Arsenal 4-0 Wigan

Arsenal 4-0 Wigan

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Arsenal FC blew Wigan Athletic away with four goals of high quality at the Emirates Stadium. New boy Thomas Vermaelen struck twice, and Cesc Fabregas scored the last, with the third contested by both Eduardo da Silva and Emmanuel Eboue.

Us fans of the Gunners were relieved to come away with three points; in the last few games we had looked more than shaky. First we had gone down 2-1 to Manchester United, despite being the better team, and some would argue that was the case too in the 4-2 loss to Manchester City the following week. It seemed like Arsenal's poor form might continue against Standard de Liege in midweek in the Champions League when we went 2-0 down in the first five minutes, but we fought back, and thanks to a bit of luck, the Gunners triumphed three goals to two.

A couple of chances went to waste for Arsenal, including one from Robin van Persie after good work down the right wing from Emmanuel Eboue. Eboue cut the ball back for van Persie, but it was slightly behind the Dutchman, and it bobbled off of van Persie's right leg.

Eduardo then had an audacious go from far out, and it flew wide, thanks not only to a deflection from a Wigan defender but from the lack of accuracy in the shot from the Croat. Arsenal threw players forward for the corner, including Thomas Vermaelen, who rose highest to head home brilliantly from van Persie's corner, leaving Chris Kirkland in the Wigan goal no chance. Vermaelen ran to van Persie, and the two celebrated the fantastic headed goal from the Belgian.

Wigan hardly troubled our third choice goalkeeper Vito Mannone, except in one rare foray forward that led to a corner. It was swung in, and a quick header surprised Vito, who parried the ball forwards. The young Italian leapt forward to pounce onto the ball, but failed to retrieve it. William Gallas athletically cleared the ball, only for it to be headed back into danger. It was cleared again; but once more not well enough. Alex Song then had a go at clearing, but the ball fell to Hugo Rodallega, who spurned the chance by overheading the ball wide of the goal, much to the relief of us Gunners.

Early on in the second half, Thomas Vermaelen ventured forward, like Liverpool fans love to see Daniel Agger do, and after a quick one-two with Eboue, the centre half curled the ball magnificently past Kirkland into the top left corner. Vermaelen and Arsenal had two; and it looked like there was no way back for Wigan.

It was then Gael Clichy's turn to speed forward, and after dribbling across the box and feeding van Persie, Clichy continued his run and was found by the Dutch forward. The French wing back cut back across his marker, and crossed for Eduardo, whose drilled volley smacked the post. After some hesistant defending, Eduardo sped in to drill home via Eboue's leg, with both players wheeling off in celebration with the rest of the team unsure who to give congratulations to.

Substitute Nicklas Bendtner then galloped down the right wing, and crossed low for Cesc Fabregas, who flicked the ball through the legs of bewildered keeper Chris Kirkland. It was a brilliant win for Arsenal, who have now gotten their chase for silverware back on track.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Arsenal 4-0 Wigan

Postby SE13 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Good stuff :clap:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Irish_Gooner » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:30 pm

I enjoyed that read well done :clap:
Irish_Gooner - Once a gooner, always a gooner. Follow me on twitter @Oisgreg
Irish_Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Cheers guys :)
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Jay :D
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby liam_cork » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:18 am

good one sam!
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 am

Good report mate.
By the way, did anyone else notice that Cesc's goal celebration was non-existent?
I know it was the 4th goal but still... he looked a bit miserable to me.
It's probably nothing...
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 am

Nice report mate, enjoyed that
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby gzagee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

Good work Sam.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby castano » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am

sam,you always impress me.wish my daughter knows as much as you do by your age
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks guys, haha cheers Castano :)
Inch, I noticed that too, I thought it could have been from a minor injury he picked up earlier on.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:16 pm

The radio commentary described the goal as something along the lines of: Fabregas turns the ball in with the only leg he has left working.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Irish Gunner 7 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Good report mate.
By the way, did anyone else notice that Cesc's goal celebration was non-existent?
It's probably nothing...

I noticed that as well, I mentioned it on the day even the girlfriend noticed it . Great match report by the way :clap: :clap: :clap: :arsenal3:
Irish Gunner 7
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby ayN » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Nice one Sam.
Wenger please go away
ayN
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Joncheff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:02 am

IRISHGUNNER7 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:Good report mate.
It's probably nothing...

I noticed that as well, I mentioned it on the day even the girlfriend noticed it . Great match report by the way :clap: :clap: :clap: :arsenal3:

I thought it was because he was injured. Was barley running before the goal and maybe he thought it was serious. Great to hear no bad news about it so far this week.
Joncheff
Patrick Vieira

Return to Match Reports 09/10