Major Refereeing Decisions

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Major Refereeing Decisions

Postby alexafc12 » Sat May 14, 2022 2:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:I remember during the Jose era, him telling the Spurs lads ... We have to be c***s.

Arteta needs to deliver the same message. Rather than winging about it after games we need to start playing the game.

We did play the game - Holding got under Son's skin and provoked him to react with a red card offence.
The ref decided on the day that only Arsenal would be punished for such infractions.

He has to make a meal of it. Roll around holding his face so the ref has to stop play. Manager needs to be arms in the air yelling at the ref. Players need to be screaming elbow elbow. They have no choice but to call for VAR in that instance.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sat May 14, 2022 3:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:I remember during the Jose era, him telling the Spurs lads ... We have to be c***s.

Arteta needs to deliver the same message. Rather than winging about it after games we need to start playing the game.

We did play the game - Holding got under Son's skin and provoked him to react with a red card offence.
The ref decided on the day that only Arsenal would be punished for such infractions.

Yet you call the PL the best league in the world? Sounds like it’s a pretty shit league with refs openly bias against certain teams.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yet you call the PL the best league in the world? Sounds like it’s a pretty shit league with refs openly bias against certain teams.

Weird comment. Totally unrelated
Assume you are just trying to troll.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Paul Tierney was on VAR duties today for the FA Cup final.
Nudge in the back of a Chelsea player - worse than the penalty he gave against us because the attacker was through on goal. No penalty or even a foul. Tells you all you need to know.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Sat May 14, 2022 11:36 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Problem here Jay is that you seem to be holding only the referee accountable for this loss

You've not really commented on Holding himself. You're saying Holding's behaviour is irrelevant, but Holding is responsible for his own behaviour. He can't control the referee and the actions he takes whether they are right or wrongs o he has to get on regardless. What he can do is control himself and his red card is solely on him. I disagree with others that his red is somehow Arteta's fault, he's a seasoned pro and to block a man is one thing, but the elbow was something else

I admire the positivity around the team, I really do, but here it looks like you're kind of blaming just one man, the referee.

And we can talk about softness of a penalty which it was, but at the end of the day Cedric gave the referee the opportunity to give it

People are holding Arteta partly responsible because Holding was outrageous and he should have been replaced after his yellow. He was lucky not to be on three or four yellows by the time he got his first. Early on he booted Son in the ribs after he tackled him and Son had gone to ground, no yellow for that, I thought the ref was quite lenient with him early on.

Of course he's partly responsible. I'd say for most losses he is, as are the players.

But I don't blame him for how Holding was during the game. If he had replaced him, it would have been for Tavares who has been called into question more than once, or a part fit White, who I wouldn't fancy against Son.

In fairness, when Jay says he Son shouldn't have been on the field, he is correct BUT that doesn't excuse Holding for his actions at all, and I lay a lot of blame for Thursday on him, more than on Arteta and more than the ref.

Arteta should have pulled him though, he was like a demented flea.

A decent manager who have seen the dangers and pulled him off. But we ain't got a decent manager.

He couldnt take him off the sub he had wasnt fit to be a sub, now that is managerial masterclass shit.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sat May 14, 2022 11:39 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Paul Tierney was on VAR duties today for the FA Cup final.
Nudge in the back of a Chelsea player - worse than the penalty he gave against us because the attacker was through on goal. No penalty or even a foul. Tells you all you need to know.

Jay give it a rest, on the weekend son had a free header on goal from 5 yards with no way our player was going to get the ball other than through son. Get over it
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Nuggets » Sun May 15, 2022 5:19 am

VCC wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Problem here Jay is that you seem to be holding only the referee accountable for this loss

You've not really commented on Holding himself. You're saying Holding's behaviour is irrelevant, but Holding is responsible for his own behaviour. He can't control the referee and the actions he takes whether they are right or wrongs o he has to get on regardless. What he can do is control himself and his red card is solely on him. I disagree with others that his red is somehow Arteta's fault, he's a seasoned pro and to block a man is one thing, but the elbow was something else

I admire the positivity around the team, I really do, but here it looks like you're kind of blaming just one man, the referee.

And we can talk about softness of a penalty which it was, but at the end of the day Cedric gave the referee the opportunity to give it

People are holding Arteta partly responsible because Holding was outrageous and he should have been replaced after his yellow. He was lucky not to be on three or four yellows by the time he got his first. Early on he booted Son in the ribs after he tackled him and Son had gone to ground, no yellow for that, I thought the ref was quite lenient with him early on.

Of course he's partly responsible. I'd say for most losses he is, as are the players.

But I don't blame him for how Holding was during the game. If he had replaced him, it would have been for Tavares who has been called into question more than once, or a part fit White, who I wouldn't fancy against Son.

In fairness, when Jay says he Son shouldn't have been on the field, he is correct BUT that doesn't excuse Holding for his actions at all, and I lay a lot of blame for Thursday on him, more than on Arteta and more than the ref.

Arteta should have pulled him though, he was like a demented flea.

A decent manager who have seen the dangers and pulled him off. But we ain't got a decent manager.

He couldnt take him off the sub he had wasnt fit to be a sub, now that is managerial masterclass shit.

:clap: :rofll: :rofll: Yup the man is a tactical genius. (according to Jay)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 15, 2022 8:15 am

VCC wrote:

Jay give it a rest, on the weekend son had a free header on goal from 5 yards with no way our player was going to get the ball other than through son. Get over it

Son was not getting the ball.
The same person who gave that penalty did not think one very similar but worse was a penalty just 2 days later.
The ref cheated and was looking to give Spurs a penalty to help them win. Yesterday just confirmed it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Sun May 15, 2022 8:28 am

jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:

The same person who gave that penalty did not think one very similar but worse was a penalty just 2 days later.
The ref cheated and was looking to give Spurs a penalty to help them win. Yesterday just confirmed it.

You are like a dog with a bone Jay, give it a rest FFS :rofll:
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 15, 2022 8:36 am

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:

You are like a dog with a bone Jay, give it a rest FFS :rofll:

So should all Arsenal fans be.

Lets summarise again.
The referee who gave a penalty against us on Thursday (literally IMMEDIATELY - no hesitation), watched the below happen on VAR duties 2 days later and didn't think anything untoward had happened.

Was not the first situation like this either - it happened another time too in the game.
It happens in every game.

All doubt is gone as to whether Paul Tierney was cheating against us on Thursday night.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 15, 2022 9:00 am

VCC wrote:

theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 15, 2022 9:07 am

theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 9:20 am

Actually that push was outside the area in the cup final so it couldn’t even be a penalty, but it should have been a foul.

Mistake by Tierney.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Goonerred » Sun May 15, 2022 9:26 am

Salibatelli wrote:Actually that push was outside the area in the cup final so it couldn’t even be a penalty, but it should have been a foul.

Mistake by Tierney.

Shouldn't VAR still have looked at it though? I seem to remember them giving a foul further down the pitch after a goal had been scored in VAR's early days, might be wrong though.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 9:28 am

Goonerred wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Actually that push was outside the area in the cup final so it couldn’t even be a penalty, but it should have been a foul.

Mistake by Tierney.

Shouldn't VAR still have looked at it though? I seem to remember them giving a foul further down the pitch after a goal had been scored in VAR's early days, might be wrong though.

They don’t look at decisions like that, it was outside the area.

They only look at major incidents and regular fouls like that aren’t I don’t think because the player wasn’t getting to the ball.

If it was in the area they would have looked at it.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun May 15, 2022 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk