Very interesting interview with RvP in The Times

Re: Very interesting interview with RvP in The Times

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:I like the bit about him getting to choose an attacking player to try to bring to the club :)

I hate that part, players shouldn't be allowed to do that, that is the manager or the boards job. And if the manager or the board can't choose the right players then we need a new manager or board members.

agree mate but i would go as far as saying it is the managers job only
i believe the manager at arsenal has a rare autonomy in team issues
i like it that way
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Trying to play devil's advocate here, what is wrong in taking RVP's ''opinion'' which i am sure wenger holds in high regard as to the type of player that would be needed to us. It is not an ultimatum right. If taken in the right spirit and as long as the manager takes the final call there is nothing wrong in taking a well weighted opinion from your club captain who loves the club greatly.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Trying to play devil's advocate here, what is wrong in taking RVP's ''opinion'' which i am sure wenger holds in high regard as to the type of player that would be needed to us. It is not an ultimatum right. If taken in the right spirit and as long as the manager takes the final call there is nothing wrong in taking a well weighted opinion from your club captain who loves the club greatly.

yes i go along with that also
robin has picked up a lot of experience in the game and i would be only to pleased to see wenger taking counsel from his captain
starmandb

Postby Zedie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Its not like RvP is going to pick Emile Heskey as the man in the hole.

Ahhhhh, one can only dream.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Zedie wrote:Its not like RvP is going to pick Emile Heskey as the man in the hole.

Ahhhhh, one can only dream.

I'd like Heskey as the man in my hole
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 pm

RvP has now scored against 17 different EPL teams this season.
He's the first player to do it in some 15 years since.....

Ian Wright Wright Wright!!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Trying to play devil's advocate here, what is wrong in taking RVP's ''opinion'' which i am sure wenger holds in high regard as to the type of player that would be needed to us. It is not an ultimatum right. If taken in the right spirit and as long as the manager takes the final call there is nothing wrong in taking a well weighted opinion from your club captain who loves the club greatly.

The problem I see with it, is that it isn't really fair to other players is it, you're putting one of your players on a different level than the others, then why shouldn't any other players have an option to state their opinion as well, just because RvP is a better overall player than most doesn't make his opinion better, it could possibly cause animosity in the locker room too. Plus, like I said already, it shouldn't have gotten to this point to where we need an opinion from one of the players on who to bring in, the manager and the powers at be get paid to make those decisions, not RvP. We should never get to a point to where you have to kiss a players ass a bit in order to get him to stay.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am

ChVint22 wrote:

The problem I see with it, is that it isn't really fair to other players is it, you're putting one of your players on a different level than the others, then why shouldn't any other players have an option to state their opinion as well, just because RvP is a better overall player than most doesn't make his opinion better, it could possibly cause animosity in the locker room too. Plus, like I said already, it shouldn't have gotten to this point to where we need an opinion from one of the players on who to bring in, the manager and the powers at be get paid to make those decisions, not RvP. We should never get to a point to where you have to kiss a players ass a bit in order to get him to stay.

Personally, I don't think this ever happened.
From what I know of AW he is very single-minded and doesn't pay too much attention to the opinions of others when choosing which players to buy.
I'm not saying he pays no attention to his players. We know that they all sit down together and have regular meetings, especially after a defeat.
But I can't see him asking the opinions of players when it comes to purchases, it's just not his style.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Personally, I don't think this ever happened.
From what I know of AW he is very single-minded and doesn't pay too much attention to the opinions of others when choosing which players to buy.
I'm not saying he pays no attention to his players. We know that they all sit down together and have regular meetings, especially after a defeat.
But I can't see him asking the opinions of players when it comes to purchases, it's just not his style.

It probably hasn't, and that would be a good thing, but I fear that AW would if he really thinks that RvP is off. He could feel that pressure after losing Cesc, and Nasri, but lets hope not.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Very interesting interview with RvP in The Times

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

It would make sense, if wenger had 3 or 4 targets that he couldn't decide between to take the list to the captain and ask his opinion. The captain should represent the players in such discussions IMO giving the view of the squad rather than just his own view.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:It would make sense, if wenger had 3 or 4 targets that he couldn't decide between to take the list to the captain and ask his opinion. The captain should represent the players in such discussions IMO giving the view of the squad rather than just his own view.

If it's suppose to be the view of the squad then why not just ask everyone?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dunkdafunk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Whenever you have an appraisal at work, you are asked how you can do your job better. Its only fair that the worker tells the boss his ideas. If that is a new machine to do the job, or just an upgrade on what you already have. If the workers job is being hindered by the failures of his fellow workers then it is only fair that he should say so, and bring his idea of what would improve his performance.

I see no problem with asking one of your workers opinions on how they can do their job properly, or better.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

dunkdafunk wrote:Whenever you have an appraisal at work, you are asked how you can do your job better. Its only fair that the worker tells the boss his ideas. If that is a new machine to do the job, or just an upgrade on what you already have. If the workers job is being hindered by the failures of his fellow workers then it is only fair that he should say so, and bring his idea of what would improve his performance.

I see no problem with asking one of your workers opinions on how they can do their job properly, or better.

Except that work is nothing like professional football and therefore shouldn't be treated the same.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Popey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't want robben. he's past it!

But sounds really strange that he can chose a player.

but I agree about keeping him. if he stays he will be a LEGEND! he has done so much this season and if now he stays and can keep his form... :arsesmile: :cloud9:

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Previous

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie