English Cricket

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: English Cricket

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 pm

OMG WTF!!!

What a farcical decision.

For those who don't know with 3 overs left the West Indies were offered the light and took it thinking they were ahead when they were actually 1 run behind and have now lost.

Personally i am glad they messed up as they tried to win on D/L when they could have given the grand finale for the fans. They only had to get 27 runs in 22 balls.

They are going to be fuming tonight.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:20 am

The BBC wrote: Stand-in England coach Andy Flower has reaffirmed Kevin Pietersen's commitment to England's cause in the West Indies.

The star batsman said he was "at the end of his tether" with two more one-dayers still to play on the tour.

"Kevin is very proud about what he does and he's very proud of this team," Flower told BBC 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"He's doing everything in his power to win. He's been training as hard as anyone I can assure you, and he is very fired-up to win this one-day series."

Pietersen, 28, quit as England captain in January after a rift with coach Peter Moores, who was sacked.

In a newspaper interview he admitted to mental fatigue on the long tour, which comes to a close with the fifth and final one-dayer on Friday, 3 April.

"It's been a heck of a tough time and I'm at the end of my tether now," he told the Daily Mail.

"Really and truly I can't wait to get home."

But Flower insisted that any fatigue was associated with Pietersen's personal life and not his cricket.

"He didn't say he didn't want to play. What he meant, I believe, is that he wants to get home and see his family," said Flower.

"Sometimes in his downtime he gets a big homesick like everyone, but this isn't a bad place to be - we all appreciate how lucky we are as international cricketers and he's no different in that regard.

"He appreciates where he is but, look, he's a little frustrated, he's said something in the press and that's been seized upon.

"The important thing is that these guys are playing for England. Everyone has to embrace that responsibility and enjoy it and in the main, that's the case."

© BBC Cricket

This tour is nothing short of shocking. If it's not one thing, it's another!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby meridamullet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:30 am

He'll be wishing he was back in the Windes when the Aussies are through with him in the Ashes ;)
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:09 am

meridamullet wrote:He'll be wishing he was back in the Windes when the Aussies are through with him in the Ashes ;)

I beg to differ.... He's going to be putting your attack to shame, belting the ball from Cardiff to Swansea, Lords to Portsmouth and Headingley to Manchester!

I'll wager he will be the top English scorer during The Ashes.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby meridamullet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:02 pm

SE13 wrote:
meridamullet wrote:He'll be wishing he was back in the Windes when the Aussies are through with him in the Ashes ;)

I beg to differ.... He's going to be putting your attack to shame, belting the ball from Cardiff to Swansea, Lords to Portsmouth and Headingley to Manchester!

I'll wager he will be the top English scorer during The Ashes.

He probably will be, but because of the failure of the rest of your batsmen, not through his dominance ;)

I can't wait to see Johnson Vs Pietersen, should be a cracker
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 pm

I would have preferred to see a battle between McGrath and Pieterson!

But second best would be having either Warne or McGrath in the commentary box next to Beefy and Big Bob......

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby meridamullet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Can't wait for the 2 months of staying up all night and going to work with no sleep, nearly killed me in 2005, darn me for being a sports freak
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm

meridamullet wrote:Can't wait for the 2 months of staying up all night and going to work with no sleep, nearly killed me in 2005, darn me for being a sports freak

It was the same for me when the series was over there! Sleepless nights and struggling through the day. (Not to mention that it was freezing cold here at the time, and blisteringly hot over there!)

There has to be a better alternative, but with long cricketing days, and being almost 12 hours apart, I doubt it will happen.

You'll just have to watch the Aussie wickets tumbling first thing in the morning!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 am

C'MON SURREY!!!

Managed to retain the services of Ramps, got new boss Chris Adams (England missed the boat there) and brought in a certain Andre 'Gunther' Nel.

We're gonna smash the county second div, and gots to make some impression in the cup comps too.

Let the good times roll, i say.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby SE13 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:16 am

That's the one day series wrapped up, Fintoff pulling off a hat-trick in the process.

Isn't that the first time we have one a one day series over there?

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:13 pm

SE13 wrote:It was the same for me when the series was over there! Sleepless nights and struggling through the day. (Not to mention that it was freezing cold here at the time, and blisteringly hot over there!)

I had to rearrange my sleeping schedule but with it being 5-0 to the Aussies it was very well worth it.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Thu May 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Call this a test match, jeez, which is more bereft of life, the Windies team or the pitch?. You get lots of players going on about how it's so important to preserve test cricket then they come up with a first day like that. If the crowds are thin then they aren't going to improve with tepid fare like this.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Smeagol » Fri May 15, 2009 12:14 am

rogerthornhill wrote:Call this a test match, jeez, which is more bereft of life, the Windies team or the pitch?. You get lots of players going on about how it's so important to preserve test cricket then they come up with a first day like that. If the crowds are thin then they aren't going to improve with tepid fare like this.

302-2 is hardly a bad position if you are an Englishman.

The crowds are thin because:

1) most people are at work during the week
2) the weather in England at this time of year is usually woeful, especially in Durham
3) It's being played in one of the quieter areas of the country for cricket
4) in the current economic climate, people are unwilling to risk some much money on tickets, especially with the above factors.
Smeagol
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby gzagee » Fri May 15, 2009 12:28 am

The Windies were either the second or third choice for this hastily arranged series.
Some of their players would be playing IPL if not for their cricket board accepting England's SOS...
And when you think how many years they toil playing test cricket for not very much, you may understand some of the resentment at having to forego big paydays for a month of cold and rain in Blighty.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Smeagol » Fri May 15, 2009 12:36 am

gzagee wrote:The Windies were either the second or third choice for this hastily arranged series.
Some of their players would be playing IPL if not for their cricket board accepting England's SOS...
And when you think how many years they toil playing test cricket for not very much, you may understand some of the resentment at having to forego big paydays for a month of cold and rain in Blighty.

Test cricket, being an international sport, should always take precedence over club level sport, however lucrative it might be. Test cricket is still what "makes" the players.

And as many of the England team would be over playing IPL as the Windies team and we haven't heard them complaining
Smeagol
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket