European Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: European Politics

Postby Goonerred » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59873833

Covid: French uproar as Macron vows to 'piss off' unvaccinated

Charming!!! He has an election in April, how will that go down with the electorate?
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:44 pm

Goonerred wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59873833

Charming!!! He has an election in April, how will that go down with the electorate?

He's a fkin moron, I don't know how the French put up with him.

Such an arrogant cnt, excuse my..........french.

:P
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 pm

He's pretty good, best out of the bad bunch there atm anyway.

Correct translation is more along the lines of "annoy them" (altho somewhat cruder) btw, meaning with the covid measures they're taking. Preventing unvaccinated people from getting into bars/restaurants/cinemas etc. Perfectly sensible.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Goonerred wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59873833

He's a fkin moron, I don't know how the French put up with him.

Such an arrogant cnt, excuse my..........french.

:P

He fits in well over there.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:10 am

Yago wrote:He's pretty good, best out of the bad bunch there atm anyway.

Correct translation is more along the lines of "annoy them" (altho somewhat cruder) btw, meaning with the covid measures they're taking. Preventing unvaccinated people from getting into bars/restaurants/cinemas etc. Perfectly sensible.

If Boris Johnson had said anything like that and followed through with it, there would be riots on the streets of England.
Goonerred

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Yago wrote:He's pretty good, best out of the bad bunch there atm anyway.

How is its "sensible" when unvaccinated have to test negative to be in anywhere crowded?

Its the vaccinated who can have Covid but still get in everywhere, carrying on spreading it.

Goonerred wrote:If Boris Johnson had said anything like that and followed through with it, there would be riots on the streets of England.

Exactly.

If you come between an Englishman and his drink, there's going to be trouble.

Miserable weather and over policed, over charged public ......... all we have left is a swift pint on the weekend.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:25 am

Nice to see Lithuania getting support in the face of China's bullying.

The US is giving them $600 million in aid. Even with our pivot to Asia, we still believe in our Atlanticism bonds :grouphug:
Taiwan is creating a $200 million fund to invest in the country.
France is pushing for EU action.
Germany jumped to the other side of the fence (need to also take action but a step up from the previous government at least).
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 pm

These US/Russia talks over Ukraine are hugely important.

I think it's absolutely essential that Russia is told in no uncertain terms that it is the free choice of independent countries if they want to join NATO. It really is none of Russia's business.

After Ukraine joins NATO, Russia should be ordered to give Crimea back to them.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 am

Phil71 wrote:These US/Russia talks over Ukraine are hugely important.

I think it's absolutely essential that Russia is told in no uncertain terms that it is the free choice of independent countries if they want to join NATO. It really is none of Russia's business.

After Ukraine joins NATO, Russia should be ordered to give Crimea back to them.

It's good that we're coming to the table, but it rubs me the wrong way we're discussing the situation with Russia without Ukraine being a major part of the talks. I mean, yeah, ours and Ukraine's goals are largely aligned and it wouldn't make much difference whether they're there or not, but they shouldn't be sidelined.

Putin really is the best recruiter for NATO, though. Even Finland and Sweden are seriously considering joining now.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Goonerred » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 am

I was listening to some experts talking about this situation on the radio, when asked if we should all be worried, they said that truly we should. Very scary situation.
Goonerred

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:51 am

Dangerous times.
Putin seems to think that the US is weak and won’t respond. He’s probably right. If so, NATO don’t pose much if a threat to him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:57 am

Ukraine is an independent, democratic, sovereign state. It has already had a huge chunk of its country annexed and occupied by Russia (Crimea), and now faces further threat of invasion on its eastern border.

If the west does nothing it will be outrageous. Echoes of the late 1930s. Who is next? He already has Belarus as his puppet state. So to reinforce his 'buffer zone' he could go north to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:57 pm

Phil71 wrote:Ukraine is an independent, democratic, sovereign state. It has already had a huge chunk of its country annexed and occupied by Russia (Crimea), and now faces further threat of invasion on its eastern border.

If the west does nothing it will be outrageous. Echoes of the late 1930s. Who is next? He already has Belarus as his puppet state. So to reinforce his 'buffer zone' he could go north to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia?

That all belonged to the USSR back in the day.

I mean what do you propose the "West" do anyway, would you see us go to war with Russia over a country thousands of miles away?

The other countries you listed are in the EU so its their problem, nothing to do with us, we all know they'll do nothing.

In a way I'd rather it did happen just to show how spineless the EU really is, for all their talk of an EU military etc, not much good if they do nothing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:34 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Ukraine is an independent, democratic, sovereign state. It has already had a huge chunk of its country annexed and occupied by Russia (Crimea), and now faces further threat of invasion on its eastern border.

I mean what do you propose the "West" do anyway, would you see us go to war with Russia over a country thousands of miles away?

The other countries you listed are in the EU so its their problem, nothing to do with us, we all know they'll do nothing.

In a way I'd rather it did happen just to show how spineless the EU really is, for all their talk of an EU military etc, not much good if they do nothing.

Putin doesn't want a war with anyone that could do him serious damage. He doesn't want a war with NATO. He's trying it on. Pushing the boundaries. Seeing how far he can go in expanding his territory without anyone doing anything. He annexed Crimea without anyone lifting a finger. "They're all the same people anyway," everyone said, "That's it now, they won't go any further."

That's what was said when Hitler annexed Austria.

Now he wants to invade Ukraine 'because he feels threatened '. What Hitler said before invading Poland.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:23 am

Crimea isn't important to the US. So what if Russia gets a warm deepwater port at Sevastopol? Their navy still has to go through the Bosphorus (Turkey and Russia have a love-hate relationship so traversing it won't always be a stable option) to get to the Mediterranean and then there are still two bottlenecks (Strait of Gibraltar and Suez Canal) before they reach the open ocean, and all three (Bosphorus, Gibraltar, Suez) can easily be blockaded.

Putin will never go through the Baltic countries. That dream died in 2004 when they joined NATO, and Putin won't risk a war with NATO.

I feel for the people of Ukraine, but the country isn't geopolitically important enough to go to war over (and iirc, Ukraine doesn't want our help beyond selling them weapons). The only countries we'd go to war over are ones we have defense pacts with (Rio Treaty, NATO, Mutual Defense Treaty/EDCA with the Philippines, Mutual Defense Treaty with South Korea, US-Japan Security Treaty) and ones that are geopolitically important to us (such as Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand). Otherwise, unless Ukraine joins NATO, it's Europe's problem.

DiamondGooner wrote:

They'd be our (US and UK) problem too since they're NATO countries.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate