2022 January Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:53 am

swipe right wrote:I will say it again, winter is not the time to be buying top talent. It is very rare that good players move in this window. It is only contract hold outs. Perhaps the club is exploring such options. We don’t know yet. Or maybe they are looking at loan deals like Wijnaldum. Which would be a decent stop gap solution.

The point I don’t get is with regards to Auba. We are certainly not going to get a top center forward in January. We rejected the chance to give Laca and Nketiah long term deals. So why did we alienate our one senior striker with a long term deal? Is it more important to make a point to the squad about tardiness or is it more important to have options till the end of the season? If Arteta had enough of Auba could he not have waited till the summer to boot him out?

No one alienated Auba.
He was dropped for not playing well, then reacted by falling into his old habits of disregarding the rules and was hence dropped from the squad.

All he needs to do is apologise and work hard for the team. The ball is his court.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:I will say it again, winter is not the time to be buying top talent. It is very rare that good players move in this window. It is only contract hold outs. Perhaps the club is exploring such options. We don’t know yet. Or maybe they are looking at loan deals like Wijnaldum. Which would be a decent stop gap solution.

The point I don’t get is with regards to Auba. We are certainly not going to get a top center forward in January. We rejected the chance to give Laca and Nketiah long term deals. So why did we alienate our one senior striker with a long term deal? Is it more important to make a point to the squad about tardiness or is it more important to have options till the end of the season? If Arteta had enough of Auba could he not have waited till the summer to boot him out?

We can make up for it if we sign Vlahovic. He was a summer target and it may be best for us to try and convince players to move in January instead of summer. Way more competition for signings during the summer and we'd be at a disadvantage if we don’t make Top 4.

So how do you convince him to move right now when he can move in summer to clubs that have secured CL? And how do you convince Fiorentina to sell mid season when they could get the same amount or more for him in summer?

The only two quality strikers that I remember moving in winter were Adebayor to us and Suarez to Liverpool. I literally cannot think of another of the top of my head.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:39 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:So, how many have the dynamic duo signed then?

We've signed the same amount as Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Leicester, Palace, Southampton, Burnley and Norwich.

That's not what I asked. :doh:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:00 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

We can make up for it if we sign Vlahovic. He was a summer target and it may be best for us to try and convince players to move in January instead of summer. Way more competition for signings during the summer and we'd be at a disadvantage if we don’t make Top 4.

So how do you convince him to move right now when he can move in summer to clubs that have secured CL? And how do you convince Fiorentina to sell mid season when they could get the same amount or more for him in summer?

The only two quality strikers that I remember moving in winter were Adebayor to us and Suarez to Liverpool. I literally cannot think of another of the top of my head.

Aubameyang as well.

If the reports are true about the club wanting a large fee up front, the player wanting the move but it's the agent holding it up because he wants a large fee as well, we have the answer. We'll have to pay up.

Because money is tight for most clubs during the pandemic, there are no guarantees they will be able to get this sort of money elsewhere. I think they're willing to play ball if the money is right. Biggest sticking point is the player and if he's willing to move in the winter, then it's just on us to pay up along with the fee to the agent if we want him bad enough.

Gone are the days where our rep would have players pushing to move to us and willing to compromise to make a deal happen. I don't fancy our chances in the summer when swimming with the big fish. Fiorentina could hold out for the summer for the bigger clubs but as said, the bigger clubs may not want to pay as much and can always unsettle the player to try and force a move.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 pm

I don't see a CM ??
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Reiss wrote:Villa interested in Bissouma apparently.

I swear if we let them snap him up.

Already signed two players we should've signed...let's not let it be 3.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:40 pm

Unfortunately we've already dented out hopes of top 4 by not having players in and up to speed earlier in January.
If we don't sign a DM and ST in January at all then we will deal top 4 hopes a big blow.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Aubameyang as well.

If the reports are true about the club wanting a large fee up front, the player wanting the move but it's the agent holding it up because he wants a large fee as well, we have the answer. We'll have to pay up.

Because money is tight for most clubs during the pandemic, there are no guarantees they will be able to get this sort of money elsewhere. I think they're willing to play ball if the money is right. Biggest sticking point is the player and if he's willing to move in the winter, then it's just on us to pay up along with the fee to the agent if we want him bad enough.

Gone are the days where our rep would have players pushing to move to us and willing to compromise to make a deal happen. I don't fancy our chances in the summer when swimming with the big fish. Fiorentina could hold out for the summer for the bigger clubs but as said, the bigger clubs may not want to pay as much and can always unsettle the player to try and force a move.

Oh blimey how did I forget Auba. That was staring me right in the face. And Arshavin come to think of it.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:51 pm

We can avoid turning this into a crisis. Firstly, we should look at some short term loans like Wijnaldum and Ramsey. They have premier league experience and can integrate fast assuming their levels of fitness haven’t dropped too far. On the striker front we can hope Laca can carry us specially since we are out of everything barring the league. Also reintegrate Auba into the squad when he returns just to have that option available if needed. We can’t afford to be precious. This season is our best chance to get back into the top four.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:55 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Aubameyang as well.

Oh blimey how did I forget Auba. That was staring me right in the face. And Arshavin come to think of it.

Yeah, Arshavin was a good one. I was just thinking of strikers but Reyes was also a good one too. RIP.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

We've signed the same amount as Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Leicester, Palace, Southampton, Burnley and Norwich.

Look up how many they've signed and you'll get your answer.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:46 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Look up how many they've signed and you'll get your answer.

Huffy puffy Phil :rofll:
Nuggets

Postby Santi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:39 pm

Good that we can bring on our new CM for the second half
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 pm

Arsenal have a seven-man list of targets which includes midfielders such as Leicester's Youri Tielemans, 24, Paris St-Germain's Georginio Wijnaldum, 31, and Lyon's Bruno Guimaraes, 24. (Mirror)

Lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 am

Ach wrote:
Arsenal have a seven-man list of targets which includes midfielders such as Leicester's Youri Tielemans, 24, Paris St-Germain's Georginio Wijnaldum, 31, and Lyon's Bruno Guimaraes, 24. (Mirror)

Lol

Wijnaldum on loan and then wait for the summer would be my preference.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk