John Terry gets captaincy back permanently

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:12 am

Apparently John Terry has been given the England captaincy back permanently by Capello.

So is it right that we should forget about his previous crimes and move on?
Or is it completely hypocritical bullshit that the passage of time somehow means he should be forgiven for everything...?

Discuss.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 97,00.html
Terry reinstated as captain

Ferdinand 'preferred not to meet' Capello at Old Trafford

John Terry has been reinstated as England's permanent captain after being forgiven by head coach Fabio Capello for his off-the-field behaviour.

Capello revealed at a Wembley media briefing that the Chelsea skipper will replace Rio Ferdinand at international level - starting with next Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier with Wales in Cardiff.

But the England boss has been unable to communicate the news personally to Ferdinand, with the Italian claiming the Manchester Uniteddefender 'preferred not to meet me' at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Terry was initially appointed England captain by Steve McClaren in August 2006 and then Capello reinstated him in August 2008 after initially experimenting with different players in the role.

He stripped Terry of the honour 13 months ago after an alleged affair with a former girlfriend of ex-England team-mate Wayne Bridge.
But Capello has decided Terry has served a sufficient punishment after describing him as the "biggest personality" in the England dressing room and a "leader".

The way the armband was passed around from player to player after Frank Lampard, captain for last month's friendly in Denmark, was substituted was also a factor for Capello.

He said: "I decided John Terry would be the captain for this game (against Wales) because, after the game in Copenhagen, the way the armband was moved around was upsetting for him.

First choice

"Also, I said my decision would be the day before the (Wales) game because I wanted to speak with the players, I wanted to speak with John Terry.

"I also knew the England doctors spoke with the doctors of Manchester United and Liverpooland I knew that Rio and Steven Gerrard were injured.

"But I have decided that John Terry, after one year of punishment, will again be the permanent captain. I think one year's punishment is enough.

"He was my first choice when I (initially) decided on the permanent captain."

Capello added: "John also, when he played without the armband, was every time a leader on the pitch, a leader in the dressing room. He was really good every time.

"I have been impressed with John in the 12 months he was not captain.

"Always he is the same. He is a player that is himself a leader.

"This is really important. He is the biggest personality in the dressing room."

Capello believes Terry will have learnt from his alleged off-the-field indiscretions and is confident he will have the support of the dressing room.

He said: ""Sometimes the leader can make mistakes - not only him but I, you, all the people.

"It is not a risk making Terry captain again. He understood the mistake and he learnt from his mistakes and all the people learn from mistakes.

Important
"He will be a very important captain for us because when I choose him, I know he is a leader.

"I also think the players will be happy. I think so. They respect John Terry as a leader, absolutely."

Capello will give the reasons behind his decision when the England players meet up at their Hertfordshire base on Monday to prepare for the game with Gary Speed's Wales.

Ferdinand will revert to his previous role as vice-captain when he recovers from injury, with Gerrard, also ruled out of the Wales clash, next in line to wear the armband.

Capello had been keen to speak to Ferdinand when at United for the UEFA Champions League clash with Marseille but the meeting never took place.

He said: "I tried to meet Rio at the Manchester United game.

"I hope I will meet him in the future to speak with him personally and privately, not by phone because I think by phone is not so good.

"He was ready to meet me but he preferred not to meet us. I don't know why. It is a question for him, not me.

"I was ready, I wanted to speak with him and explain my decision.

"I hope he will be fit to play for the national team because he is one of the most important people with his experience and value as a player.

"I spoke with Steven and it is no problem for him and he told me he wants to be fit to play the next Euro game against Switzerland.

"The most important thing for him is to return to playing on a weekly basis after the operation."
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: John Terry gets captaincy back permanently

Postby Van The Man Persie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 am

The latter.

Its a joke. Terry is a despicable human being and having him lead this country is disgraceful.

Capello has to be sacked asap.

Hope Rio retires now from Internationals. He has been treated awfully and i hope he sticks to fingers up at Capello
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:16 am

Farce. Capello is cracking up

Wilshere a DM, Bale the best player in the WORLD, now this. What's next, Aaron Lennon is a goalkeeper?
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Farce. Capello is cracking up

Wilshere a DM, Bale the best player in the WORLD, now this. What's next, Aaron Lennon is a goalkeeper?

Agreed.

I would give the job to Redknapp, not only would he take it, he might get something out of them and the Spuds would fold.

Win-win.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 am

Maybe Capello sees that JT is a natural leader of men? He's given the armband to a number of individuals but for whatever reason JT is the standout candidate.
And when i look at it he's Chelsea's answer to Tony Adams (oh how I wish Abramovich had either bought another team or deferred pruchasing Chelsea for a year, then JT would've been playing for us....). He's not their most talented but they respect and respond to him as a player.
Likewise, for England he seems to be a shouter and players respond to him.
Says as much about the other candidates as it does about his credentials for the job, really.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 am

Van The Man Persie wrote:The latter.

Its a joke. Terry is a despicable human being and having him lead this country is disgraceful.

Capello has to be sacked asap.

Hope Rio retires now from Internationals. He has been treated awfully and i hope he sticks to fingers up at Capello

If he does so for that reason then that's childish on his part. He didn't hand in a transfer request when Fergie took the captaincy from him and gave it to Vidic.
Ferdinand hasn't played a game for England since Spring last year. What does he expect? :dontknow:
Anyhoo his injury problems may be a good reason for him to retire from the int'l game, that would amke for a nice amicable media friendly split for all concerned.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Forest » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 am

Rio is very injuy prone now so i agree about taking it off him but could be the right choice heading into the Euro's as Stevie G may lose his place where as JT is pretty much spot on to be CB.

Think its a lack of candidates.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby shamrock11 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 am

Gareth Muthafuckin' Barry should'a got it always thought he was a good honest,determined player
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am

shamrock11 wrote:Gareth Muthafuckin' Barry should'a got it always thought he was a good honest,determined player

Never rated Barry, I wouldn't even have him in the squad!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:05 am

Gerrard should have it. Although he still has his own skeletons in the closet, what with uppercutting that DJ who was already cowering away from the first elbow he took to the nose, curtesy of Gerrard's mate.

Actually he's just a scummy w***er as well!

Capello is the problem! Get him out, get a whole new young fresh squad, use 2012 as a warm up for 2014!

Hart
Johnson Cahill Dawson Gibbs
Rodwell
Johnson Wilshere Lansbury
Rooney Theo

NUFF SAID!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Popey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 am

JT is a joke and capello too.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Forest » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 am

That team would get smashed! Alot of those are too young now.

Gerrard is injured too so who would you give it too? JT is the best CB and will play in the Euro's so it makes sense.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Maxduke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 am

JT is the best leader in England. Simple. Not really a hard choice, he lost it for basically cheating on his wife? Forget anything about Bridge as it was Bridge's ex, no reason for Bridge to care anymore but he did because he is an overly-sensitive moron who just let the media hype go to his head.

Didn't Henry cheat on his wife?
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:18 am

Terry's a blatant coke head though!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Goose » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 am

JT is a tool, but then who else is there?

Rio might as well be put down

Gerrard is a good candidate, but he is injury prone too

JT plays most games each season, is a senior player and is probably the most natural leader in the team, rather him than Ashley Cole have it
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Next

Return to UEFA Euro 2012