Arsenal 4 – 0 Blackburn – that’s more like it!

Arsenal 4 – 0 Blackburn – that’s more like it!

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:33 am

Match report by Goonergirl:

Goonergirl wrote:My blood pressure having just returned to normal after the Roma match I wasn’t sure what sort of Arsenal to expect to turn up against Blackburn, especially after the several dull draws we had had at home against mediocre opposition recently so I set off to the match with some trepidation.
Missing Gallas to an injury as well as the longer term absentees and Van Persie ‘rested’ on the bench Bendtner started off on his own up front as the team consisted of Almunia in goal, Sagna, Djourou, Toure and Clichy in defence, a midfield of Walcott, Song, Denilson, Arshavin and Nasri with the lone Dane striker in attack.
Seated behind the goal Arsenal were shooting in in the first half I should have had a perfect view of the goal that arrived barely 2 minutes after the start of play, except for some err.. idiot, who decided to walk into our row, stand in front of me and ask the guy next to me what seat number he was, completely obliterating my view of it before wandering off not to be seen again. It was a great Walcott cross anyway, after a nice Bendtner pass and a bit of a bundle in the box before the ball went in, accredited at the ground to Arshavin but later named as an own goal.

The first half after that was calmer, Arsenal dominated without any great chances and the fans amused themselves by informing the Blackburn fans that “we pay your benefits”. A SHOCKINGLY late tackle from Diouf on Almunia should have seen a red card but instead just a yellow, though Diouf was booed the rest of the game. Bendtner missed a chance or 2 and Nasri curled a free kick in that blasted the woodwork before a minute later having another great opportunity to put us 2 up - his volley saved by Robinson. Blackburn then had a couple of chances but didn’t really look seriously threatening. So half time and only 1 goal up knowing what Arsenal have been like this season that didn’t seem a particularly safe lead but we started the 2nd half all guns blazing.

Bendtner missed an open goal from a great Walcott cross and then Walcott himself was blocked by Robinson. A great through ball by Denilson gave Bendtner another fantastic opportunity but he took one to many touches and Robinson saved yet again. Arshavin had looked lively all game, boy, is he tiny – he makes Nasri look like a giant, but he’s a tricky skillful player and receiving the ball way out on the left he took it to the goaline, beat a Blackburn defender and curled in the most exquisite shot from an impossibly tight angle to open his Arsenal account.
2 goals up and we went back to normality for the afternoon – ie Bendtner blasting over the bar with a shot he really should have done better with. He was substituted shortly after for Vela. The ground applauded as he went off. Ok, so his shooting had been woeful but other then that he had had an ok game especially considering he was playing on his own up front. No doubt the Bendtner haters will have a field day and I will say that the crowd weren’t happy as he spurned chance after chance but I don’t think his poor shooting tells the entire story of his afternoon.

Pederson then dived so beautifully in the box after no contact from Sagna that he should have been awarded an Oscar (and a red card). Eboue came on for Walcott and quickly got in on the action as Arshavins shot was only parried by Robinson and Eboue volleyed home the rebound from close range celebrating with a little dance (though I think the PA man announcing him as Eboue ‘the goal machine’ was stretching it a little…) Rubbing it in just a bit more for the people who always decide to leave 10 minutes from the end they missed not one, but two goals as Vela was fouled in the box in injury time and Eboue calmly hit the penalty right of Robinson and into the net.

So, a 4-0 victory. An excellent game for Arshavin, not so good for Bentdner. The defence had very little to do. We played well but Blackburn didn’t really turn up – anyhow it means we spend the night at least back in 4th place – question is – can we stay there?

Nice one GG. :thumbsup:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: Arsenal 4 – 0 Blackburn – that’s more like it!

Postby Git » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:05 am

Nice report. :)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Trina » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 am

Nicely done GG :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby the real gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 am

Good read, so right about Bento. He seems so not an AW player weird!
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 am

Nice work GG, that Diouf is a w***er of a man.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby damo1583 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:12 am

Seperated at birth Diouf and the alien from Enemy Mine.................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arseman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:15 am

the Djiouf tackle was an absolute disgrace, Manuel was really lucky his ankle wasn't snapped!
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Good read :clap:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby natalie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Echo what others have said
Thanks
natalie
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby gzagee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Good read Gigi!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Gooner Girl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks guys :)
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby meridamullet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 am

nice report GG. thanks
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 am

Good report. Diouf was trying to "do" Almunia with that lunge. Pedersen's dive was absolutely pathetic but what do you expect from a team managed by Sam Allardyce? Hopefully this is Arshavin hitting form now. His goal was excellent. He's cup-tied in Europe but that might work to our advantage in terms of him being fresh for the League and cup games.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 am

Great stuff Helen. :clap:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Match Reports 08/09