2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:07 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
ag6789 wrote:He needs proper players ,which he's slowly accumulating for a total football approach. He's following Pep/ Wenger model, and getting there slowly but surely.
Technical players all over the pitch.

But Arteta is a very controlling manager role / position wise so that whole theory doesn't make much sense.

You can't be a dictorial manager and want free flowing football?

Arteta doesn't know what free flowing football looks like. Pep does not play that way. It is massively practiced and regimented to the point that it becomes automatic. But it only looks free flowing because of the players he recruits.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:24 pm

ag6789 wrote:He needs proper players ,which he's slowly accumulating for a total football approach. He's following Pep/ Wenger model, and getting there slowly but surely.

Arteta isn’t and never will be at the level of Pep/Wenger.

Guardiola is a chequebook manager who can manage big players, in that sense he’s very good, but he can spend huge amounts building his team, Arteta is vastly inferior to him.

Wenger was fantastic with counter attacking football, but the later stuff wasn’t great and was a failure, Arteta isn’t even at that level.

He’s trying to buy success by spending huge fortunes, which in theory anyone can do, so far he’s failed completely.

If he spends another huge pot of money it’s not that hard to improve, the trick is to improve working with what you have then build gradually, not go on a huge spending spree every time you fail.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

But Arteta is a very controlling manager role / position wise so that whole theory doesn't make much sense.

I don’t think the football is all that good, there’s the odd spell of nice stuff, but it’s the exception rather than the rule.

From what I can see, he just goes from spending spree to spending spree and you see a modest improvement which you should get automatically anyway if you spend large amounts of money.

If he fails, we’ll have spent huge amounts of money and the next manager will have to pick up the pieces, probably with little to spend because it’s all been spent by Arteta someone who has never proven he can do the job.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:27 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Liverpool apparently getting £15-17m for Minamino ??

How on earth do they command such high fees for their unwanted players ?

A 27 year old striker that has started less than 25 PL games in 4 years ...

Drop all targets and sign Liverpool's transfer chief.

18M Euros for Minamino lol.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:29 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Pep says hi.

Saying that, I did worry when we took Arteta he’d just be a cheap pep. Hopefully turns out even half as good but he’s brought all the weird/bad sides of pep without being anywhere near as elite lol
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 pm

If we are brining Raphinha in I really think we need to act fast. On the Jesus deal too.

The likes of Chelsea and Barca are going to be sniffing around once deals for Lukaku & Broja / Frenkie are complete. And we're probably going to struggle to convince players to join us ahead of clubs that have CL football.

Main targets are ST and CM. We haven't signed one yet. Good start to the window, but need to prioritise our efforts where it matters now.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby FrustratedGooner » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:33 am

Raphinha
Jesus
Tielemans
Martinez
Vieira
Marquinhos
Turner

Would represent a good window actually a fantastic one. I don’t see us getting everyone but those that we have not signed yet have got very heavy rumours.

I still would like a plan b striker who is tall and good at headers.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:32 am

Ach wrote:Their front 3 destroys ours as does their midfield and defence

But I'll go for our team

Nah, I don't think that front line destroys ours at all.

Kane scored twice as many goals as Jesus last season but he also played twice as many minutes ! Kane created a handful more goals.

Kulusevski came in mid-season and made an immediate impact, Raphina had to battle with relegation threatened Leeds all season. They ended up with similar goal contributions with Raphina having played over twice as many minutes, but my personal opinion, given the choice between the 2 players, I would choose Raphina all day.

Son is of course the more complete player, versus Saka, but teams have to double and triple up on Saka, they don't for Son. So while there can be no doubting Son's efficiency in front of goal Saka provides dangers of his own, so its not as one-sided as the numbers portray.

For the reasons above I don't think the Spurs front 3 destroys ours, I think it is much closer, Spurs of course lead though.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 am

I don't want technical players all over the pitch !! WE did this endlessly with Wenger, I want some battlers on the pitch and leaders !!

Football is not won on paper, its about fight, passion, heart and guts as well as technical ability.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 am

Santi wrote:
Est83 wrote:
22-0 wrote:Wish we had Son.. so under rated.

