RVP explains his reaction to the substitution.

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am

Taken from his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RobinvanPersie?sk=wall

I WAS NOT HAVING A GO AT THE BOSS ON SUNDAY

LET me start by putting the record straight.
I was not having a go at the boss on Sunday. I was just sad to see Alex leave the pitch as he just gave the assist for our only goal.

I was not questioning his judgment. I know it's not my place to challenge what Arsene Wenger does. He is the boss, he makes the decisions and that's it, end of story. I have worked with the boss long enough to know there's always a good reason behind his decisions, and there was again on Sunday. When Arsene makes a decision, it is based on a lot of information that everyone else might not know about and he will never betray. I admire him so much for that.

As he said after the game, he doesn't have to explain his substitutions to anyone. He was right to remind everyone that he has been in the job 30 years and made 50,000 substitutions, why on earth should he have to justify each and every one of them?

He has all the information, he knows when a player is carrying a small injury, or has been ill, or is tiring. Arsene's remarkable success in the game is proof enough that his decisions are made from knowledge and experience. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a calf injury. We did not know that but the boss did and brought Andrey Arshavin on.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Arsene Wenger. He is one of the best football coaches in the world, with a brilliant record of success here at Arsenal. I wouldn't be here or the player I am without him. The manager and I are fine and my relationship with the club is good. I don't want anyone misunderstanding the situation here for a moment.There is no problem, there is no conflict and there is no controversy. The boss knows that, I know that, the players all know that. But it's important the Arsenal fans know that and that people in the game know that.

We are all committed to doing the very best we can to bring success to The Emirates. We are not giving up on a top-four finish, no way. Losing to Manchester United was a setback, but it is not a knockout blow. The way this season is going I think it's pretty safe to say there will be a lot more surprises before the Premier League season is over. There's plenty of games still left, we have recovered from reverses like this before and we will win again. So anybody writing us off is making a mistake.This could still be a good season for us. We have the FA Cup to look forward to and the Champions League. We will all be giving 100 per cent to make sure we bring one of those trophies home, hopefully both of them.
Let's all stick together and fight.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: RVP explains his reaction to the substitution.

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah but the funny thing is...

According to Winterburn, AW told him Ox was "Ill prior to the match".

AW told RvP, Ox "had a calf strain".

AW told Press, Ox "Was fatigued".

And according to Ex Saints Captain, Claus Lundekvam... He called Ox after the game and Ox had no clue about any of the three aforementioned "problems".
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 pm

The moot point here is - RVP was left flabbergasted like all of us, when Wenger took AOC off. He admits he was surprised to see one of the best players on the day taken off, while the one , who has been dismal through the match and most of the season was kept on. RVP is a team man and you would expect him to come in support of Wenger but its clear not just according to us but according to RVP as well that bringing OX off was a bad move. One more intriguing point is , how the hell Wenger got to know about Ox's fatigue/cramp when a] Ox on record has said nothing about cramp/fatigue but only that he respects Wenger's decision b] RVP was on the pitch alongside OX and if anybody is the first to notice OX getting fatigued/cramping it is RVP and not Wenger who is on the touch line. Any amount of trying to spin the story is going to cover up for Wenger's diabolical substitution this time.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Not a very Arsenal way of responding. All that does is draw more attention to it. The club definitely feeling the pressure
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Bullshit
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 pm

UFGN wrote:Bullshit
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Dejan wrote:
UFGN wrote:Bullshit

It's not bullshit.
He definitely respects the boss as much as he says. AW made RVP what he is don't forget, and it was also AW who remained loyal to him throughout all his long term injuries when other managers would've just given up e.g. Fergie with Hargreaves.

RVP can't hide the fact that he was disappointed when Ox came off and he doesn't try to deny that in his statement.
All he's saying is that at the time (like us fans) he couldn't understand it but later when the reasons were explained to him he shut the f**k up and moved on. Like everyone else should.

CynicalGooner wrote:Not a very Arsenal way of responding. All that does is draw more attention to it. The club definitely feeling the pressure

Plenty of our players have had to come out and defend themselves over the years. Cesc was in the papers in every transfer window saying that he's not going yet. Bendtner had to explain a few mistranslated interviews, it's normal.
Some players never speak e.g. Gilberto, Vela but other players do and RVP is probably the most vocal player in the squad, and he's the captain so he's supposed to be the spokesperson for the team.

I thought it was interesting what Arseblog had to say about the incident, especially the bit in bold:

http://arseblog.com/2012/01/robins-resp ... -coverage/

Robin’s response to Robin’s reaction + thoughts on coverage

Usually, after a defeat like the one we experienced against United, and one in which the main talking point wasn’t the football itself, there’s a tendency for the club to go into lock-down mode.
Not this time though. We’ve got a reaction from various players to what’s gone on, not least of which is Robin van Persie’s exclusive in The Sun (why there and not the official site?!), in which he sets the record straight about his reaction to the substitution of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. He denies any falling out with Arsene Wenger, saying:

"I was not having a go at the boss on Sunday — I was just sad to see Alex leave the pitch as he just gave the assist for our only goal.
I was not questioning his judgment. I know it’s not my place to challenge what Arsene Wenger does. When Arsene makes a decision, it is based on a lot of information that everyone else might not know about.
There is no problem, there is no conflict and there is no controversy. The boss knows that, I know that, the players all know that."

The world we live in demands controversy, because controversy sells papers, creates clicks and page views and everything else, and such is the speed at which information is taken in, digested, then plopped out to make space for something new that you can, quite literally, write any old crap without having to back it up. There are so many people hungry for news that there are always enough people to believe, thus giving vague credibility to, stuff which is absolute fiction.
The old saying about if you throw enough shit some of it will stick is never more accurate. And the people with the shit on their faces don’t seem to mind too much because it’s not actually real shit. For example – the story that that Robin van Persie handed in a transfer request after the game – nonsense. And bollocks. And nonsensey bollocks. And bollocky nonsense. With a big curly turd sprinkled with hundreds and thousands on top.

It’s not helped when reaction to the game, visceral and all as it was, is driven by the media. It’d be a very interesting experiment to have two groups of people. One who view a game with no Sky/ESPN soundtrack, no pundits pre and post game, and the other saturated by post-match interviews, ‘insight’ and the rest, then ask them questions on how they perceived what they saw. I’m pretty sure there’d be huge differences in the responses.

I mean, isn’t there enough to talk about and discuss from Sunday without having the agenda set by others? Do we really need Gary Neville to speak on behalf of Arsenal fans and validate thoughts many people have already? People talk about him being a good pundit but his stuff about Arshavin, who I fully accept is not doing it for us, not liking ‘our women’ is just mindless beyond belief. Yet folk are happy to pick up that stick and whack the Russian with it as if we don’t have enough sticks of our own. And we have sticks of validity and righteousness, not of great twattishness.

Anyway, Robin’s response is just what you would expect from him. It’s timely, it says all the right things and to be honest I never saw that much wrong with his reaction in the first place. Again the idea that ‘Oh, an open show of dissent from the captain, that’s not good’ is just more fuel for the fire. If the fans in the stadium can react because they didn’t want Oxlade-Chamberlain to come off, why not a player who is directly affected by that change?

It doesn’t mean he hates the manager, it doesn’t mean he hates the club, it doesn’t mean he wants to leave, it doesn’t mean he’s going to gather up all his toys then put them in his pram simply so they he can throw them out in a gesture of grand defiance, it just means he’s a player who is a) in tune with the fans and b) one who is driven to win games. He knew that The Ox’s removal – whatever the reason behind it – made that more difficult. Whether he’s the captain or anyone else is irrelevant in my opinion. This is a classic mountain/molehill territory and does little but obscure the more pressing issues far more worthy of discussion.

And for me the obvious question is: what the f**k are we going to do to get ourselves out of this run of form we’re in? According to Robin van Persie:

"We are all committed to doing the very best we can to bring success to The Emirates. We are not giving up on a top-four finish, no way. We have the FA Cup to look forward to and the Champions League. We will all be giving 100 per cent to make sure we bring one of those trophies home, hopefully both of them.
Let’s all stick together and fight."

While Wojciech Szczesny says:

"I am confident that we will pick ourselves up, will win games and get our position in the Champions League. We’ve been there before and we have reacted very well. I think we’ll do the same thing again and make sure that this club goes in the right direction to finish the season where we should."

And whatever you think about our ability to do that, or the squad’s shortcomings, at least we’re going at it with the right attitude. The reality is there is a lot of football left this season, there is time to turn things around, and there is no choice but to keep going and try and get ourselves back on track. We’ll be aided by the return of some injured players, hopefully sooner rather than later, and it remains to be seen whether or not recent form and our squad deficiencies will spark some transfer activity.

It’s impossible to look at where we are at the moment and not think we need some kind of a lift. Of all the players out only Wilshere and Sagna would really provide that. Get Gibbs and Diaby back and people’s immediate reaction is to open up a book on how long they’ll last before they get crocked again, so maybe the manager and those up above might be more inclined to do some business in January. I wouldn’t hold my breath but I would cross my fingers and hope though.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 pm

If RvP was disappointed and he reacted to it, then that in a way is being upset with the boss. So maybe he isn't upset now after hearing the multiple excuses, but he was when it happened. And we'll get to see how loyal RvP is to Wenger or Arsenal soon enough.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm

But, as I said.

TRA Dial Square wrote:The funny thing is...

According to Winterburn, AW told him Ox was "Ill prior to the match".

AW told RvP, Ox "had a calf strain".

AW told Press, Ox "Was fatigued".

And according to Ex Saints Captain, Claus Lundekvam... He called Ox after the game and Ox had no clue about any of the three aforementioned "problems".

:think:
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 pm

ChVint22 wrote:If RvP was disappointed and he reacted to it, then that in a way is being upset with the boss. So maybe he isn't upset now after hearing the multiple excuses, but he was when it happened. And we'll get to see how loyal RvP is to Wenger or Arsenal soon enough.

Exactly my words
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 pm

However, claims around Oxlade-Chamberlain's substitution have now been clouded by former Southampton captain Lundekvam, who was commentating on the game for Norwegian television station TV2.

The 38-year-old was asked to call the youngster to get an explanation of the incident, and later revealed the details of the conversation.

Lundekvam claims the England under-21 told him he was fully fit, and feeling good, saying: 'He said, first and foremost, that he was super happy with his first match from the start, while he was pleased to have played well.

'I also got confirmation from Alex that he was neither tired or injured.'

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/8 ... ry-reports
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I think the fact AOC told someone he was neither ill, nor injured, nor tired.

And the fact AW Told 3 diff' ppl 3 diff' things...

Kinda says it's bollocks anyway...
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Wenger is lying through his teeth and his players now!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Plenty of our players have had to come out and defend themselves over the years. Cesc was in the papers in every transfer window saying that he's not going yet. Bendtner had to explain a few mistranslated interviews, it's normal.Some players never speak e.g. Gilberto, Vela but other players do and RVP is probably the most vocal player in the squad, and he's the captain so he's supposed to be the spokesperson for the team.

Nah this is different. It's nothing much like when players defend themselves for whatever in the papers
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:30 pm

crap article with big turds and hundreds and thousands on top
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie