General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: General Movie Discussion Thread

Postby themessiah » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:54 pm

The Black Phone: somewhat disappointed considering how good the trailer is tbh , definitely showed all the best bits. Acting is very hit or miss, and took a while to get going properly. Music and sound is very good and unsettling, but ruined some scenes throughout. 6/10
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:57 pm

themessiah wrote:The Black Phone: somewhat disappointed considering how good the trailer is tbh , definitely showed all the best bits. Acting is very hit or miss, and took a while to get going properly. Music and sound is very good and unsettling, but ruined some scenes throughout. 6/10

Diabolical film. I walked out of the cinema after 20 mins
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby themessiah » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:08 pm

UFGN wrote:
themessiah wrote:The Black Phone: somewhat disappointed considering how good the trailer is tbh , definitely showed all the best bits. Acting is very hit or miss, and took a while to get going properly. Music and sound is very good and unsettling, but ruined some scenes throughout. 6/10

Tbf Thinking about it again I will now like to put the score down to 5/10 was a bit of a disappointment for me. Perhaps because I expected more of a horror element. It’s there but limited. It was Disappointingly average due to the amount of rushed ideas present throughout. Now on the the Elvis movie on Monday evening. One of the things I’m most excited about with the Elvis movie is it’s inclusion ofShow the spoiler
BB King, Little Richard, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Big Mama Thornton, and Arthur Crudup some of whom even have songs in the film. Long overdue and integral to music history.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm

themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Tbf Thinking about it again I will now like to put the score down to 5/10 was a bit of a disappointment for me. Perhaps because I expected more of a horror element. It’s there but limited. It was Disappointingly average due to the amount of rushed ideas present throughout. Now on the the Elvis movie on Monday evening. One of the things I’m most excited about with the Elvis movie is it’s inclusion ofShow the spoiler
BB King, Little Richard, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Big Mama Thornton, and Arthur Crudup some of whom even have songs in the film. Long overdue and integral to music history.

Elvis was a pretty boy who barely wrote a song in his life

Buddy Holly had more talent in his arse hair and did more for music in his 18 month long career than Elvis ever did
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby themessiah » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 pm

UFGN wrote:
themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Buddy Holly had more talent in his arse hair and did more for music in his 18 month long career than Elvis ever did

I am mainly just going to see the movie because of the rave reviews it is getting . Plus anything with little Richard even a cameo is a must watch for me tbf. I do agree Elvis' appeal was mainly for his looks as much as his talent. Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino were all better tbf, I also prefer Big Mama Thornton's version of Hound Dog. And yes Chuck even though I Heard Chuck berry was a weird guy in his personal life as a artist he was was a triple threat , terrific songwriter/singer, amazing player, and fabulous entertainer. Jerry lee Lewis and Little Richard amazing entertainers as well . They were the originals and never got full credit. Or should have even more credit tbf.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:49 pm

themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:
themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:

I am mainly just going to see the movie because of the rave reviews it is getting . Plus anything with little Richard even a cameo is a must watch for me tbf. I do agree Elvis' appeal was mainly for his looks as much as his talent. Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino were all better tbf, I also prefer Big Mama Thornton's version of Hound Dog. And yes Chuck even though I Heard Chuck berry was a weird guy in his personal life as a artist he was was a triple threat , terrific songwriter/singer, amazing player, and fabulous entertainer. Jerry lee Lewis and Little Richard amazing entertainers as well . They were the originals and never got full credit. Or should have even more credit tbf.

You wanna talk about peeps from that era with weird personal lives, check out Jerry Lee Lewis

But I agree regards the rest. Chuck Berry was arguably the most important musician of all time....and I do mean ALL time going all the way back to when man first clapped his hands

UFGN

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Elvis was an entertainer he moved the goal posts of performance with his movement, incredible voice and incredible looks, he didnt need males like myself to rate him he was the king he had enough female followers to not have to give a toss what any male thought, couldnt write a note pretty much but didnt have too. Great soul voice for a southern white boy. He had the black market more than any other white artist
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:03 pm

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

That's what it's called right?

Chaotic, hilarious, a little over the top. It's a mental sci-fi with some loopy metaphors which are a bit hit and miss, but overall great. Had my girlfriend in tears as it's essentially about Asian parent/child dynamics and the generational difference in how love is expressed.

