Arshavin threatens to leave Emirates

Arshavin threatens to leave Emirates

Postby yosifun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 am

Arsenal Forward In 'Quit' Threat

Arsenal forward Andrey Arshavin has threatened to quit the Emirates if he remains on the bench.

In an attack on Gunners' boss Arsene Wenger, the Russian has questioned Wenger's "unique philosophy" of substituting players and admits he will look for a new club his he is "glued to the bench".

Speaking to Sport Express, the 30-year-old said: "Right now I don't think about changing clubs. If I will be benched for a very long time, then such an issue might be relevant.

"I still want to play for 90 minutes, but now I am glued to the bench. I wouldn't like to play for a Russian club other than Zenit [St Petersburg], and there were no contacts with Anzhi Makhachkala."

Arshavin has been criticised for his inconsistent performances over the past year, and there were strong suggestions that he was near to joining Chelsea in the summer.

However, following his £15 million move from Zenit St. Petersburg in January 2009, Arshavin has admitted that he has lost form, but thinks that Wenger's management isn't necessarily helping.

"Wenger is a very strict manager. He always gladly helps when there are difficulties off the pitch, but nobody at Arsenal even thinks to talk him into changes when it comes to football issues. The answer is obvious to everyone.

"It's true that Wenger has a unique philosophy. Sometimes you know that you will be replaced at 70 minutes, regardless of how well you play. Sometimes you sit on the bench and know for sure you will enter the game at 65 minutes.

"Wenger has full support from the board. I think he will leave Arsenal only when he chooses to."

Should Arshavin seek a move, suitors would have to pay in the region of £10 million for his services.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/footba ... reat-12430

The team is doing well, both Walcott and Gervinho are playing better than him at the moment, and all he thinks about is that he wants to play 90 minutes.. :snooty:
He should be happy for the team and try harder to get more minutes, I won't be sad to see him leave, at least we could get a new player who isn't afraid of some competition for minutes.
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Arshavin threats to leave Emirates

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

Terrible source.

Besides, no player is happy on the bench so where's the news?
I'd be disappointed if he was happy on the bench.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: Arshavin threatens to leave Emirates

Postby AFC10 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 am

Probably quotes from about a year or so ago. Anything to upset the morale in our squad ATM.

Though, if they are true. Completely understand his frustration, but it's good he knows he's not performing well, it's not coming across he's complaining either he's said many of times how average he's been. If he doesn't go back to Russia in the summer will definitely be the one after, would like him to stay another year anyway!
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Herrpoja » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 am

wouldent be suprised if this is just shity article + i dont think arshavin even believes he is as good as he was 2 years ago
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 am

"the Russian has questioned Wenger's "unique philosophy" of substituting players"

I swear I've seen other managers make substitutions!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Not sure if the source or the quotes are true but, if so then its good he's unhappy on the bench. We should've be harbouring anyone who's simply happy to collect his monthly salary for bench warming.

What I do find interesting are the 'quotes' he made about Wenger 'unique philosophy'
"Wenger is a very strict manager. He always gladly helps when there are difficulties off the pitch, but nobody at Arsenal even thinks to talk him into changes when it comes to football issues. The answer is obvious to everyone.

That was very eye-opening for me. This is one of the few quotes from someone inside the camp divulging to us that Wenger listens to no-one but himself. We've heard suggestions from ex-players, ex-staff and pundits but for my money these comments cement the argument. Shava is an intelligent lad and although outspoken you can kinda take what he usually says very seriously.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby AFC10 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Forest » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:25 pm

personally i dont think Arshavin is capable of lasting 90mins in high tempo games, there is alot of competition for place this season and everyone has to stake their claim.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Forest wrote:personally i dont think Arshavin is capable of lasting 90mins in high tempo games, there is alot of competition for place this season and everyone has to stake their claim.

Agree,dont think the wide role is his best place either,i would like him to leave as forest has said he cant play for 90 mins,coupled with his sometimes un interested performances and lack of want to defend,
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:50 pm

I think he has done well coming off the bench lately though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

He's always done well or half-decent when he's came off the bench, its just when he starts from the beginning that he's shit and inconsistent.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Forest » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:00 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:He's always done well or half-decent when he's came off the bench, its just when he starts from the beginning that he's shit and inconsistent.

+1
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby starmandb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 am

TheLittleMozart wrote:He's always done well or half-decent when he's came off the bench, its just when he starts from the beginning that he's shit and inconsistent.

i would agree with the inconsistent but he did score and have a good game v swansea but we should be expecting more from him
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Zedie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:38 am

I just can't see him having one or two golden seasons as a starter before he starts going properly down hill. These last couple of seasons he's supposed to have been hitting his peak but things have never quite gone to plan for him.

It seems wengers only weakness transfer wise is when he spunks money on players. Jeffers, Richard wright, Reyes etc. Even karma agrees with his budget transfer philosophy!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 pm

gzagee wrote:Not sure if the source or the quotes are true but, if so then its good he's unhappy on the bench. We should've be harbouring anyone who's simply happy to collect his monthly salary for bench warming.

What I do find interesting are the 'quotes' he made about Wenger 'unique philosophy'

That was very eye-opening for me. This is one of the few quotes from someone inside the camp divulging to us that Wenger listens to no-one but himself. We've heard suggestions from ex-players, ex-staff and pundits but for my money these comments cement the argument. Shava is an intelligent lad and although outspoken you can kinda take what he usually says very seriously.

It's taken this quote for you to realise that Wenger doesn't listen to anyone but himself? I'm shocked.

I've been saying for ages that he has been surrounding himself with yes men for years. It's one of Wengers biggest flaws, if he actually accepted suggestions from the players or the coaching staff and acted on them, we'd probably be 10x better off for it.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to 23. Andrey Arshavin