AW: People are harsh on Bendtner

AW: People are harsh on Bendtner

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 am

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -bendtner-

‘People are sometimes harsh on Bendtner’

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsène Wenger believes Nicklas Bendtner has come in for some “harsh” criticism this season.

After succumbing to injury at the start of the campaign, Bendtner has since struggled to oust Marouane Chamakh and Robin van Persie to hold down a regular starting spot.

But, despite limited opportunities, the Dane has still weighed in with his fair share of goals including that tie-turning strike against Ipswich on Tuesday. Wenger feels the Dane has had a number of factors go against him that others may have overlooked.

“Sometimes people are very harsh with him because he is not as active as Walcott who is mobile,” said the manager. “The size goes a bit against him but if you look at his efficiency, assists or goalscoring - it is top class.

“We have at the moment many offensive players and there is big competition going on. Bendtner has been out for a long time and at the end of last season he played without being really fit because he was desperate to go to the World Cup.

“He then went to the World Cup and played when he should not have done. He then had surgery and it took him a while to come back. When he came back it was competition [for places].

“I kept faith in him because I feel he is top quality. He is in the situation of players who are patient and have talent and want to play.

“You have special demands when you are a striker. People want you to deliver something special and at Arsenal they are used to seeing someone deliver something special upfront.

“He can deliver that. For example the goal he scored the other night was top class.”

groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: AW: People are harsh on Bendtner

Postby TRA Dial Square » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

I thought your topic title was saying "Aw! People are harsh on Bendtner" like "awww" lol
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 am

Wenger is absolutely right, have faith in Bendtner ;)

He is one of my favourite players in the squad but I know that isn't a popular view. I hope he gets the winner in one of the remaining big games to really get fans talking positively about him.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooner90 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 am

people are harsh on walcott aswell I think. When we have chamakh and v persie though can bendtner expect to get many games? Bit of crouch type of situation, start him in particular games but most the time come off the bench when called upon
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Like almost every footballer, he needs confidence, and you can't get confidence if you don't play. Since he's been playing a bit more, you can tell he's gaining some, and he's getting better. Simple really.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

We won't see the best of him until he's played centrally.

I think it'll be a straight fight between him and Chamakh, and whoever loses will be wanting out in a season or so.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm

How about Wenger stfu about other people and stop playing Bendy out wide?

Sheesh you can't turn him into something he's not.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Git » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Wonder if he will persist with Bendy on the wing now Nasri is out?

Rosicky played there earlier in the season (I think Nas was out for a couple weeks?).
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Return to 52. Nicklas Bendtner