My girlfriend is a ridiculously high achieving lawyer that was 2 years ahead in school and a nationally ranked swimmer in Hong Kong (not known for their swimming of course, but she's 5'2" and was beating 6'3" Ausie guys with ease)...... still not good enough for her parents though :lol:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:05 pm

VCC wrote:Elvis was an entertainer he moved the goal posts of performance with his movement, incredible voice and incredible looks, he didnt need males like myself to rate him he was the king he had enough female followers to not have to give a toss what any male thought, couldnt write a note pretty much but didnt have too. Great soul voice for a southern white boy. He had the black market more than any other white artist

Dude, Buddy used to play black clubs during segregation

......and the Beatles refused to play segregated gigs

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:08 pm

Est83 wrote:Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Chaotic, hilarious, a little over the top. It's a mental sci-fi with some loopy metaphors which are a bit hit and miss, but overall great. Had my girlfriend in tears as it's essentially about Asian parent/child dynamics and the generational difference in how love is expressed.

My girlfriend is a ridiculously high achieving lawyer that was 2 years ahead in school and a nationally ranked swimmer in Hong Kong (not known for their swimming of course, but she's 5'2" and was beating 6'3" Ausie guys with ease)...... still not good enough for her parents though :lol:

..... because she's thinking of marrying beneath her?

:hiding:

:biggrin:

UFGN

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 pm

UFGN wrote:
VCC wrote:Elvis was an entertainer he moved the goal posts of performance with his movement, incredible voice and incredible looks, he didnt need males like myself to rate him he was the king he had enough female followers to not have to give a toss what any male thought, couldnt write a note pretty much but didnt have too. Great soul voice for a southern white boy. He had the black market more than any other white artist

Aware of that but buddy played rock n roll, as did the beatles. Elvis was different, they all played a part in moving music to the shit show it is now, if i had to pick any true master for me it would be chuck berry and jimi hendrix
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 pm

VCC wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Aware of that but buddy played rock n roll, as did the beatles. Elvis was different, they all played a part in moving music to the shit show it is now, if i had to pick any true master for me it would be chuck berry and jimi hendrix

Wtf? How the hell did the Beatles and Buddy help to create this musical hell we're in? Unbelievable comment

UFGN

Postby themessiah » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:47 pm

UFGN wrote:
themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:
themessiah wrote:
UFGN wrote:

You wanna talk about peeps from that era with weird personal lives, check out Jerry Lee Lewis

But I agree regards the rest. Chuck Berry was arguably the most important musician of all time....and I do mean ALL time going all the way back to when man first clapped his hands

Those Chuck Berry and Neil Sedaka songs one’s about girls turning 16 that have very unsavoury undertones. I know Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin tbf . Still great balls of fire is one. of the best songs ever tbf. We all know Priscilla Presley only 14 or something when she met Elvis. Different times. if you wanna go to the start of rock and roll you can think about fats domino's 'the fat man (1949)' which was the first true rock and roll song tbf

or you can go back to 1945 to louis jordan's 'caldonia' for when the sound started to take shape

or even before that. we all know elvis or popularize rock and roll, he just made it easy for the white man to give more of a chance.

Like you said if you want an actual influential white rock and roll artist look out for buddy holly. guy was just 22 when he passed away and his career broke out just 2 years prior but he left a bigger impact. Him and The Big Bopper were taken too young. Anyways rock and roll never was a predominantly white genre or white led tbh. most influential artists who paved the way to the sound were black, its origins too

elvis was just 50s eminem(who I have never rated) Eminem that is . I don’t really like hip hop/rap music anyways . when it comes to his white privilege. not necessarily racist but Elvis dis used his race to his benefit. whats ironic is that once elvis' music had the opposite effect and was actually promoting black artists/music the same execs who put him up there started to slander him and defame him, all out of sheer racism and nothing more. they didn't want a white guy to promote black culture
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:07 pm

UFGN wrote:
VCC wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Wtf? How the hell did the Beatles and Buddy help to create this musical hell we're in? Unbelievable comment

Each genre movement in music starts with someone bringing something different, and each time that movement happens people like you and i say how did we get to that fuckshow as they did when chuck berry elvis the beatles all had when they come about.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:32 pm

UFGN wrote:
Est83 wrote:Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

..... because she's thinking of marrying beneath her?

:hiding:

:biggrin:

Facts! Haha

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Films