Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm

Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:Seeing as people on here agreed with me I think it proves that the stat is far from nonsense :crybaby:

I don’t think they do.

No one is agreeing with you that he’s prolific.

Rockape wrote:I like the non penalty stat, because we don't need a player to take penalties and players like Kane take a lot of pens (yes they are good at them too) and therefore their numbers are artificial, set against non penalty takers.

Fran Solo wrote:The non penalty goals stat is valid and can give us some more clue.

More L's for you :crybaby:

Selective quotes I see, they actually said this:

Rockape wrote:I like the non penalty stat, because we don't need a player to take penalties and players like Kane take a lot of pens (yes they are good at them too) and therefore their numbers are artificial, set against non penalty takers. No sure what the non assists means though. :think:

Fran Solo wrote:The non penalty goals stat is valid and can give us some more clue. It's the title that annoys some readers.

One person says they don’t know what the non assist thing is which is part of that nothing stat.

The other acknowledges the most prolific attacker title is what annoys people, which is what we’re specifically talking about.

He’s not one of the most prolific attackers.

Not only is the stat misleading, you’re misleading us with you’re selective quotes now.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm

As with all stats, the numbers themselves are useful and can indicate a player's production. The flaw is that most of the world is populated by morons who don't understand HOW to apply data and draw conclusions properly.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:51 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Alexis wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Gabi Jesus is at least a level above the Arsenal sort of peak Welbeck.
I dont rate him very highly but hes the best attacker we can get and i would welcome this signing. He could be a Wiltord like player for us.

I accept hes not going to be that special brazilian number 9, but hes more than good enough to score lots of goals and do a job for us. He's better than that shadow version of Laca we saw last season for sure and easily better than Eddie.

fuk me how far the standards have fallen. From titi and van judas to fukin wele as the recent benchmarks.

It's not exclusively an Arsenal problem, though.

The lack of prolific, true world-class talent in the CF position is omnipresent in world football. The days when you had 3-4 world-class, prolific CFs in each league are long gone. These days, players like Darwin and Osimhen—who currently aren't anywhere near that tier—cost £80m and £95m, respectively. Teams from foreign leagues are experiencing financial difficulties and know Premier League clubs are loaded—hence the insane asking prices.

Again, Jesus could easily flop as CF. But who else of note is available for £40m-£45m? It's slim pickings.
Yes. It's why 6 months ago i made another 'football is going downhill' thread which has evolved into 'football is in the dark ages'.

We have so many of these 'in the hole' all round tidy attackers but no real street smart strikers. This is due to a number of factors however how the game will look in 2025 when Benzema, Lewandowski, CR7 have finally retired will be intreaging since globally the game shows so few real candidates to reach these levels even, let alone the 90s and early 00s.

Nunez and Oshimien are young and have time to develop but your so correct in seeing neither show anything truly special or have the talent to reach the other 3 players i mentioned, but in terms of young strikers bar Haaland & Mbappe this is literally it for top young strikers around the world, hell even just look at how few great world class strikers there are under the age of 27 in general. The game itself has a striker problem, a problem growing worse and worse by each season as thr game grows further entrenched into promotion for billionaires over its grassroots game of the people nature.

This is why i really don"t mind Gabi Jesus because he may clearly not be all that but hes still one of the top 20 strikers in the game because this is all we have. The modern game dont make them like they used to.

It really is in the dark ages. Agree with Zenith as well. The striker situation and standard is low worldwide. The goals just aren't coming from that position anymore. A Henry or RVP is like finding a unicorn. Any striker that manages to score 15-20 goal in one season has a sky high valuation even if their of a similar quality to Darren Bent or Andy Caroll.
Yes. Case in point Darwin Nunez.

Evem 10 years ago at his age you would be hard pressed to find any team paying more than $5-$10 million for him even with all the goals he scored. He's similar to Haaland really. Big striker, quick, works hard, good eye for goal. Thats about it. Incapable of scoring goals on his own out of nothing like Mbappe, Benz, Lewandowski or CR7 but gets the job done.

World Class strikers of the past made their craft on the streets and simply fine tuned it late on in an academy or what should happen is work their way up from non league as a teenager, learn to deal with bruiser defenders the hard way, become a man then peak in their mid to late 20s or early 30s. Modern strikers via this cotton whool academies don't learn how to fight defenders playing with their backs towards goal, not to mention they all delude themselves into think they are the next CR7 and settle for mediocity once reality sets in 5 years later in a bag average 4-5 tier side.

Yep. It starts early. Maybe it's an age thing but most players today just aren't a joy to watch. The elegance and flair we used to see from individual players seems to have gone. The most charismatic thing about football today are the managers.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:04 pm

TedLasso wrote:As with all stats, the numbers themselves are useful and can indicate a player's production. The flaw is that most of the world is populated by morons who don't understand HOW to apply data and draw conclusions properly.

His numbers are decent and he could have potential if given the minutes but putting him in the same company as Henry, Aguero, Salah, Suarez and RVP is plain stupid.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Reiss » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:19 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:Seeing as people on here agreed with me I think it proves that the stat is far from nonsense :crybaby:

I don’t think they do.

Rockape wrote:I like the non penalty stat, because we don't need a player to take penalties and players like Kane take a lot of pens (yes they are good at them too) and therefore their numbers are artificial, set against non penalty takers.

Fran Solo wrote:The non penalty goals stat is valid and can give us some more clue.

Rockape wrote:I like the non penalty stat, because we don't need a player to take penalties and players like Kane take a lot of pens (yes they are good at them too) and therefore their numbers are artificial, set against non penalty takers. No sure what the non assists means though. :think:

Fran Solo wrote:The non penalty goals stat is valid and can give us some more clue. It's the title that annoys some readers.

One person says they don’t know what the non assist thing is which is part of that nothing stat.

The other acknowledges the most prolific attacker title is what annoys people, which is what we’re specifically talking about.

Not only is the stat misleading, you’re misleading us with you’re selective quotes now.

More like selective quoting from you. One says he likes the stat and the other says it's valid.

I can see why you've got 3 L's in your username.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:36 pm

Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

I don’t think they do.

More like selective quoting from you. One says he likes the stat and the other says it's valid.

I quoted the entire post, you quoted the part that suited you and I’m selective?

If you read the entire the posts then it’s not quite the picture you painted in afraid.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
TedLasso wrote:As with all stats, the numbers themselves are useful and can indicate a player's production. The flaw is that most of the world is populated by morons who don't understand HOW to apply data and draw conclusions properly.

His numbers are decent and he could have potential if given the minutes but putting him in the same company as Henry, Aguero, Salah, Suarez and RVP is plain stupid.

The 2nd most prolific attacker thing is just nonsense, he clearly isn’t and as you rightly did putting him in the company of those others names is ridiculous.

I admit I don’t really rate him particularly but others do and that’s fine with me, I’m just giving my take on it based on me seeing him at City.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

I agree with this. Each of them an unquestioned top scorer at their club. Jesus COULD reach that level if he seizes the opportunity Arsenal are presenting but pretty much everything has to break properly.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Reiss » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:16 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

I don’t think they do.

I quoted the entire post, you quoted the part that suited you and I’m selective?

If you read the entire the posts then it’s not quite the picture you painted in afraid.

I said people agreed with me. And they did.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:34 pm

Apparently .......... according to this article we may have increased our wage offer from £190k to £220k.

Ridiculous money but with our failing to get top 4, we've got to do what we have to do however and again .......... if we play the lone CF position and he flops like Auba did then this is going to look terrible.

......... if we don't get Raphina though he can play wide where he actually wants to play, at this stage the answer to all sorts of our issues is simply, change the damn formation.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... ost-386194
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

I don’t think they do.

I said people agreed with me. And they did.

The post is about being prolific, thats the title and no one agreed with that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

The 2nd most prolific attacker thing is just nonsense, he clearly isn’t and as you rightly did putting him in the company of those others names is ridiculous.

I admit I don’t really rate him particularly but others do and that’s fine with me, I’m just giving my take on it based on me seeing him at City.

I wouldn't put too much energy into it. We'll see if we sign him first and where he plays. I'm sweating over the idea of Nketiah starting as our first choice striker and Balogun being our number 2. I'd take Jesus over either of them and I also want Arteta to get his first choice options so we can actually see if he can play attacking football once he has his choice of players.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
22-0 wrote:Dragging on too long.

Its the Arsenal way for all our transfers. Its been a week now since that Vieira lad was signing and now its gone silent.

Very true, West Ham sign a guy for 30 million in about a day.

We apparently sign a guy last week and it goes quiet, very odd.

West Ham started preliminary talks with aguerd on the 6th July 2021

Preliminary talks?

Maybe they showed some interest last summer but they made it happen this summer, I don’t see the relevance, I mean we were interested in Aouar one year but we didn’t sign him the following January or summer.

That’s what happens
You have a list and if you can’t get them after negotiations then you scratch them off and go with someone else as we did buying partey and odegaard instead
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Alexis » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 pm

apparently on holiday and doesn't want to cut it short (1 week left). has already given his word that he'll join us.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:54 pm

Alexis wrote:apparently on holiday and doesn't want to cut it short (1 week left). has already given his word that he'll join us.

Yes I wouldn't be surprised.

We've basically over paid particularly in wages which is making the player demand City sell him to Arsenal, City can't just sell him to wherever they want without the players consent so we've basically won the battle with the reported £220k pw wage.

Something he won't get anywhere else by a long shot.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk