RvP closing in on Shearer's record

Re: RvP closing in on Shearer's record

Postby Est83 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm

I was expecting you to come along with the stats after that last post... it was inviting, you just couldn't help yourself! :lol:

4 in 7 is very decent, and given that he's never been in this form in his whole career, and that Everton aren't having the best start to the season, chances of him scoring this time round are very good.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 am

Est83 wrote:
SammyGunner11 wrote:
Massa wrote:FULHAM H
WIGAN A
EVERTON H
M CITY A
A VILLA A
WOLVES H
QPR H

Fixtures for the rest of the year.

I can see RVP scoring in the Fulham, QPR, and possibly the Villa game. I hope I don't jynx anything, but I see RVP getting four more goals max. before the year ends.

Not Wigan and Wolves then? I thought they would be a given. :hiding:

Everton are usually tough to break down but they're not having a good season and I'm sure Robin has a good record against them.

Citeh, obviously no-one's expecting anything there but the man's a big game player and if anyone's gonna score there it'll be him.

I don't know why but I have a feeling that Wigan and Wolves will just park the bus and hit us on the counter. And as we all know, these are the games we struggle with the most.

The Everton, Villa (even the Fulham) games are tossups. So I believe he'll score in at most one (possibly two) of these three games.

In either case, 4 is the max. I see RVP scoring before the year ends. Hope I'm wrong though, as I do want to see RVP surpass Shearer's record.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Est83 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:07 am

I think Wigan are too open and attacking to park the bus against us personally. Wolves aren't the most organised either, plus I think both teams would fancy having ago at us given the reputation of our defence at the moment... plus Wigan really f**king need a win.

Everton, Fulham and Villa certainly are the tricky ones though. All three are more likely to park the bus... can't wait to see Wenger vs Jol again :smile:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 am

Est83 wrote:I think Wigan are too open and attacking to park the bus against us personally. Wolves aren't the most organised either, plus I think both teams would fancy having ago at us given the reputation of our defence at the moment... plus Wigan really f**king need a win.

Everton, Fulham and Villa certainly are the tricky ones though. All three are more likely to park the bus... can't wait to see Wenger vs Jol again :smile:

Definately all the more reason why these games won't be easy. In either case, we need to be cautious against whatever strategy they choose to use against us.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby friedslice » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:05 am

No reason, form permitting, that RVP can't break the record. Note that when Shearer got his record there were 44 games a season as opposed to 38.

How many games did Shearer get his record on? I'm sure it'd be a fair more than RVP, although Shearer was a machine at that stage of his career.

RVP is very much making the most of being the only attacker in our squad of any worth.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:26 am

shearer scored his 36 goals in 42 games
rvp has scored his goals in 29 league games if he plays every game this calender year it will only be 36 games
in those terms even if robin was not to score another goal his achievhments are greater than shearers
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Est83 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am

And if he equals the record it'll be one goal per game over the course of a whole year... amazing!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Git » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 am

Wigan will definitely not park the bus. They don't have the defensive discipline to do so, they never have under Martinez.

I think they must have the worst defending in the league, really, some of their defending is proper schoolboy stuff.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Est83 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Git wrote:Wigan will definitely not park the bus. They don't have the defensive discipline to do so, they never have under Martinez.

I think they must have the worst defending in the league, really, some of their defending is proper schoolboy stuff.

Exactly what I said, it's not like they're trying to keep their league position safe either. They have to go for the win.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby yosifun » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 pm

RvP scored 3 more goals since 20th of November making his 2nd place with Henry!

He need 3 more goals until the end of the month to pass Shearer, we have Wolves and QPR next, I hope for him (and us) he will succeed!
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:10 pm

yosifun wrote:RvP scored 3 more goals since 20th of November making his 2nd place with Henry!

He need 3 more goals until the end of the month to pass Shearer, we have Wolves and QPR next, I hope for him (and us) he will succeed!

Agree he will definately have chances,would be good to see Gervinho and Walcott have a great performance together in one of these fixtures,at the moment we seem to get one or the other.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Massa » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 pm

VCC wrote:
yosifun wrote:RvP scored 3 more goals since 20th of November making his 2nd place with Henry!

Agree he will definately have chances,would be good to see Gervinho and Walcott have a great performance together in one of these fixtures,at the moment we seem to get either theo or no-one
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Est83 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 am

Completely forgot about QPR, thought Wolves was our last fixture of the year. A record breaking goal is definitely on the cards with 180 minutes still left to play.

With the tube strikes, I was actually thinking that they might as well go ahead and postpone the Wolves game, as chances of RvP getting 3 in the one fixture are slim. Only Wenger is definitely the type to say "it would be nice for him to get the record... I'll risk him" ... only for an RvP torn ligament to happen 20 minutes in "ah... shit!" A rest around this time of year would be invaluable, but I'm sure everyone really wants to see RvP get that record, and with us being expected to breeze past Wolves and QPR, three wins on the trot after a defeat at Citeh would be the perfcect way to start the new year.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:09 am

Come on RVP.. :cheerleader:
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

RvP closing in on Shearer's record

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 am

So how many is it now? 3 in 2 games left?
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie