more.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to 23. Andrey Arshavin