England's Euro 2012 line-up

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: England's Euro 2012 line-up

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:55 am

Although the thread says England'a 2012 line-up... Im going to post Scotlands becuase I have intrest in who will play for your lot.

-----------------------Craig Gordon-----------------------------

---Alan Hutton-----Danny Wilson-- Stephen McManus-----Steven Whittaker

---Kris Commons --- Kevin Thompson --- Darren Fletcher--- Charlie Adam --- James Mcfadden

-----------------------Stephen Fletcher-------------------------------

Not many changed from out current squad, simply becuase our squad are al still relativley young. The only main difference will be the retierment of Kenny Miller hopefully as he offers nothing against the better teams and by then he'll be 33 and hopefully wont be considerd.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Hart
Richards--Terry--Ferdinand--Cole
Walcott--Gerrard--Wilshere--Young
Rooney
Carroll
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
Hart
Richards--Terry--Ferdinand--Cole
Walcott--Gerrard--Wilshere--Young
Rooney
Carroll

The thought of that midfield popped in my head as I watched the end of the Liverpoo Chavscum game. I much prefer Gerrard in a deep playmaker role, as he seemed to be when Chavscum were piling on the pressure. His long distance passing is second to none, and we've seen how effective Jack can be from a deep position this season. This midfield has two midfielders who are comfortable and effective form deep positions, but it also nagates the need for an out-and-out holding midfielder who can't do much else other than get physical. Both of these players add to attack in different ways, Jack could link up well with Rooney and build an attack from the edge of the box, and Gerrard could arrive late into the box and give the ball a good spanking, or add an arial threat.

I've got issues with Yound and Richards, and also the aging defense, but that midfield is the one for me!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Rooney in the free-role with Carroll holding it up would be great. As you say, Gerrard and Wilshere in midfield would work. The other positions are up for debate though!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm still undecided on Carroll (although he has been in my dream team since the second game), but I can't think of another big young center forward who could do the lone striker role. Also, Rooney and Carroll, that's two cavemen that no center backs would look forward to going up against!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Surprised so many are leaving Adam Johnson out. He's still getting better and better...
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:13 pm

My comments are more about Wilshere and Gerrard being a dream partnership in midfield, with Rooney playing deep behind a striker. Other than that and Hart in goal, everything else is up for debate.

I think we're far from even seeing a glimpse of how good Theo can be. Two years ago Cesc compared Theo (in training) to Messi... and that left us all a little confused, but atleast we know what he's talking about now (this season pre-injury). It's a shame they both play on the same wing. Although when Theo plays more centrally he does tend to drift out to the left, very Henry-esque.

I think we're back to having issues on the left again as Cole is out of favour with Capello. So maybe it's a good chance to see which one of them can do something on the left because Ashley Young is not an option for me, neither is Milner.

Hart
Johnson Cahill Dawson Cole
Gerrard Wilshere
Rooney
Johnson __ Carroll __ Walcott

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't think a Gerrard-Wilshere midfield would work. No one can decide where Gerrard's best position is and whenever he's in bad form everyone says it's the one he's not currently playing in (same for Rooney) but the fact of the matter is he is a roaming, take the game by the scruff of the neck, roy of the rovers type and he doesn't have a discipined bone in his body so that would leave a huge defensive/covering onus on Wilshere.

We know Jack can do a job there but that's in a 3 man midfield with intelligent players, I think he'd get overwhelmed in this case. Also England don't interchange positions all the time like Arsenal so he'd be stuck where he is and playing him basically as a holding stifles the best aspect of his game, not to mention there are better players for that role.

Kick fat Frank out permamently and play Wilshere behind Rooney I say.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I can see your argument, and I definitely see Wilshere's future as a playmaker behind the strikers, in Cesc's role. But personally I always figured that it was Fat Frank ruining the two-man midfield partnership of Gerrard and Fat Frank. It was Lampard's lack of intelligence and sense of defensive responsibility (of which he has none). But I've seen Gerrard adopt a purely defensive role when his team has been under the cosh. A good example would be the CL final, he moved on to the right wing midway through injury time (when most players would be dead on their feet) to take care of Milan's fresh left wing sub, Serginho... he pretty much played at right back for the remainder of the match and was immense!

A good example of Fat Franks retardedness would be when England played Japan under Sven and lost. We played the diamond formation, Beckham on the right (of course) Gerrard left (where he's more than capable of playing), Scholes behind the strikers (our only player since Jack that has the ability to play there) and of all players, Fat Frank holding the midfield! Fat Frank spent most of the game running past Scholes into the box, leaving Scholes to defend :doh:

I'm sure if Gerrard started in a deeper position with an intelligent midfielder like Jack, he would do fine. Gerrard's role as all-out maralding creater/defender/attacker/do everything you bloody can, comes from his role in the Liverpool team. He's the biggest "go to"guy there is in football. As far as the interchanging positions go, as long as one CM stayed back, the midfield would just change form a 2-1 to a 1-2, it wouldn't get too complicated.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Est83 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:54 pm

But dont get me wrong... this is a temporary midfield in my books. It's just until the so-called 'Golden Generation' hang up their boots, and make way for Arsneal's young English midfield to come in and dominate... Then of course it'll be:

Eastmond
Lansbury Wilshere
JET Afobe Theo

:biggrin: :lol:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Massa » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Gerrard Barry Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Johnson
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Massa wrote:
Gerrard Barry Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Johnson

Barry is rubbish and Rooney doesn't like playing as a lone target man
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Barry is good but inconsistent. For that reason I would agree he should be dropped from the England team. At the same time, we don't have enough decent players for the holding role. I hear Wilshere has been playing that position a bit for Arsenal? He doesn't strike me as a player to play there but if he does play well in that role, he should be ready for it by 2012.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Massa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I think Barry is great, the best English DM anyway.
And Rooney's best season (last) was as the lone frontman for the majority of games
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gunRAR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:36 am

hart
richards-cahill-jagielka-gibbs
rodwell-milner
walcott-wilshere-johnson
carroll
gunRAR
Thierry Henry