And, hate to say it... very likeable :hiding:

Eh? He’s a right c***

Yup !!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby 22-0 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am

so? diego costa was a c*** but he was also a beast.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reiss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:23 am

alexafc12 wrote:If we are brining Raphinha in I really think we need to act fast. On the Jesus deal too.

The likes of Chelsea and Barca are going to be sniffing around once deals for Lukaku & Broja / Frenkie are complete. And we're probably going to struggle to convince players to join us ahead of clubs that have CL football.

Main targets are ST and CM. We haven't signed one yet. Good start to the window, but need to prioritise our efforts where it matters now.

I think we're focusing on Raphina because Barca and Chelsea are in for him so we need to act quick.

Tieleman seems to have been put on the back burner due to lack of competition which makes sense.

Jesus is pretty much wrapped up.

I'm confident we'll see Tieleman / a CM arrive by the end of the window.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 am

theHotHead wrote:Nah, I don't think that front line destroys ours at all.

Kane scored twice as many goals as Jesus last season but he also played twice as many minutes ! Kane created a handful more goals.

Kulusevski came in mid-season and made an immediate impact, Raphina had to battle with relegation threatened Leeds all season. They ended up with similar goal contributions with Raphina having played over twice as many minutes, but my personal opinion, given the choice between the 2 players, I would choose Raphina all day.

Son is of course the more complete player, versus Saka, but teams have to double and triple up on Saka, they don't for Son. So while there can be no doubting Son's efficiency in front of goal Saka provides dangers of his own, so its not as one-sided as the numbers portray.

For the reasons above I don't think the Spurs front 3 destroys ours, I think it is much closer, Spurs of course lead though.

IF - we get all our forward targets - and IF - Jesus suddenly doubles his goal scoring numbers - and IF Raphina can also double his goal scoring numbers - and IF - another player (Saka) in our squad matches Son's numbers then you're right ... but that's a whole lot of IF's.

What happens IF Spurs sign a creative midfield player who increases their goal scoring numbers by 25% .... can we match that as well?

Spurs have arguably the best front three in the EPL, so let's not compare just GS but let's look at the whole EPL picture.

Liverpool and City over 90 goals a season, then you drop down to over 70 .... Chelsea, Spurs, Utd all around that level, we did it back in '19 but still finished only 5th. Scoring 70 goals is thus no guarantee of top four, especially when you still let in >50.

The HUGE differences are in GD. When you look at goal difference City / Liverpool +70 ..... then 3rd and 4th place +30 .... it's that overall GD number that normally matches with the top four.

Us last five years +23, +22, +8, +16, +13 ....... the balance of the team is just wrong, we are neither scoring enough, or stopping enough ... the focus keeps switching from defenders, to strikers, to defenders, and now back to strikers. The real issue is our failure to control midfield, until we properly address that all we are doing is tinkering .... we have been for the last five years.

You need a midfield where ALL your players are technically good AND very strong on the ball - if they don't have both those qualities they shouldn't be in the squad. Look at our rivals, do they carry weak midfield players?

FYI Spuds last five years GD - +38, +28, +14, +23, +29 .... Conte will aim at +40 GD, that's the number we need to match.
Last edited by EliteKiller on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reiss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:27 am

Finally a rational post. Completely spot on.

You can't play free flowing, dynamic football without ballers in the team. City have Bernardo, Grealish, Foden, KDB, Mahrez.. Liverpool have Diaz, Salah, Bobby, Thiago, Jota, Nunez... players that are confident on the ball, very good technically and can play in the pocket.

We are severely lacking players like this and Arteta is quoted as acknowledging that. So I'm glad we're addressing the issue because in order to impose our own style of play and dictate games, we need those kind of players.

We got rid of a load of technical players over the years like Ramsey, Jack, Cazorla, Ozil, so we desperately need them.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Rockape » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 am

theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
Est83 wrote:
22-0 wrote:Wish we had Son.. so under rated.

And, hate to say it... very likeable :hiding:

Eh? He’s a right c***

Yup !!!

:lol:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk