Vieira says Gunners lack his winning mentality

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Postby gzagee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am

Bittersweet news for PG

Arsenal have lacked winning mentality since I left - Patrick Vieira

French veteran still has warm feelings for Arsenal, but doesn't think Gunners will win titles as they lack the killer mentality that their rivals show

Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira has admitted that he still has affection for former club Arsenal, but added that the Gunners are struggling to win trophies because they don't have the right attitude to be successful.

Vieira spent nine seasons at the London side, but spoke of his disappointment that the team seem incapable of collecting major honours, telling L'Equipe: "I still have warm feelings for Arsenal, but it's starting to become frustrating. They play the best football in England, yet they fail to win anything significant.

"I really enjoy watching them, but they lack the physicality to impose themselves. Arsenal don't have the killer attitude that a team like Manchester United have.

"[Tony] Adams, [Martin] Keown, [Nigel] Winterburn and [Ray] Parlour weren't as good with the ball as the current players, but they put their head where others won't even put feet."

The former France international then briefly discussed City's upcoming FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United, adding that the fans must remember how the team has progressed in recent years.

"City are currently living in the shadow of United. This isn't likely to change until we win the title. Expectations are really high, but people shouldn't forget that we were fighting against relegation only a few years back."

Vieira concluded by saying that he hasn't made a decision about his future yet: "I don't know whether I'll retire this summer. It's fifty-fifty at the moment. I'll continue to play if a good offer is made, but I'll hang up my boots if nothing interesting comes up. There's a realistic chance that I'll retire."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... ft-patrick
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Vieira says Gunners lack his winning mentality

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 am

Give him a player/coaching role! He doesn't have the legs to be the box to box midfielder he once was but he could fill in for Song as the holding midfielder every now and again! He'd be great to have around the place!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:02 am

everybody sees it but wenger doesn't or he doesn't want to see it.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am

Popey wrote:everybody sees it but wenger doesn't or he doesn't want to see it.

A wise man once told me, "Any fool can find flaws, it takes real genius to find solutions."

Maybe Wenger knows it, but just can't do anything to change it. Heart, passion and pride are not things that can be taught.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Give him a player/coaching role! He doesn't have the legs to be the box to box midfielder he once was but he could fill in for Song as the holding midfielder every now and again! He'd be great to have around the place!

He's already announced retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at City in a coaching role next season though.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 pm

shut it yorky hes ours,a true gooner
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm

In a continuation of his recent interview he reckons some players may want to leave if we end up trophyless

Arsenal great Patrick Vieira fears his former club may lose their star players unless they end their trophy drought.

The Gunners have failed to land any silverware since lifting the FA Cup in 2005 and look to have lost the race for the Barclays Premier League title this season.

Manchester United can extend their gap at the top of the table to nine points with victory against Newcastle this evening, and time is running out for Arsenal in their quest for a first league triumph in seven years.

And Vieira, now of Manchester City, worries that Arsenal will continue to be the perennial bridesmaids unless they show the combative edge and winning mentality of United.

This, he says, could lead to the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Robin Van Persie leaving the Emirates Stadium in pursuit of success elsewhere.

"These days I follow Arsenal as a supporter in England," explained the 34-year-old.

"I love watching them play and the Arsenal players are doing the right things but you have to add something to that - notably in physical impact.

"In my day Adams, Keown, Winterburn or Parlour might have had less quality but they would put their heads where others wouldn't put their feet.

"Arsenal don't yet have United's killer mentality. They often need three or four goals to win a match.

"The problem is the important players like Fabregas and Van Persie will end up asking themselves questions."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-l ... nal-exodus
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 pm

He makes a good point! Cesc wantef to go last summer and RVP signed his contract under the condition that the club 'matched his ambition'.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 pm

you should ask wenger this question. do you really think you can keep key players like rvp and cesc without winning a trophie for 6 years?

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Re: Vieira says Gunners lack his winning mentality

Postby Leody » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Popey wrote:you should ask wenger this question. do you really think you can keep key players like rvp and cesc without winning a trophie for 6 years?

If they want to leave because they haven't won, I say let them go then. I want players that are fully committed to the cause through thick and thin, not mercenaries.

I'm not saying I think RVP and Cesc are mercenaries, but IF they are I don't care if they leave.

I hate wishy washy grass is greener types. They need to take a look at themselves and ask why they haven't won, what more could they do... not look for a way out of the situation.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Vieira is correct to an extent
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Popey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Leody wrote:
Popey wrote:you should ask wenger this question. do you really think you can keep key players like rvp and cesc without winning a trophie for 6 years?

If they want to leave because they haven't won, I say let them go then. I want players that are fully committed to the cause through thick and thin, not mercenaries.

I'm not saying I think RVP and Cesc are mercenaries, but IF they are I don't care if they leave.

I hate wishy washy grass is greener types. They need to take a look at themselves and ask why they haven't won, what more could they do... not look for a way out of the situation.

but c'mon! they want to win a trohie one day. and if we continue to play like that we will never win something.

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gunflash » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Popey wrote:everybody sees it but wenger doesn't or he doesn't want to see it.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. Lack of a winning mentality comes from the manager. Wenger had a reptuation as a nearly man at Monaco. Most of the French football media were well aware, before he joined Arsenal, that he had a tendency not to win as much as you might think, for a man of his ability. One of the most damaging statements that Wenger ever made was when he said that second place was not a disaster. He may have been right that Arsenal were outperforming big-spending rivals but it was sending a message that he was content with the position that we are in. That is bound to communicate itself to the players.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Popey wrote:
Leody wrote:

but c'mon! they want to win a trohie one day. and if we continue to play like that we will never win something.

If they want to win a trophy and think the only way they can is by leaving, then they can f**k off now imho. They're quitters and don't have the passion and heart that it takes to win, and will be passengers at another club, not the leaders. And that's our biggest problem right now, we don't have the leaders required.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Libertine » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I agree with Leody.
It's as if players are completely unaware of their responsibility in Arsenal winning trophies.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk