Time for Gibbs to push for Gael's position?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Time for Gibbs to push for Gael's position?

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Call it madness, call it wishful thinking, call absolute heresy but, is there a chance for Kieran Gibbs to really push Clichy hard for his LB spot?

I know, I know.. drop Gael and we play right into the hands of the Barcas and Inters of this world but, who has a god-given right to his position? Such attitude would breed complacency. And no, I'm not for a moment suggesting Gael has been resting on his laurels.

But hear me out:

With Gibbs set to feature regularly in future England squads and his maturity coming on leaps and bounds do you think it's nearing time for Wenger to think about giving him a start especially if Clichy follows on with some of last season's inconsistent performances?

We are in a privileged position to have two class int'l LBs in our ranks, but my thinking is that should Gael not pull out some stellar performances then maybe Gibbs can give him the kick up the backside he needs.

I know Gael's season was blighted by injury but I think that by now he really should be pushing Cashley and Evra regularly for the top award as best EPL LB.

What say you?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Time for Gibbs to push for Gael's position?

Postby Gould » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:57 pm

i think a full season of gibbs pushing clichy is what we need. clichy was coles natural replacement and i think gibbs is clichys. but cole wanted to leave. clichy doesnt. so i think that leaves wenger in the situation he would be mad to sell a happy player that doesnt wanna leave and therefore cause upset. gibbs and clichy seem reasonable so they will be happy to push each other and admit that the guy that gets the 1st team games is the better man. they cant improve each other cover for eachother and i think gibbs gets committed going forwards abit. clichys allright at the back i think its something gibbs has to improve on a tad
Gould
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:08 pm

That's madness. Wishful thinking too, absolute heresy I say!

Seriously though, I think Gibbs could push Clichy quite close for the LB spot, which is good because we can rotate, and competition is a good thing for players.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby djaxster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I honestly think Gibbs is better than Clichy.
Clichy making mistakes gave goals to the opposition on more than one occasion last season.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:16 pm

When you have two class players it gives you options, just like Eboue and Sagna, Eboue is more direct and better at attacking and Sagna is better defensively, the same can be said about Gibbs attacking and Clichy's defending.

I am also a fan of rotating players on depending who we play against, will stop our players getting injured all the time, Man Utd rotate their players a lot.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Not yet. But I think there's a good chance he'll be first choice in 18 months. Gibbs is actually quite different to Clichy, he seems a better natural defender, has less pace and has a stronger frame, when he fills out a bit I'm sure he'll be a beast. I think Clichy gets a raw deal from a lot of fans though, he's a brilliant interceptor and is as fast as any winger in the league bar Walcott, lucky we have him too ;)

It's good to have them both and I think Gibbs still has a bit to learn and Clichy's presence will help him, and Gibbs waiting in the wings will push Clichy.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Clichy is an invincible who has paid his dues, and stayed at the club. My god would it be a shame if he was moved out for Gibbs, but may the best man play.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 pm

The 4-4-2 we played against Legia in the 2nd half, with Eboue and Gibbs as wingers was a great attacking and defensive formation that we should adopt against the likes of Manure and Chelski
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 pm

I would be comfortable with Gibbs being first team and I hope that he pushes Clichy through merit. But I really rate Clichy, I think he had a very good game against Liverpool and I think he will play to his high level this year which we all know is fantastic. Plus I think the club he loves the club alot. I wouldn't want him pushed out but a fair one on one battle with Gibbs for the place would be fantastic.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Two seasons ago Clichy and Sagna were in the PFA players team of the year... thingy. Just thought I'd start by mentioning that.

I still think on his day Clichy is 2nd only to Cashley, and that's in the world, not just the EPL. One fairly averge and one inconsistent season and suddenly Clichy's "not all that" (not that that's what you're suggesting gzg), and I dont agree with it. But I am a little worried for this season allready, I only caught the first half on Sunday because I had to work, but it looked like Clichy got mugged a couple of times, Johnson cut inside far too easily on several occasions. If Clichy's having another one of those seasons then I wouldn't put it past Wenger to switch things up a little.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ozgooner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 am

Jumpin the gun a litlle mate , Clichy had a fantastic game against the scousers and showed he still has it . that we have the luxury of a player like Gibbs to step in for Clichy when the amount of games played for cups etc increases we should all be well pleased .

Young bull aint ready to take out the old bull just yet ;)

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 am

Gibbs to begin challenging for Gael for his spot, probably. Enough quality to do that, Wenger play him against Blackpool and sub him off after 70 minutes.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:39 am

Goose wrote:The 4-4-2 we played against Legia in the 2nd half, with Eboue and Gibbs as wingers was a great attacking and defensive formation that we should adopt against the likes of Manure and Chelski

This
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 pm

ozgooner wrote:Jumpin the gun a litlle mate , Clichy had a fantastic game against the scousers and showed he still has it . that we have the luxury of a player like Gibbs to step in for Clichy when the amount of games played for cups etc increases we should all be well pleased .

Young bull aint ready to take out the old bull just yet ;)

Sorry Ozzie my man, but Clichy was shit against pool. He made Kuyt look like Messi.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby golfinguy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I love Gibbs, and certainly want him challenging for a sport and getting a few games. Putting Clichy on the bench would be unfortunate, as he has been as loyal to Arsenal as any local lad that grew up with the club.

But my real concern with giving Gibbs the job right now is that putting Clichy on the bench would attract the sharks. We'd surely lose him to a good offer. And that leaves us with Traore as cover :naughty: Thats my fear anyway, real or not. I like having both right now, and Clichy to the bench threatens that.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk