What should I do Broskis?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Which option

Option 1
79%
Option 2
21%

Total votes : 14

What should I do Broskis?

Postby Dejan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 am

Yoo sup.
I really want you guys opinions about the following.

Its about school. I really want to go back to school. Currently im working in a factory, good money but a shit job.
So if i go back to school, I want to go for the highest possible(what I can do). On highschool I did 2 years on high level but I hated it, didnt go to school very much. After those 2 years i got kicked off and went to a lower level. It was a technical education, I allways thought that I want to do something with my hands instead studying and become smart. so did 4 years of technical education, was pretty easy. But in my last year I noticed that im starting to dislike it, so I wanted to join the army. This was 2 years ago, when I was still 17.
So the army thing didnt go trough, injuries and several reasons. This year our goverment decided to cut on the army so theyre not accepting people anymore(this year and probably next year aswell). So no army for me.

So ill get to the point. My end goal is graduating college/university. Its gonna be hard but I want it so bad. I want to do the study: sport,marketing and managment at the Johan Cruyff University. But, I wont get accepted there now because my previous education wasnt high enough.

So there are 2 ways I can get there.

1). Option 1 is getting a education at adult education. Its the same level as the 2 years ive done. This education is 1 year(basically it is 3 years in 1). So its gonna be hard. But I could start after summer. If I pass this year, I get accepted at the johan cruyf university.

2). Option 2 is waiting till im 21(2 years) and do a entry test at the johan cruyf university. Its written in the law that when u are 21 u are allowed to do an entry test. Its a big risk tho.. If I fail that, i wasted so much time

Pro's/cons

Pro's:
Option 1
-A high level of basic knowlegde I get from this year.
-A good diploma
-I can go to college/university

Option 2
-I can keep working till im 21(2 years)..sooo..money for bitches, car, clothes..anything
-I can safe money for university(if i pass the 21 test) eventually

Cons:
Option 1
-Work my butt off all year long(its 2/3 years in 1)
-Less freetime
-I have to pay the education myself, so this means working all summer fulltime
-No money for anything else

Option 2
-The risk of failing the test
-Not the best basic knowlegde

Im 19 years old now.

speak your mind broskis!!
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: What should I do Broskis?

Postby Zedie » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Personally, i think its not the be all and end all to go college/university. Its about identifying exactly what you want to do for a job, then finding the best way to do it.

Grades will only get you so far and the rest is all about experience.

Me and my close mates have all done pretty well in life, but out of all of us, the highest earner skipped uni and went straight into the job market where he started work. By the time i graduated from uni, he was doing really well, while i was a jobless grad looking for work in a field i didnt really want to work in.

I know plumbers who are earning £50k a year because they work hard and paid attention when they were young and its paying off for them.

Decide what you really want to do/like doing then go for it.

What can you see yourself doing?

And dont say Weed tester!!!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Going to Uni for the sake of going to Uni isn't always the best option, but you really wont be happy working in a factory in the long term. If you are undecided about college then maybe you could look into getting an apprenticeship in some trade.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Dejan » Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Zedie wrote:Personally, i think its not the be all and end all to go college/university. Its about identifying exactly what you want to do for a job, then finding the best way to do it.

Decide what you really want to do/like doing then go for it.

What can you see yourself doing?

And dont say Weed tester!!!

Well, It took me long time to figure out what I really want. I still dont know it for 100% sure. But I think i will love something in the sports world. And u can chose out of 4 different profiles in this 1 year education. My interest would lay in the 'economics' option. Even if economics wouldnt really be my thing, and I finish and succeed the year, I can go everywhere I want really.

Fabrestuta wrote:Going to Uni for the sake of going to Uni isn't always the best option, but you really wont be happy working in a factory in the long term. If you are undecided about college then maybe you could look into getting an apprenticeship in some trade.

Well mate. It feels like I have no option. My education what I did was for plumber(i know, it sucks balls) and some mechanic things, When I finished it, I hated it. So basically after 6 years of school, I have NOTHING. And I wont get a good apprenticeship at a company because my education was just too low. I had a 9,5/10 for my end-exam dutch and a 9,3/10 for my end-exam English. And you know my English isnt the best so that says enough about the level ive had in school.

Ive had some shitty jobs after I left school, and that somehow progressed my way in thinking. For the first in 19 years I have the ambitions to make it. To become a well paid man. In the factory where I live, everything is over 30+'s. They might smile, but they're very unhappy with the job. And they all tell me that I should go back to school because I will regret it bigtime.

But it isnt just for the sake of going to uni. I think I would really love the education at the Johan cruyf university(sport&marketing). And also some other education where im interested in, such as International business and managment. I think I should go for it till im getting old. I finished school at 17 age, somehow that feels way too young to stop with school.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Goose » Mon May 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Option 1, then you have option 2 as back up
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Dejan » Mon May 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Good choice, who voted option 2? Please explain your choice
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 pm

I picked option 1 mostly because of Goose's reasons. If your into doing physio etc. Why dont you try to get a part time placement somewhere at a sports club.

I know the sporting system in Holland is advanced on all levels, so there should be a few clubs out there that you could apply to to see if you like it. It wouldnt have to be paid, just offer to do a few hours a week for free or something for experience.

People respond to someone that is willing to get up and go get what they want! Plus, if you get a job in a girls volleyball team, you will literally be getting paid to feel chicks up!!!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon May 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Defo option 1 for me Dejan,i personally have no qualifications but have done very very well but there is an element of luck and being in the right place at the right time in that,good luck buddy do the work make your dreams happen and if the year gets too much for you then you can always try again through option 2
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue May 24, 2011 3:17 am

I'd go for option 1... I think you're best off making some sacrifices now (bitches, car, clothes) so that you've got the best chance to do what you really want, and to also maximise your options (f**k, I'm sounding like my dad) so that you can get into many courses if you change your mind
it's really just one year that you don't want to do that sets up the rest of your life that you do want, as opposed to 2 years that you do want to do that could mean you're stuck in a job you hate with no other options for the rest of your life
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby friedslice » Tue May 24, 2011 6:20 am

I did Sports Management and Marketing at University and it got me no where apart from a hefty debt.
It was a broad degree and what they don't tell you is leaving university potential employers look for specifics. If you are going to jump into study make it a specific course or degree closely related to a specific job you want to do. For me the Sports Management Degree seems to have made me a more educated version of a jack of all trades, master of f**k all. I've since gone back to college to get something alot more specific.

At the end of the day I've found experience to be the most crucial factor in getting a job, far more than education. I'd be tempted to just ask around for a starter position in something you want to do then build up the experience either instead of or along with the study.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 am

Option 1. This way if you don't end up liking what's at the Cryuff Uni then you've got some decent qualifications.

But find out what you really want to do with your life first.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Dejan » Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 am

friedslice wrote:I did Sports Management and Marketing at University and it got me no where apart from a hefty debt.
It was a broad degree and what they don't tell you is leaving university potential employers look for specifics. If you are going to jump into study make it a specific course or degree closely related to a specific job you want to do. For me the Sports Management Degree seems to have made me a more educated version of a jack of all trades, master of f**k all. I've since gone back to college to get something alot more specific.

At the end of the day I've found experience to be the most crucial factor in getting a job, far more than education. I'd be tempted to just ask around for a starter position in something you want to do then build up the experience either instead of or along with the study.

Thanks for your input, What study u did after the sports management and marketing?

Zedie wrote:People respond to someone that is willing to get up and go get what they want! Plus, if you get a job in a girls volleyball team, you will literally be getting paid to feel chicks up!!!

Same old zedie :sneaky2:
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am

thx broskis, doing option 1.
Just wanted to print out all the papers, but ofcourse, the goddamn printer is out of ink.

ffs
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

I'm 27 and I think I need a thread like this :lol:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010