Is Arsene Wenger's footballing philosophy flawed?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Is Arsene Wenger's footballing philosophy flawed?

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 pm

The above is the question i ask.AW philosophy is to develop football talent,AW will not go to the market to buy as he says over inflated players.here lies the problem as these young players are developed we are left with a squad that doesnt have the depth of an champion side.As his players develop to the likes of the Cescs Theo jack list goes on we are then developing the next crop.Some of these players in this cycle dont live up to expectation that is life.But with out going to the market and bolstering the squad with known world class talent we will always be in that developmental stage and a good 4 or 5 players short in our squad.AW philosophy will gamble with the bendys and Chamaks of this world to win titles you need imo at least 2 world class strikers to rotate.And to admit he will never totaly develop this team,Aw is not the youth team manager bring in the class we require and let go the players that are only up to playing for average teams.what is your veiw?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Is Arsene Weger football philosophy flawed

Postby gzagee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 pm

AW's philosophy will always remain flawed until or unless he wins trophies, in the eyes of some fans.
AW and the board however believe the philosophy is the right one so long as we are able to qualify for the CL in the face of other clubs spending larger amounts to buy talent.
The season we drop out of the top 4 I'd imagine will force a re-evaluation of this philosophy.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:52 pm

gzagee wrote:AW's philosophy will always remain flawed until or unless he wins trophies, in the eyes of some fans.
AW and the board however believe the philosophy is the right one so long as we are able to qualify for the CL in the face of other clubs spending larger amounts to buy talent.
The season we drop out of the top 4 I'd imagine will force a re-evaluation of this philosophy.

This.

Also, Wenger will continue be our manager whether or not we win a trophy this season
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:58 pm

gzagee wrote:AW's philosophy will always remain flawed until or unless he wins trophies, in the eyes of some fans.

That is pure business model management with no concern to develop the club history RE silverware
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

The depth is there it's down to players like Van persie, Cesc, Vermalen etc.. always getting injured so much when we need them
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:02 pm

shon wrote:

That is pure business model management with no concern to develop the club history RE silverware

I'd say that's about spot on with the way the club is run today.

I can assure you, the topic of winning isn't the first on the docket when the board meets and important decisions on how the club will be run are made.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

elkanofan wrote:The depth is there it's down to players like Van persie, Cesc, Vermalen etc.. always getting injured so much when we need them

Are you saying Bendy and Chamak are as good as RVP the depth isnt there if and when injured the in coming player should imo have no lesser effect on the side. :think:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:12 pm

shon wrote:
elkanofan wrote:The depth is there it's down to players like Van persie, Cesc, Vermalen etc.. always getting injured so much when we need them

Are you saying Bendy and Chamak are as good as RVP the depth isnt there if and when injured the in coming player should imo have no lesser effect on the side. :think:

Right so let's do a man city and buy 4 strikers who all believe they are as good as Pele?

Do you think Dzeko and Balotelli will be happy to sit on the bench? I mean Bendtner hate's it on the bench as it is, let alone players like i mentioned.

We need another top versatile striker but thats about it, the depth is there. You can't expect every player to be a superstar! Because if every player was a superstar they wouldn't have it sitting on the bench and not being first choice.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:29 pm

elkanofan wrote:
shon wrote:

Right so let's do a man city and buy 4 strikers who all believe they are as good as Pele?

Do you think Dzeko and Balotelli will be happy to sit on the bench? I mean Bendtner hate's it on the bench as it is, let alone players like i mentioned.

We need another top versatile striker but thats about it, the depth is there. You can't expect every player to be a superstar! Because if every player was a superstar they wouldn't have it sitting on the bench and not being first choice.

I think with Lansbury Rambo a new winger and what we have mid field wise we are there next season,up front you can not rely on RVP to be fit we have to have another world class finisher two to rotate. and two developers as stop gaps for injuries and lesser oposition.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I can't believe people want Hazard. The problem with our squad is too many attacking midfielders. We buy the best attacking players and then sign second rate supposed defensive midfielders like Diaby and Denilson. If we are going to spend 15m on a midfielder to replace Fabregas it needs to be someone to play the position alongside Song and allow Wilshere to move up into Cesc's place.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 pm

1) Hazard is a winger
2) He is 2x better than Bendtner on the wing
3) He is 10x better than Rosicky on the wing
4) He can play out wide moving Nasri in the middle so we don't ever have to play any midfielder beginning with D
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Massa wrote:1) Hazard is a winger
4) He can play out wide moving Nasri in the middle so we don't ever have to play any midfielder beginning with D

But we would still have the same issue of the backbone of our squad being short attaking midfielders. Attacking midfielders is NOT what we lack, what we lack is steel and aggression. That is more of a flaw than the focus on youth!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:47 pm

This isnt really about who is in or out but more the fact if you continualy develop you are doing just that.At some point you have to look at what we are missing and purchase exactly that and let go of the surplus.we of course have 17 players on loan is AW trying to create his own league.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 pm

He's going to cost 20+ milllion and Wenger won't do that!

We will have to sell Arshavin since he's not going to be happy on the bench and behind Hazard!

We need a versatile striker! Someone who can be in and about the first team and provides cover for RVP when he breaks down!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:55 pm

elkanofan wrote:

He's going to cost 20+ milllion and Wenger won't do that!

We will have to sell Arshavin since he's not going to be happy on the bench and behind Hazard!

We need a versatile striker! Someone who can be in and about the first team and provides cover for RVP when he breaks down!

He's already on the bench
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk