The Bendtner Thread

Re: The Bendtner Thread

Postby StLGooner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Nick is always going to be that "ugly" type of striker. Nothing he does is that pretty, but a lot of the things he does are effective. He probably won't score many Eduardo or Vela type goals, but his hard work, improved passing and the ability to get into and create space for the rest of the team will be just as valuable.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Your right Chris. He is never going to be a ''finesse'' striker, not an Eduardo, Berbatov, Vela. He is more bullish than that, an Adebayor, Kanu, Ibrahimovic type IMO, a battler, good in the air and with his feet etc.

His first touch needs work, but his actual finishing ability is very good, i don't think we will see him doing flicks and chips over the goalie but we will see power and pace, and most of his goals have been very easy on the eye, Dynamo and the West Brom volley spring to mind first.

I think by the time he is 23-24, he will be a guaranteed 20+ goals a season scorer. He may even reach that figure this season.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby cap06 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 am

i think people hav, been too hard on him. i think he must have recently pointed at a rainbow or smashed a mirror recently. most probably put a new pair of boots on his table. well basically i think he has been incredibly unlucky. his passing and vision is great.
cap06

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm

gunngunn wrote:I wanted to post a very interesting article i just read, i hope it puts things into perspective...

If you read a lot of blog posts and articles about Nicklas Bendtner everything will tell you that he is an awful striker. If you happened to watch Arsenal's matches ....blah blah blah.
.....................blah blah..........
.............. The fans need to cut Bendtner more slack, step back and take a closer look at his goal scoring record. I believe in Bendtner and you should too.

Andrew McPhail

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_ ... belie.html

I highlighted some bits in bold because these IN my opinion are things he gets stick for...

I totally agree with what he says about Cesc and about confidence or lack of it, and for a change he is spot on about the misquoted article.

I don't know if this bloke is a gooner or not but if he is he should be ashamed of himself for writing the fake article to Nike.
He's a f***ing t**t for writing that and now he's had to come out with a huge slice of humble pie because all of a sudden he believes in him.
He's only shown over time how wrong he's been to be such a knee-jerking twunt.

No-one will remember this half-hearted, thinly veiled apology but everyone will remember that fake letter to Nike as it was printed in several newspapers. I'm sure Bendtner won't forget it for a while either.

Why should we all sit up and take notice because some idiot has suddenly realised that young players have erratic form? Bendtner plays badly one month and then plays well the next one!
OH MY GOD!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!! JESUS CHRIST!! CALL THE FUKCING FIRE BRIGADE!!
It's called erratic form and all young players experience it, and many older ones too for that matter.
This cock needs to get out more....
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby bergie4ever » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 pm

ArsenesRedandWhite wrote:Emile Heskey is never usually that prolific, but everybody and their mom wanted to sign in January for what he can still bring to the team: a presence. He holds up play to bring others in and gives defenders a horrible time fighting for the ball. Weren't there even rumours that Liverpool wanted him back?

Bendtner is our presence in games when we need one. It's better than having no choice but to put two delicate strikers in in a tough away game.

Emile "Candyman" Heskey...pronounce his name 3 times in a row in front of a miror,he will score one goal!! :rofll: :hiding:
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby djaxster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:49 pm

peeps are starting to see the light..
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby goonerkas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Practice makes perfect simple as that. The more he plays the more he will improve. His best form and majority of goals have come away from home. Over time he will learn to deal with the presssure and expectation at home. Then rest assured the goals will come flooding through
goonerkas
Patrick Vieira

Postby Fabby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

cap06 wrote:i think people hav, been too hard on him. i think he must have recently pointed at a rainbow or smashed a mirror recently. most probably put a new pair of boots on his table. well basically i think he has been incredibly unlucky. his passing and vision is great.

WHAT :dizzy:
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby cap06 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Fabbyulous wrote:
cap06 wrote:i think people hav, been too hard on him. i think he must have recently pointed at a rainbow or smashed a mirror recently. most probably put a new pair of boots on his table. well basically i think he has been incredibly unlucky. his passing and vision is great.

WHAT :dizzy:

you heard me. hes good at passing...well you read me. it.
cap06

Postby squirrel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm hesitant to comment on Bentner, as I'm sure like many others my opinion of him fluctuates all the time. Yes, I can see potential. BUT most games I see he infuriates me, the CL first leg at home to Roma is a good example of this. The number of fairly straight forward chances which he had and missed in that game was rediculous, and I was fuming because I was sure it was going to cost us in the second leg, and it nearly did.

And with regards to his passing, I'm sorry but if you watch an Arsenal game and literally count the number of times a player has a bad first touch and gives possession away, or hits a stray pass straight to the opposition, I guarantee you Bentner will come come top of the list. I'm trying all the time to see improvements in him, and I am slowly, but god he drives me mad most of the time at the moment.
squirrel
Liam Brady

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 pm

squirrel wrote:I'm hesitant to comment on Bentner, as I'm sure like many others my opinion of him fluctuates all the time.

And with regards to his passing, I'm sorry but if you watch an Arsenal game and literally count the number of times a player has a bad first touch and gives possession away, or hits a stray pass straight to the opposition, I guarantee you Bentner will come come top of the list. I'm trying all the time to see improvements in him, and I am slowly, but god he drives me mad most of the time at the moment.

I'm sure that the stats for incomplete passes can be found somewhere and I doubt that his stats for that are any worse than any other 19-21 year-old Arsenal player.

The reason that cap06 has said he's a good passer is because of his superb long-range passes.
Think of the huge overhead pass to set up Adebayor against Wet Spam, or the perfectly targeted overhead ball that landed right in RVP's lap against Hull (I'm sure he did that against Roma as well...).
He also set up the first goal against Blackburn with a through-ball.
He does that sort of thing all the time but doesn't get credit for it because the fluffed chances take the headlines.

I'm not surprised that your opinion fluctuates all the time because his performances do as well.
Typical of a young player really.
You're right to be hesitant to comment. Judgement shouldn't really be passed for another season at least.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunner Down Under » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am

Look- he's inconsistent, and that's because he's young and has a history of rubbishness. Yeah, Inchpractice is right, and it also seems like that Ade and Van Persie are getting more credit, even though their recent form has been crap.

If Bendtner and Diaby mature, they have the potential, but they have to unlock it really.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby arseman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 am

Inchpractice wrote:The reason that cap06 has said he's a good passer is because of his superb long-range passes.
Think of the huge overhead pass to set up Adebayor against Wet Spam, or the perfectly targeted overhead ball that landed right in RVP's lap against Hull (I'm sure he did that against Roma as well...).
He also set up the first goal against Blackburn with a through-ball.
He does that sort of thing all the time but doesn't get credit for it because the fluffed chances take the headlines.

I'm sure he also did that in the away game against Sunderland.....a lovely left footed chip that landed right in front of Robin....unfortunately he shot straight at goal with his chocolate foot....
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby bergie4ever » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am

It's true that he's too "inconsistent"...but I still keep faith in him (even if he is sometimes a very frustrating player... :BangHead: :lol: ), and I still think he can become a great striker!! ;)
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 96,00.html

Sky Cocks wrote:
Bendtner hails Olsen approach

Gunners striker praises close relationship with Denmark boss

By Richard Torgerson Last updated: 24th March 2009

Bendtner: Good relationship

Nicklas Bendtner has put Denmark's good performances down to manager Morten Olsen's close relationship with the players.

Denmark currently sit top of their World Cup qualifying group ahead of the likes of Portugal and Sweden.

The Danes can stretch their lead at the top of Group One with victories against Malta on Saturday and Albania next Wednesday.

The 21-year-old has 12 goals to his name for the Gunners this season and will be looking to add to his tally of two goals in eight international appearances to repay the Denmark boss' faith in him.

Bendtner revealed that Olsen even rang him up to offer words of encouragement when sections of the English media were giving him a hard time after being wrongly quoted as saying he was the best striker at the club.

"It is really nice that Morten calls me," he told BT.

"We are primarily talking about football but he is also quick on saying positive things.

"He doesn't just call me, but also other players. He calls us, when he thinks he has something to give us.

"That's really positive. It's nice to know that the manager follows what's going on, and takes part of it."
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to 52. Nicklas Bendtner