Bolton 0 - 2 Arsenal

Bolton 0 - 2 Arsenal

Postby Classy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Viva Espana! Two touches of Spanish class provided the Gunner’s with the three points in a key encounter this Sunday evening. It wasn’t easy, coming to Bolton is never easy, but we gave it our best and ended up on top of the “Whites”. Did Owen Coyle effect such a weak Bolton side? You could say yes. They were confident and caused us many problems, particularly in the first 10 minutes either side of the half. New managers usually do have an effect in the opening games of their reign, don’t look Further than Harry Redknapp’s second game in charge of Tottenham Hotspurs, a nightmare of a game to be honest in which we don’t need reminding of.

The game didn’t start well for The Arsenal. Bolton pressurised us and didn’t let the likes of Eastmond ( the shock inclusion of the tie) and Diaby. Lee, Bolton’s energetic winger, caused Armand Traore all sorts of problems throughout the game. The Frenchmen was our weakness, and if Bolton where to get a goal then it would be from his side of the arena. Luckily Bolton didn’t take advantage over the many mistakes that Armand committed. Soon after the early madness we took control. By “control” I mean deep control of the game. We took the game by the scruff of it’s neck and battered Bolton, and I mean battered! Cesc Fabregas, our midfield maestro, suddenly came into the life, so all of the other stars followed suit. A quick break and Eduardo was onto the ball, sliding it into the feet of Cesc. He fell, with the ball moving into a direction in which Fabregas himself punched the ball. Was it a penalty? No doubt about it, Jussi Jaaskelainen clearly tripped the Spaniard over. Bolton were lucky.

But then something magical……. Words hard to describe really. Am I going over the top? I don’t think so. Quick movement in a 7-6 man scramble in the box resulted in Arsenal taking a well deserved lead on the 30 minute mark. Cesc fed the ball into the impressive Eduardo, the Croatian produced a sublime back heel to the on-running Spaniard and the rest was history. It was simple, it was class, it was Arsenal. We could have had two before half-time, with Cesc Fabregas missing a glorious chance. Having said that it was an immaculate 45 minutes, one of our better ones of the season.

The second period was difficult. Bolton pressed us even further than what we saw in the first-half. Armand Traore was consistently being found out of position as Bolton pushed on for the equaliser and Taylor, who worked hard all game, missed chances in which a player of better quality would of dispatched quite easily. The Gunner’s weren’t looking up for it anymore and we gave away the ball away too many times for a team who love to keep possession until the opponents die down. Well, that is what I’m coming to right now. Merida came on for Eastmond, who did his job very well (especially for his first Premier League start), with Gael Clichy, who returned to action since the end of October, replacing Tomas Rosicky. Merida did rather well in his cameo. He kept the ball moving, moved around himself and scored the vital goal which sealed our victory. It was a brilliantly finished goal, a goal which our strikers would have been proud of. His first touch was class, his finish was excellent.

It was over. We played them out of the game, and another three points coming our way. I’m very pleased with our performance especially how Gallas and Vermaelan kept the clean-sheet that they deserve. We are still in the race for the Title and right on the heels of Chelsea and United, so I do believe that we can do something this year. If we keep on picking up the points in games where we should be winning, then we WILL win the league, no doubt about it.

Com'on Arsenal! :)
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Re: Bolton 0 - 2 Arsenal

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Nice report Classy. :)
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Classy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Cheers Sam :)
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Gunner Down Under » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 am

"It was class, it was Arsenal". :)
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Git » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:46 am

Nice report mate. =)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 am

Good report Classy.

I'm seriously worried about Traore because it's obvious to any teams preparing to play us that they will get plenty of joy down our left hand side when he's playing.
He used to be one of my favourite players but now I'm starting to think that he either plays as a left winger or not at all.
He was great on the wing for Pompey and for us when asked but why Wenger is trying to convert him to LB I'll never know.
We already have Gibbs who is FAR better defensively than Traore so we don't really need another LB.
His positional sense is poor, his headers don't clear far enough and he gets caught ball-watching too often.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 am

Good work there Classy, thanks.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Classy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I totally agree with you Inch, Traore is currently our weakest link here at Arsenal, thankfully we have Gael Clichy back for now.

Thanks for the praise SE13 and Git. :)
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Good report Classy.

I'm seriously worried about Traore because it's obvious to any teams preparing to play us that they will get plenty of joy down our left hand side when he's playing.
He used to be one of my favourite players but now I'm starting to think that he either plays as a left winger or not at all.
He was great on the wing for Pompey and for us when asked but why Wenger is trying to convert him to LB I'll never know.
We already have Gibbs who is FAR better defensively than Traore so we don't really need another LB.
His positional sense is poor, his headers don't clear far enough and he gets caught ball-watching too often.

That's all true, but recently we've barely had anyone better to put at left back, Silvestre isn't a left back by trade either really, Wenger prefers attacking full backs so he went for Traore to deputise for Clichy & Gibbs, I don't think he's trying to convert him to a full back, just that he's the best we've had for that position while Clichy and Gibbs have been out.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Massa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:35 pm

The Midfield General wrote:

That's all true, but recently we've barely had anyone better to put at left back, Silvestre isn't a left back by trade either really, Wenger prefers attacking full backs so he went for Traore to deputise for Clichy & Gibbs, I don't think he's trying to convert him to a full back, just that he's the best we've had for that position while Clichy and Gibbs have been out.

Wut he said.

Nice stuff Classy :clap:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

The Midfield General wrote:

Silvestre isn't a LB by trade but he's far more experienced in that position than Traore and he also played very well there in pre-season.
And trust me AW is definitely trying to convert Traore to a LB because Armand admitted it himself in an interview.
He said he'd play anywhere but his position is now officially LB.
A really stupid idea imo. He's got so much potential as a LW and he's the only genuine winger in the squad.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Classy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:26 pm

I agree with your first few lines Inch. Silvestre is much more experience, he may not be the fastest of LB's that you'll ever see, but he'll offer you great posistional awareness, something in which Traore hasn't had and doesn't have. Arsene Wenger wants him as a LB, but he'll continue to be our 3rd choice for the foreseeable future, no doubt about it. Would he want to leave for 1st team football? Of course he would, he can't sit on the bench. I can see him leaving in the summer.

I also don't think that he has the potential to become a winger. Yes, he does like to run down the length of the pitch, and that is waht we need from our so-called "wingers" right now, but he doesn't have the brain-power to last there. Basically, he isn't a good enough footballer.
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Gunner Down Under » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Lee was really good down the right wing though, and with only Traore you're going to have problems.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Classy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks Jay :)
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Good work!!