After 3 Long Years...We Go Top!

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

After 3 Long Years...We Go Top!

Postby highbury1913 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:33 am

http://highbury1913.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... ter-3.html

This stat needs confirmation but I think this is the first time The Mighty
Gunners have gone top since our 49 match unbeaten run was ended at Old Trafford. The way the weekend panned out, I was left baffled by how biased so-called pundits have been against our young side. Liverpool couldn't beat a weak Portsmouth side that would have lost to even Derby County, Chelsea are obviously struggling with the loss of their 2 best players and Man Utd were not the least bit convincing in their win over The Toffees. But somehow Arsenal, who always looked like they were gonna win at WHL even when they were a goal down, have been labelled for the past few season:
a) Inability to beat the smaller sides. (Liverpool vs Portsmouth)
b) Over reliant on star players. (Chelsea vs Blackburn)
c) Even when they win, they don't convince as title contenders. (Man Utd vs Everton)

I personally don't care what they say but its something to ponder. Why cant we do anything right but the other 3 can get away with a passionless performances?

Gareth Bale opened the scoring with a free kick. Almunia has still not been convincingly beaten, a ridiculously lucky goal from Kanu and an unstoppable free kick from Bale. Arsenal pressured in the first half but were kept out by an under pressure Paul Robinson. The second half and Arsenal were being more direct in their attempts to score and the Sp*rs defence were struggling to cope. The constant attacking though left our defence in disarray and we nearly conceded a 2nd. But when a free kick came looping into the box midway through the 2nd half, despite missing some glorious chances earlier- almost everyone fancied Adebayor to get his head to the ball before Robinson. Sp*rs tried to get a 2nd but Arsenal changed to a counter-attacking style that suited us, and on 80 minutes, Cesc makes it 5 goals in 6 as flashes of the Jenas goal at the death last season flashed in my mind. There would not be a similar situation this season as Adebayor completed the rout with a Drogba like goal from the edge of the area.
highbury1913
Liam Brady

Postby Swifty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:04 pm

That article does go to show that our underdog status is pretty unfounded, but I prefer it to the seasons when the expectaion from pundits is too high.

It's better to be the surprise package, as apposed to being the favourite, where anything but perfection is total disaster.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Return to Article zone