RIP Smokin Joe Frazier

RIP Smokin Joe Frazier

Postby gzagee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 am

Dies aged 67.

If only Ali apologised to him face to face.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: RIP Smokin Joe Frazier

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Ali won't be too far behind him I'm sure, I saw him sitting in the crowd of an American Football game on Sunday and he looks like he's about to croak any day now. Its kind of sad to see what all those punches to the head has done to him.

anyway RIP Joe.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Ali and the media treated that man horribly before and after their fights. It is criminal the way he was portrayed.

RIP to one of the true legends in boxing.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Bergkamp64 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 pm

gzagee wrote:Dies aged 67.

I agree . Ali was downright contemptuous and cruel in the pre fight build ups . Un necessarily so because the fights sold themselves . But Smokin' Joe Frazier conducted himself superbly , and in later life was never bitter or jealous .
Joe Frazier was a thoroughly decent human being , and a wonderful World Heavyweight Champion . And he was one teak tough man . Very sad news .
Bergkamp64
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

R.I.P Smokin Joe. Legend.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:Ali and the media treated that man horribly before and after their fights. It is criminal the way he was portrayed.

RIP to one of the true legends in boxing.

Spot on.

RIP.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby VCC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Bergkamp64 wrote:

I agree . Ali was downright contemptuous and cruel in the pre fight build ups . Un necessarily so because the fights sold themselves . But Smokin' Joe Frazier conducted himself superbly , and in later life was never bitter or jealous .
Joe Frazier was a thoroughly decent human being , and a wonderful World Heavyweight Champion . And he was one teak tough man . Very sad news .

RIP,Rubbish i have footage of joe wishing ali dead,great fighter and great man sure was no Uncle Tom,64 olympic heavy weight champ and later world heavy weight champ,could not handle the jab and power of big george at all.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

AAGHH FUCKSAKE

WHY COULDN'T SOMEBODY SAVE HIM!!

RIP!!!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby yosifun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am

R.I.P true legend
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 pm

VCC wrote:
Bergkamp64 wrote:

RIP,Rubbish i have footage of joe wishing ali dead,great fighter and great man sure was no Uncle Tom,64 olympic heavy weight champ and later world heavy weight champ,could not handle the jab and power of big george at all.

Yeah, as he watched Ali light the Olympic flame Frazier said they shpuld've thrown him into it.
But after all the sh*te he got from Ali I don't blame him.
We must remember they both NEEDED each other and indeed it was Frazier who gave Ali his ticket back into big time boxing. Frazier petitioned president Nixon to allow Ali to fight him in America. Obviously it wasn't a gesture from the kindness of his heart, more likely Frazier realised the global appeal and big dollars they could make from 'the fight of the century'.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Frazier was one of those unique athletes that was always remembered more for his losses and the way he was treated than for his wins or how good he really was. But at least he is remembered.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:11 pm

gzagee wrote:
VCC wrote:
Bergkamp64 wrote:

Yeah, as he watched Ali light the Olympic flame Frazier said they shpuld've thrown him into it.
But after all the sh*te he got from Ali I don't blame him.
We must remember they both NEEDED each other and indeed it was Frazier who gave Ali his ticket back into big time boxing. Frazier petitioned president Nixon to allow Ali to fight him in America. Obviously it wasn't a gesture from the kindness of his heart, more likely Frazier realised the global appeal and big dollars they could make from 'the fight of the century'.

very true Gzagee,and good to see you back havnt seen you for a while,i have all three fights on tape and wacth quite often,i watched a documentry that had eddie futch on it and asked why he never sent eddie out for the last round against ali,he said he had seen a fighter killed and didnt want his fighter to be killed,Ali has admitted he told his corner he couldnt go out for the last round also,great fights great times,Ali Frazier,Forman,Norten,down to journymen like clevland williams and cooper the heavyweight devision was fantastic,i have photos of a fighter i trained and Frazier last year i cant post them as i dont know how lol
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 am

bit late posting this but rip smoking joe.
spent many a night trying to stay awake listening to the fights from the golden age of boxing.
in an age where sport is covered by sky now its easy to forget how difficult it was to watch live sport years ago.
i was a bit too young to go out to the cinema and watch close circuit coverage of these fights so a crackling radio broadcast had to do.
i remember frazier walking round the pitch at highbury getting a great reception when he was over for 1 of his sons fights.
the a team was on the pa and we beat luton.woodcock made steve foster look punchdrunk that day
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Return to Boxing