Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby elkanofan » Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Historically Brazilian strikers have been something special and scored a hatful of goals, Jesus is not one of those.

Aguero always overshadowed him and made him look very ordinary and City IMO, I know Aguero was an amazing striker but there was a huge gulf between the two.

I’d rather we went for someone else that has more potential.

Everyone has been saying City need a striker and yet they have him and people don’t consider him good enough to be that which sums it up for me.
Can't argue with any of this. City wouldn't be buying Haaland if he was that good.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 13, 2022 5:48 am

Neither Martinelli or ESR have made lwf their own. I reckon Jesus would start there and be used as back up centre forward.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 13, 2022 10:08 am

That’s nonsense I’m afraid, then know they need a striker, that’s why they tried to sign Kane last summer.

The generational talent thing is an excuse, of course they want the best but they knew they needed a decent striker and Jesus wasn’t it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 13, 2022 11:18 am

Salibatelli wrote:That’s nonsense I’m afraid, then know they need a striker, that’s why they tried to sign Kane last summer.

The generational talent thing is an excuse, of course they want the best but they knew they needed a decent striker and Jesus wasn’t it.

Seems overly simplistic

Jesus is not Haaland, nor is he Kane. One is going to potentially be the world's best striker for the next decade and one is one of the PL's best strikers ever so naturally Jesus is not at that level.

But we should not kid ourselves that he isn't better than what we have and is a very important role player in the eam that have dominated the PL in recent years. Given he would probably get more game time ina natural goalscoring position, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of belief that he could get 15-20 goals for us as well as being a good linking CF
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 13, 2022 11:25 am

Better, yes of course he is, but is he worth 50 million, no chance.

Also how are you suppose to close the gap on teams above if you buy vastly inferior players, which Jesus clearly is, his goal record for a City team that create a shedload of chances isn’t particularly good.

As for Kane and Haaland, City only go for the best, the point is since they lost Aguero they’ve been looking for a quality replacement, clearly Jesus isn’t that and never has been.

Plus we need someone better than 15-20 goals, think we need someone like Aubameyang who can score more than that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 13, 2022 1:41 pm

Remains to be seen how Haaland does stepping up levels to play in the PL
City are on course to score 100 goals in the PL this season.
Goal scoring is not their problem.
Haaland has to score incremental goals to be a good signing.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby 22-0 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Remains to be seen how Haaland does stepping up levels to play in the PL

wrong. they got him for a steal.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 13, 2022 4:06 pm

I remember when City signed Aguero for 32 million or something like that and I thought it was a steal, this will be a similar story.

Given his age and goal record this is a real bargain. Meanwhile we’re considering paying the same amount for a player with 1 year left on his contract who has been shown to be quite limited.

Jesus would be the wrong signing for all kinds of reason unless we paid something like 25 million for him. That way we could sign another top forward, anything over that and he’s not worth it.

When does anyone pay anywhere near 50 million for a backup striker with 1 year left on his contract?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CaptGooner » Fri May 13, 2022 9:37 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Better, yes of course he is, but is he worth 50 million, no chance.

Also how are you suppose to close the gap on teams above if you buy vastly inferior players, which Jesus clearly is, his goal record for a City team that create a shedload of chances isn’t particularly good.

As for Kane and Haaland, City only go for the best, the point is since they lost Aguero they’ve been looking for a quality replacement, clearly Jesus isn’t that and never has been.

Plus we need someone better than 15-20 goals, think we need someone like Aubameyang who can score more than that.

Who could we sign for 50m that you think could give us 20+ goals? 50m for Jesus and sorted at the beginning of the window doesn’t sound terrible to me..

I’m probably just paranoid about being linked to the likes of Isak again.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 13, 2022 10:37 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Neither Martinelli or ESR have made lwf their own. I reckon Jesus would start there and be used as back up centre forward.

Hmmm yeah but is he the tracking back type?

Again, Arteta's formation would continue to hurt us, when you play a 4-3-3 its perfect for WF's and the LM and RM can help protect the left and right wing along with the fullback.

The WF's track back to midfield, not all the way back to defense, I remember what Liverpool did when we played them, the LM / RM and the LB /RB ganged up on our wingers.

Honestly, Arteta needs to do ditch the 4-2-3-1 its harming us and the game has moved on, WF's are a big part of the game now and not all WF's are willing to do hard tracking back.

I like Jesus but this has been my objection, where is he going to play?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 14, 2022 8:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:Neither Martinelli or ESR have made lwf their own. I reckon Jesus would start there and be used as back up centre forward.

Hmmm yeah but is he the tracking back type?

Again, Arteta's formation would continue to hurt us, when you play a 4-3-3 its perfect for WF's and the LM and RM can help protect the left and right wing along with the fullback.

The WF's track back to midfield, not all the way back to defense, I remember what Liverpool did when we played them, the LM / RM and the LB /RB ganged up on our wingers.

Honestly, Arteta needs to do ditch the 4-2-3-1 its harming us and the game has moved on, WF's are a big part of the game now and not all WF's are willing to do hard tracking back.

I like Jesus but this has been my objection, where is he going to play?
Yeah, I'm struggling to see where he fits too. I'd rather sign Toney or DCL as our main striker. Not cos they are better players but cos they suit the formation better and have better hold up play/aerial threat from crosses complementing the likes of saka, martinelli, esr and odegaard.

As a back up striker who also gets games on the wing I wouldn't say no but you make a good point about tracking back.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 14, 2022 10:18 am

22-0 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Remains to be seen how Haaland does stepping up levels to play in the PL

wrong. they got him for a steal.

£50m + I would imagine huge wages. Not cheap, or a steal.
He'll only be a good signing if he improves the number of goals they score.
City just don't have a problem with goals - they are the best in the league.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby alexafc12 » Sat May 14, 2022 10:53 am

Not sure what relevance the Haaland price has. He has a buy out clause in his contract ...

€50m for Jesus seems excessive. What other club is going to / can pay that amount for him ?

We should be strong here. £30m is a decent price. Otherwise move onto new targets.

For as rich as City are are they really going to let a backup player run down their contract. Although I guess if FFP doesn't apply to them it doesn't matter much
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 14, 2022 12:54 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Not sure what relevance the Haaland price has. He has a buy out clause in his contract ...

€50m for Jesus seems excessive. What other club is going to / can pay that amount for him ?

We should be strong here. £30m is a decent price. Otherwise move onto new targets.

For as rich as City are are they really going to let a backup player run down their contract. Although I guess if FFP doesn't apply to them it doesn't matter much

The problem is finding someone else comparable for £30m that has a better record. I don't think there are any cheap Premier League options and looking outside the Prem, we'll need someone that can adapt quickly.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sat May 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Jesus would be a fantastic signing. Technically gifted, good link up player, scores goals, experienced in the premier league and still very young. He’ll only get better. Question is whether he comes without champions league football.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk